Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #81
Scraping Paint

City: -
Free Enterprise works

But you're the one who keeps saying that anchor size shouldn't matter to anchor performance.* Here are your sentences.* I do'nt think you're going to find a difference worth talking about between a 14lb anchor and a 44lb anchor.**And* For all practical purposes a 14lb anchor should work just as well as a 100lb anchor.**

Am I missing something here?* Aren't you saying that for a given anchor design the size and weight makes no difference in performance?* That, to me, makes no sense whatsoever.* I can't even fathom the logic behind those statements.* Or did I misinterpret your meaning?

You also said* Put another way you won't find a boat anchor that wo'nt work for your boat and it would work fine for my boat.**Double negative aside, I assume*what you're saying is that an anchor that works for my boat will work for your boat.* Well, it might, and it might not.* It will depend on how we each rig the anchor, the scope we each use, and so on.* You didn't state you were assuming the same rode, scope, etc in your post*and my crystal ball is in the shop right now.

So I could only go by the words you wrote, hence my comments on the rode and scope.* First rule of writing--- never assume the reader knows what's in your head if you don't put it down on the paper.

If I have misinterpreted your statements I'm sorry.* Perhaps there is a way to phrase your theory in a manner that's more clear to me.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 21st of November 2011 09:56:34 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #82
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Free Enterprise works

Marin quotes me **
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-first tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1125px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1121px;" colspan="2">
I do'nt think you're going to find a difference worth talking about between a 14lb anchor and a 44lb anchor.**And**For all practical purposes a 14lb anchor should work just as well as a 100lb anchor.**

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Then he asks "am I missing something here?"*

Yes. You just do'nt get it. What were we talking about? The difference size has on the performance of an anchor. You do'nt understand that I'm not talking about a 14lb anchor holding a boat in a storm like a 100lb anchor would hold that same boat. What I'm saying is that if you had a 10lb anchor and it had 1X performance and if you made a 100lb anchor exactly like the 10lb anchor except it was 100lbs the 100lb anchor would have 10X performance. Now I know it wo'nt be exactly 10X performance but it will be close enough that we as boaters need not be concerned about the unnoticable difference.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

Okay, that I understand.* So since you seem to*understand that a larger anchor will have better performance than a smaller anchor of the same design, your 1X vs 10X example, why did you ask this in the first place?

I'm still having trouble seeing how bigger and smaller anchors should act differently.

Which is what started this exchange in the first place.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #84
Guru

OK Perhaps my choice of words missed the mark.*

Just noticed your choice of words in this last post was even worse. Looks like you were just typing too fast. Wish I could do that
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #85
Scraping Paint

What's wrong with my choice in my previous post? :-) When you write as part of your job you get to the point where you can type as fast as you can think.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #86
Guru

<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1138px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1134px;" colspan="2">
So since you seem to*understand that a larger anchor will have better performance than a smaller anchor of the same design, your 1X vs 10X example, why did you ask this in the first place?

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
The word "this" should apply to something you said before "this". so I was looking for some part of that sentence to refer to. And when you say I "SEEM" to understand something extremely elementary it's not very flattering but perhaps that's how you meant it. "Do" rather than "seem". And you should have said "as" your ...example or "re" your ...example. Just dos'nt flow right but not being an English teacher I can't say what actually is wrong with it. But if you had'nt said this....
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-first tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1138px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1134px;" colspan="2"><table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-first tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1138px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1134px;" colspan="2">When you write as part of your job you get to the point where you can type as fast as you can think.*
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
I never would have mentioned the imperfections. But Marin lets not argue about this as I have the desire for you to think well of me unlike 3 or 4 years ago when I really did'nt care. I'm smoking the peace pipe now Marin and it's bad for me to smoke so I hope I won't need to smoke for long.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1138px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1134px;" colspan="2">*</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
The word "this" should apply to something you said before "this". so I was looking for some part of that sentence to refer to.

And when you say I "SEEM" to understand something extremely elementary it's not very flattering but perhaps that's how you meant it. "Do" rather than "seem".
Regarding your first statement, you are correct gramatically but you are describing a very old fashioned style of writing.* I write like people talk, not the way the grammar books say to write. In this case the "this" refers to the following sentence of yours that I quoted.* "Why did you ask this?" And then I gave you the "this" by quoting your sentence.

Things like partial sentences have become the norm, at least among contemporary writers.* As are things that are technically incorrect gramatically.* It actually makes things more readable if a book or article is written the way people talk rather than following the letter of the rules.

Critics who have reviewed my books have actually gone on at some length to praise my writing style as have individual readers who have contacted me to tell me how they liked a book.* And my publishers and editors love it.* So I'd be a fool to change it even if I could.* Writing is like editing film.* You learn all the rules first.* Then you learn how to break them to make the writing or the film that much more effective.

BTW, I use "seems" not to insult the person I'm writing about but as a way of saying that this is my interpretation of what that person said.* "It seems (to me) that he meant this, that, or the other thing."* It leaves the door open to the fact that I might have misinterpreted what he said.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #88
Guru

Well I'm flattered you should explain it so completely but now I understand it completely too. See those boxes around my quotes * ....seems like they must be a setting on TF that causes that. I hate it and need to know how to correct it. Dos'nt happen on Boat Design so I assume it's TF but I think I'm the only one w the boxes. Help.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #89
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
See those boxes around my quotes * ....seems like they must be a setting on TF that causes that. I hate it and need to know how to correct it. Dos'nt happen on Boat Design so I assume it's TF but I think I'm the only one w the boxes. Help.
*Well, I'm a computer user but I don't pretend to be computer-literate.* My guess is that it's a setting you've selected (or your computer has selected), perhaps inadvertently, either in TF as your computer sees it or in your computer itself.* Since you say this does not happen on Boat Design my guess it's the way your computer is interpretting TF.* I don't recall that your ealier posts had the boxes, just the "so and so wrote" and the lines above and below the quoted text. I could not find an obvious setting choice in the TF menus, but perhaps there is one somewhere.

Have you by chance changed browsers or operating systems?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #90
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Marin wrote:*
Things like partial sentences have become the norm, at least among contemporary writers.* As are things that are technically incorrect gramatically.* It actually makes things more readable if a book or article is written the way people talk rather than following the letter of the rules.

Critics who have reviewed my books have actually gone on at some length to praise my writing style as have individual readers who have contacted me to tell me how they liked a book.* And my publishers and editors love it.* So I'd be a fool to change it even if I could.* Writing is like editing film.* You learn all the rules first.* Then you learn how to break them to make the writing or the film that much more effective.

*Yes.* It depends upon your audience.* For writing an audit report, taking an English proficiency test, etcetera, that style won't work.* It works here, but I wish posters would keep their paragraphs shorter than*ten lines*lines (five is better).
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #91
Guru

Thank's Marin,

No *...have'nt changed browsers. And you usually do'nt see the box as I type out the quote instead of c & paste. I have a friend that visits regularly and is a Mac expert so I'll ask him. Thanks for the try Marin. Also I need to frequently click on the spell checker 8 times before it will admit I've misspelled words. Not the least user friendly. But this site is a lot better than the Willard Boat Owners Yahoo Group site. haha the spell checker must have heard me ....took only one ckick!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #92
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Thank's Marin,

No *...have'nt changed browsers. And you usually do'nt see the box as I type out the quote instead of c & paste.
Ideally, of course, you should be able to click on "Quote" in another person's post and you will automatically get that person's post in the "double line" format which you can then go in and trim to the part you want to respond to, and then type your response below it.* No cutting and pasting needed.* But for some reason you get that box when you do this instead of what your quote looks like above.* Hopefully your Mac-smart friend will be able to cure this for you.