Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #41
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
No offense B&B but if you don't think that there are towns and waterfront property owners in Florida that are just waiting for the time when the current ban on municipality anchorage regulation lapses to eliminate anchoring you missed the last few decades of the 20th Century when North Palm Beach and Riviera Beach attempted to PROHIBIT ANCHORING A VESSEL OVERNIGHT!!!! Or this nice little attempt to eliminate the anchorage at the north end of Lake Worth by 'making seagrass beds" and restricting access to the are in the name of protecting marine animals. This is my back yard and I have watched it for 50 years! Jack Nicklaus lives in a MCMansion on the water where this fiasco is brewing. It is well known that he and a few other landowners that abut this great anchorage are working to get it cleared out! Full Text of Public Notice to Fill and Plant Sea Grass in Northern Lake Worth | Cruisers' Net GOOGLE 1300 US 1 North Palm Beach and look at the map. This is a very popular anchorage. It is well protected from North wind during the winter, there is a public access to the road at the north end that is walking distance to a Publix supermarket, CVS Pharmacy and a long walk to a giant West Marine! The holding is in sand/mud at 17' depth. The bad news is that as mentioned in the proposal to fill this "dredge hole" in with sand to "enhance the aquatic environment" and "signage for sea grass protection" it will effective eliminate the anchorage area. Also what is not mentioned is that the reason that there is a "Dredge Hole" this large is that all that nice bulk headed property surrounding this "hole" was filled from soil taken out of the hole! And Old Port Cove Marina and Condominiums, Portage Landing where Jack Nicklaus lives and Lost Tree Village are where the push for this "Enhanced Aquatic Environment" nonsense is coming from! Typical Palm Beach County circle jerk! A developer mines fill from public bottomland, builds and bulkheads his property, and then 60 years down the road had the county re-fill his hole and get's public acces limited so that Jack doesn't have to see me enjoying my coffee in the AM while anchored on "Public Trust" land!
This sort of environmental development activity is ultimately backed and partially funded by federal programs. If you don't like the current trend...vote accordingly.

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
In the 1920's Love Field was built in Dallas. Now 4 generations later 30 something's are buying houses next to the airport and bitching about noise...go figger.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #43
Guru

City: gulf coast
As a long time ICW resident I can say the objection to boats is not the transients, It is the bums who anchor their semi derelict boats forever and come ashore to panhandle and cause problems.

The anchoring restrictions are coming about for the same reason park benches and restrooms have been removed from all your cities; a few a$$ holes ruin everything for decent people.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
In the 1920's Love Field was built in Dallas. Now 4 generations later 30 something's are buying houses next to the airport and bitching about noise...go figger.
That raises a very important point. I don't know how many of you have or plan to have waterfront residences, but here in Florida, the Realtors forget to mention that your waterfront is on a legally navigable waterway. Lord forbid that the public should know anything that may compromise "price". Buyers and renters of waterfront property need to be aware of the rights and risks concerning anything that borders their property, water as well as land.

Billyfeet, I embrace your point fully. If anyone doubts the ability of local and State governments to enforce unconstitutional, whimsical law or ordinances upon legally acting citizens, just take a look at the decades of abuse by the State of Virginia in confiscation of Radar detectors. But the senseless legal costs you point out are a part of the checks and balances that require the more sensible to battle the senseless. What I would like to see is that the legal costs become the burden of those that bring frivolous suits to clog our courts.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #45
Guru

City: gulf coast
Our local basin in FL was converted from an open anchorage to a mooring field.

The result is that what formerly was an anchorage basin with eternally unattended deteorating boats and several sunk derelicts is now a popular transient mooring field with city maintained moorings, pump out boat service, dingy dock, access to shore side showers restrooms and laundry facilities all for $15 per night.

The bums are gone and responsible boaters are welcome, works for me.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #46

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Bayview, I just got off the phone with the Palm Beach County official who managed the Turtle Cove fill proposal. A very well informed and pleasant man. The project has been put on indefinite hold. Then I asked him about possibility of a mooring field with facilities like Boot Key, Stuart, Vero and your area. He was totally unaware of the current Florida State laws, the Mooring Field test period that has been extended, or that there was a time that the possibility to get on the list for a organized mooring field plan was offered. A missed opportunity for this area! I'm glad to hear that things have worked out well in your area.
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post

The result is that what formerly was an anchorage basin with eternally unattended deteorating boats and several sunk derelicts is now a popular transient mooring field with city maintained moorings, pump out boat service, dingy dock, access to shore side showers restrooms and laundry facilities all for $15 per night.

Same in St, Augustine. If you are a Florida resident, you can be a live-aboard at the Salt Run Field, on a St Augustine Municipal Mooring for $1,663.20 per year (non-live aboard is $1,164.24). A non resident live-aboard is only ~$1,100 more per year. Since the mooring fields were established, the number of derelict boats has decreased and the water quality has improved with the free pump outs which are also free to the anchor outs if they ask. What a great deal IMHO.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #48

Yikes. Our very nice mooring field in Nantucket Harbor does tend to keep out the derelicts... but at ~ $70/night for a 50' boat it isn't hard to imagine why! $15 bucks... what a bargain!

Dave
Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post

Look, maybe I am just tight, but $15 a night w/o a monthly, weekly is very, very high. I am in one of the best middle tier Marinas on the coast and including live aboard fee of $100 I am at $420 for a 40 foot slip. $15x30= $450. No docks, finger piers, land to buy. Just a heavy weight, some cable and a float + some public facilities and the laundry is self supporting by coin operated.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Look, maybe I am just tight, but $15 a night w/o a monthly, weekly is very, very high. I am in one of the best middle tier Marinas on the coast and including live aboard fee of $100 I am at $420 for a 40 foot slip. $15x30= $450. No docks, finger piers, land to buy. Just a heavy weight, some cable and a float + some public facilities and the laundry is self supporting by coin operated.
But what does your marina charge per night for a transient slip?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Obviously there is a significant difference between the rates and size of the various fields with St. Augustine being the lowest price and having annual rates and that becomes an important item the state does need to address in evaluating the pilot program. I haven't used the fields but I do consider the $450 per month to be high too. $15 a day is reasonable but then I translate that to something like $80/wk, $200/month, and $1800 per year. St. Augustine is less than that for residents and more for non-residents but not greatly out of line. Clearly St. Augustine is encouraging long term use while some others are only encouraging short term.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While mooring fields in the middle of prime territory downtown etc...are slightly palatable....

...having to pay to anchor for up to a week or so in a town's city limits seems to be outrageous in any shape or form.

Now...if the town provides amenities that you plan on taking advantage of...then pay as you go as long as it's a fair price.

We all have our thoughts on what anchoring to take a break and visit an area is...for some it may be as little as 2-3 nights...others it may be 30 gays or so. Either way...where does a town get off saying what it is right/wrong?

If you send a kid to school in a town and aren't paying property taxes one way or another...well...figure it out...don't just make anchoring illegal.

This issue is WAY smaller than some of the outrageous dipsy you know whats are making it...all everyone with a reasonable attitude can do is get involved wherever you can.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #53

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Ocean or river, the rules are the same. We own over a mile of the Jefferson River, here in SW Montana. Our deed is a homestead dating back to 1864. We pay the taxes for the hard ground UNDER the river, but of course not the water. There are are times that "drifters" coming down the river think the beaches along our part are public property. Some are so insistent, that I now carry a gun most of the time up here. My wife & I came across a couple that just wanted a rest & to eat lunch. We let them stay. I think one needs to play the hand dealt at the time. You cannot stop people from use public water. I don't think we should.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #54
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...having to pay to anchor for up to a week or so in a town's city limits seems to be outrageous in any shape or form.

There is an easy fix for that. Find other, less prime, accommodations. I think mooring fields are a very good compromise.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #55
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
There is an easy fix for that. Find other, less prime, accommodations. I think mooring fields are a very good compromise.
My first sentence explained that..I was just talking about anyplace nearby that dingy travel is possible but not outrageous....not prime but doable anchoring.

I would love for every nice little town to put in a safe mooring field for $15 bucks a night...not everyone can afford that but I can. If they did...then it wouldn't be such a struggle to go places and have to gamble there would be room. If there were tens of thousands of moorings available...maybe there wouldn't be such a problem.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #56
Guru

I have no problem with $15 a night on a per night basis. The issue I have weekly, monthly.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
I have no problem with $15 a night on a per night basis. The issue I have weekly, monthly.
Move along. Move along.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #58
FF
Guru

The question is not the price of the city mooring , it is weather the city prohibits anchoring Outside the mooring field.

If the rest of the anchorage is open to transiting folks ,its no big deal to charge the lazy or inexperienced for convienance.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #59
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
When we were in St Augustine this spring, there were boats anchored out beyond the mooring field. They still had access to the dinghy dock (I'm not sure if there was a fee involved or not). I do know that they had free pump outs it they asked.

We also anchored out in front of Fernandina Harbor Marina, which is a great anchorage. The dinghy dock was $3/day, with showers was $7/day and with the Captain's Lounge, $10/day. When went to pay just for the dinghy dock, they said, "Don't worry about it. Enjoy the town."

We also had a similar experience at Titusville. There are still friendly harbormasters and good deals out there. It's not all bad.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #60
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
With due regards to the resident 'esquires' amongst us; It appears the issue is about landowners who have the money and 'influence' to buy votes in cities hall to try to enact this type of legislation. An unscrupulous Lawyer will take any case, as long as deep pockets pay the retainer!

It happened when I lived in Fla in the early 80's. (and was beaten down) It has happened several times on Cape Cod in the 90s and recently.

It does appear, even when the regulations are enacted, they eventually get thrown out, when they go to appeals court. But.... it costs $$$$$ Beaucoup Bucks to do this.

Someone earlier said: if a wealthy boat owner tallies up the money, it can be fought and won.

I have heard many arguments about 'Riparian Rights' with arguments trying to be made for both sides defense. Since I'm not a lawyer I cant say what is what. There seems to be a valid part about 'being able to 'use' the water in front of privately owned property.' But the blanket restrictions on others use is hard to pin down. Does anyone know a federal definition of Riparian rights?

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote