Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Im brand new to boating...... Ive haven't even dropped my anchor yet.. Ill be practicing when I get back to land.
I'm not exactly an "old salt" myself and have had some fun times keeping the anchor set I'm thinking of installing a Go-Pro camera to the hardtop and selling tickets

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Im brand new to boating...... Ive haven't even dropped my anchor yet.. Ill be practicing when I get back to land.
I know that you do not mean literally that you will be practicing putting out the anchor back on land (although you may). But actually, if you are new to it, then doing it in a manner that lets you see just exactly what the anchor is doing is not a bad idea. I used to watch mine set in the Caribbean (clear water), and they do some amazing things. Not at all necessarily what you think they will do. :-) Also used to dive them in the Caribbean (because we would anchor for days or even weeks), and that is also instructive.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
Maybe it's the difference between the copies and the original Bruce that affect the holding power of the claw types. I've measured my original Bruce to a claw copy on the boat next to me. There are differences in the measurements and angles. The copies also appear softer. I've seen a fair share in my marina with bent shank's from getting stuck I presume. My Bruce has only let go one time and it was in the above described thread. The only good anchor is the one that you can go to sleep with.
In my and seems other experienced cruisers opinions...it still may be more 90% captain than anchor...just so many variables j...

Just like the seaworthiness of a vessel...as much or more so the skipper than the boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I know that you do not mean literally that you will be practicing putting out the anchor back on land (although you may). But actually, if you are new to it, then doing it in a manner that lets you see just exactly what the anchor is doing is not a bad idea. I used to watch mine set in the Caribbean (clear water), and they do some amazing things. Not at all necessarily what you think they will do. :-) Also used to dive them in the Caribbean (because we would anchor for days or even weeks), and that is also instructive.
LOL yeah I didn't quite think that through

What I mean is. Im a US Merchant Marine and I have a good chunk of time left out here on the ship before I get back to land where I can then get on my boat and head back out to sea to practice setting
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The Bruce descendants are all a bit different. That is a good thing in an important way. There's a chance that one (or more) could be better. And w people like CaptBill11 running them down (the Bruce) perhaps I should be glad I've got a Lewmar. The most unique Claw I've seen is the Plastimo. The Plastimo has long slender flukes. Wanted to get one until a certain Lewmar looked so good I just bought it. Looks a lot like a Bruce though so perhaps I should'nt expect too much. It is big though (33lbs).

I've been through two 50 knot gales w an anchor that the Practical Sailor testers could'nt even set. One was 13lbs .. The other 19. Anchor tests are good reading but frequently misleading or even invalid. Especially the ones w anchor advertisements included.

That's OK Bill ... Guys have been bash'in the Big Bruce for about 6 years here on TF.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #46
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
In my and seems other experienced cruisers opinions...it still may be more 90% captain than anchor...just so many variables j...

Just like the seaworthiness of a vessel...as much or more so the skipper than the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Based on the amount of people I see who seem to anchor successfully seeming to use no special technique, I'd say it's far less then 90% the captains skill that come into play to get an anchor to set. At least I sure hope so.

I don't really believe anchors are so poorly designed that without the use of some magic technique they will fail to set reliably most of the time. At least I hope not.

In some special cases could some technique or finesse be needed to get an anchor to set correctly, sure. On a day to day basis, not some much IMO.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote