Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First embarrassing anchoring fiasco

Scenario....Going to seaside concert in the park/bay. One of the first boats in. Big crowd following no one giving you a chance to get set and anchored before they drop the hook in front of you.

First attempt bow anchor (Bruce) hooks up stern anchor (danforth) breaks loose boat swings perpendicular to the world.

Pulled up to re-set got crowded not too much room to move about. Dropped the hook Bruce pulled (slime soup mud bottom) tight quarters boat drifts close to the next boat.

Pulled forward about 70 yards dropped the hook. Again could not hook up. this time 1/2 rope jams on the windlass gypsy and freezes up. Drifted up close to large boat while dragging with a jammed anchor line. Put the boat back in gear to move away from large neighboring boat and fouled prop on their stern line.

All stop. Side tied to big boat. Got a loaner mask, went in the drink and cleared the anchorline/prop. They were quite nice. "It's happened to all of us".

Wet and embarrassed headed back to our slip and went home.

One thing I found out. Recently rigged my Bruce fishing style with the chain on the front eye and a tye wire at the rear of the anchor to the chain. Must change the angle enough to where I was not getting the right angle to set firm in mud. First time ever for my Bruce.

Need to find out why my rope is jamming in the gypsy.

jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
That sucks.Better luck next time.

Jamming in the gypsy.I can't decide if that needs a three x rating or a dirty hippy singing it.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Like the guy said....It's happened to all of us. Embarrassment is a lot easier on the wallet than damaged boats.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Like the guy said....It's happened to all of us. Embarrassment is a lot easier on the wallet than damaged boats.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I was relieved FlyWright didn't have someone foul his anchor west of Alcatraz Island during Fleet Week.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Congratulations. You survived without a scratch.

Whenever I am in a jam I remember that I made it out of worse without a scratch. Now you can so remember as well.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: gulf coast
I am unfamiliar with "fishing mode" anchor hook up. I thought those forward holes were for buoys and retrieval lines???
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I am unfamiliar with "fishing mode" anchor hook up. I thought those forward holes were for buoys and retrieval lines???
You can shackle your chain end to the eye on the crown then run the chain back to the normal attachment point on the shank and secure it to that eye with some light seizing wire through a chain link and the eye. I would not use wire ties.

Then if the anchor gets hung up on the bottom you can power over it and past it which should cause the chain to break loose from the wire which then changes the pulling force to the crown of the anchor so you can pull it out of the obstruction backwards.

This setup is what the slot in the shank of a Manson Supreme anchor is for.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The "fishing" anchor rig is used extensively in SE AK by the charter guys. It's effective but almost always the maximum holding power of the anchor is greatly reduced. Either that or the fwd tie never comes into play and of course then you'd be better off rigging the anchor in the usual way. Tie it too light and you'll not be able to set your anchor. I've never used the fisherman's rig. Predictability and dependability is golden.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Sounds like a real anchoring fubar! At least you were able to stabilize the situation, correct the fouling and return home without damage to your boat or others.

It's good that the folks in the area were reassuring and helpful. Throw a belligerent drunk into the situation and it changes everything.

There might be nothing wrong with the windlass. Sometimes a twisted rode can cause jambs going in or out. It might help to lay out all your rode on the dock and untwist as needed. It's also a great chance to survey your rode for wear and corrosion.

Maybe you can head back to the same place and re-anchor without the crowd. You might learn what technique works best there. No two anchorages are exactly the same.

You've been onboard for 4 years and have 29 posts. Tell us a little about your boat and yourself. Don't you own a Californian?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
at the 4th of July fireworks up in the CA delta there is always tons of anchoring drama.

Last year we were sound asleep at 2am in a raft up with about 15-20 boats when someone pounded on our door. Come to find out a LARGE sailboat with a LARGE power boat rafted to each side of it had dragged anchor and was dragging down the front of our raft up, perpendicular to our boats, snagging anchors and dragging boats in our group along with it (which was slowing it down at least). The three boats were on ONE anchor and it was WINDY... definitely poor planning!

People in our group starting honking, lighting them up with search lights, someone got on the bull horn... finally woke them up. the two powerboats untied and were gone in a flash. Not standing by to make sure all was ok... GONE.... I thought that was kind of rude to their friends but I concede there is nothing they could have done.

The couple on the sailboat was valiantly trying to get their anchor up, it must have been so heavy with all the anchor rodes caught on it. I remember seeing the woman (it was just a man and woman on the boat) lying on the foredeck, half hanging off, trying to get the rodes off their anchor while the man was at the wheel. I think he ended up coming up there and getting them off with the boat hook. Once they were free they were gone in a flash also.

Our raft up had enough anchors out that even though some boats had moved a bit we were still secure. the real fun was the next day when we tried to leave. Five boats had anchors and rodes tangled together, including us.

We took well over an hour to get untangled. There were two really badly tangled that had to get friends in a ski boat to take the tangled mess on to the back of the ski boat and work the tangle free while the skippers kept their two boats apart (they had been at least five boats apart in the raft). We were tangled with the boat next to us that had pod drives, we kept ourselves tied side by side and had him control our location while we got the anchors untangled. They were not badly tangled, luckily.

For all that, nobody got hurt, no boats were damaged and now it is a story to tell. Happens to everyone at some point. I would prefer to not have another situation QUITE that dramatic though.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
.............. Recently rigged my Bruce fishing style with the chain on the front eye and a tye wire at the rear of the anchor to the chain. ...........
That just about guarantees you'll be drifting out to sea some night while you're sleeping.

Rig your anchor as the manufacturer intended and use a trip line in the forward hole if you're concerned about getting the anchor caught on something.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That just about guarantees you'll be drifting out to sea some night while you're sleeping.

Rig your anchor as the manufacturer intended and use a trip line in the forward hole if you're concerned about getting the anchor caught on something.
That was a temporary set up from fishing a reef the weekend before. Back to the original configuration. The one that sets well.
Jim
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Sounds like a real anchoring fubar! At least you were able to stabilize the situation, correct the fouling and return home without damage to your boat or others.

It's good that the folks in the area were reassuring and helpful. Throw a belligerent drunk into the situation and it changes everything.

There might be nothing wrong with the windlass. Sometimes a twisted rode can cause jambs going in or out. It might help to lay out all your rode on the dock and untwist as needed. It's also a great chance to survey your rode for wear and corrosion.

Maybe you can head back to the same place and re-anchor without the crowd. You might learn what technique works best there. No two anchorages are exactly the same.

You've been onboard for 4 years and have 29 posts. Tell us a little about your boat and yourself. Don't you own a Californian?
Day off Monday. Will head back in the evening and anchor. Another concert next Thursday night I want to come back and to this right.
Will have the rope out of the locker and run all of it thru the windlass this Sunday on the dock.
About the boat
She's one of the first Californians built by Jules Marshall. She's not a trawler but a 1966 twin screw express. I'm on this board to learn about the characteristics of various trawlers. I'm taking my time looking for a trawler for my retirement purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards a Californian 38 or 42 aft cabin.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The "fishing" anchor rig is used extensively in SE AK by the charter guys. It's effective but almost always the maximum holding power of the anchor is greatly reduced. Either that or the fwd tie never comes into play and of course then you'd be better off rigging the anchor in the usual way. Tie it too light and you'll not be able to set your anchor. I've never used the fisherman's rig. Predictability and dependability is golden.
The reason they call it a fishing anchor is because it is only used for temporary positioning. No one would want to use this as an overnight technique, unless they like nighttime excitement.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Guru

The Super Sarca also has the sliding slot attachment method, though mine came with a bolt so I could limit or prevent slot travel of rode attachment.
Nearly every anchoring is a unique event. So many variables, depth, bottom type, wind speed, tide, wind direction,wave action, other boats, etc etc...
With time you develop your anchoring expertise but, every now and then, something will go wrong, if only the consequence of another boat`s anchoring error. Jim, keep working on your technique and acquiring experience. Learning goes on, for most of us.
Great to see Jennifer (Pineapple Girl) posting!
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

YESSSSSSSSSS. My honor has been redeemed. Went back to the scene of my embarrassment for another concert. This time anchor rigged in its normal configuration vs fishing configuration. Windlass checked for proper operation. Pulled in to the area to anchor, dropped the hook, played out proper scope, drifted back to soft set the hook, tied off the line and set it with engines in reverse. Didn't budge an inch all night. A few around me kept having to reset several times during the evening.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Happened to us last week- although it was operator error (too short a scope). Even with the extreme short scope, the Manson Supreme kept us safe.

Indeed, it happens to all of us!

Not to drift the thread, but I recommend dumping the Bruce for a newer anchor (Manson, Rocna, Ultra, Sarca, etc).

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with the Bruce. Has worked every time except that one time described on my original post. Caused by changing the anchor setup to a fisherman's style for rocky bottoms.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hard to imagine there being much wrong w the Claw anchor w so many of them on boats. The Claw is even the second choice of anchor in the fishing fleet in SE Alaska and most of those guys anchor a lot.

I bought a new Claw to try as a primary anchor on Willy when we finally get back into the water. It's oversized for Willy (30') at 33lbs so should be fine. I got out my grinder and sharpened the center part of the fluke quite a bit. I also ground a bit off the two OB tips as well but not much there. I coated the ground off spots w aerosol cold galvanize. That worked really well on another anchor. How the Claw works at short scope and it's legendary setting performance is the attraction to me. Also the fact that one dos'nt see much anchor from the helm decreases the chance of not seeing a log dead ahead.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote