Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #41
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Growing up in the pre-velco-shoe era, the double slip-knot was the first knot I learned. That was well before my boating days.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #42
El Capitan
City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I knew a guy in Sausalito that did custom splicing. He actually was in pretty high demand and made a nice living doing it. And he wasn't faking it. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #43
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
City: Slicker?
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #45
City: East Coast
Line doesn't last forever. Retrieving my anchor one day, I noticed that the line was damaged near the rope to chain splice and I would probably lose the anchor and chain if I anchored again so we went on to our marina even though it was dark and the staff would be gone.

I took the rode to West Marine and asked them to just reverse the line and splice the other end to the chain but they declined, citing "liability". I could not find anyone to professionally do a rope to chain splice so I had to buy new line at West Marine. They spliced it to my existing chain for a nominal fee but of course, the new line wasn't cheap.

Yes, there are instructions and videos on the Internet on how to do a rope to chain splice, but this is a pretty critical splice and even with instructions, it's unlikely that one's first attempt will be as good as what a pro who has done hundreds will be. I sleep better at anchor knowing a pro did this splice.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #46
City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
With normal three strand and a few practices they get better within a few splices. Buy some whipping and enjoy. I found a video on youtube and tried it last year. It was amazing how quickly it all came together. You can produce pretty good results by the third attempt. Add some whipping and all of a sudden your rode looks like a pro. Splicing three strand just takes a bit of time, patients, something to melt the ends and your in business. The trick is starting with enough length, I will start with more than I think I need just to make sure I don't have to start over. You'll know if you've done it properly by the look and feel. Also knowing how to work with three strand can save you some good $$ when you need to resplice your anchor rode. I paid someone $20 for a simple eye once and then discovered it didn't fit through a deck plate and had to cut it. That's when I decided to learn.
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #47
>Or just get all chain rode and never worry about chafe again.<

And you get to live with extra weight , watch the chain rust , listen to it chafe against the hull , and to scrub it inch by inch , or have constant LOW TIDE aromas on board.

A powered windlass to buy and maintain is usually a chain requirement

Great for coral infested waters , a PIA for most inland cruising.

Opinions vary.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #48

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 37 2002
I started making decent three-strand splices after meeting Brion Toss (author of Chapman's book of knots) at his booth at the Seattle boat show. With just a few hints he greatly improved my technique.

Some hints: flatten out each of the three strands after you tie on a constrictor and unlay them - don't keep them twisted and round. Cut their ends into a bit of a taper, and then tape around each end with masking tape making somewhat of a point. After each round of three over and under tucks, roll the splice between your hands to firm it up and even it out, then pull each of the three strands tight, and maybe roll again, before the next round of three tucks. You shouldn't need more than 5-7 rounds of tucks, if they're done right.

Best by far three-strand splicing tool is Brion's Point Hudson Phid - makes it so much easier than a basic fid! The directions for eye splcing that come with it are pretty good even without a book. Google Brion Toss to find his web site.

I don't have as frequent need for an eye splice, but I re-do my rope-to-chain splice annually (Google shackle splice, and you'll find Brion's detailed description). For extra durability, I finish the splice by putting a whipping around the section of the splice where the tapered ends wind up (with the masking tape removed - peeled off as I do the last tuck or two). It looks fairly spiffy, and lasts a summer of anchoring.

Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257, Volvo KAD44P)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote