Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Happened to us last week- although it was operator error (too short a scope). Even with the extreme short scope, the Manson Supreme kept us safe.
Just curious, do you shackle the chain to the slot or to the single hole? Seems to me, shackling the chain to the slot could lead to breaking the anchor loose when the tide changes.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Hard to imagine there being much wrong w the Claw anchor w so many of them on boats. The Claw is even the second choice of anchor in the fishing fleet in SE Alaska and most of those guys anchor a lot.
You mean other than the fact that they drag and have repeatedly been shown to have low holding power?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You mean other than the fact that they drag and have repeatedly been shown to have low holding power?
That's in your universe, not mine.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's in your universe, not mine.

Yes and the sky is also blue in mine. :-)

That plus the fact that Bruce style anchors come in last or near the bottom in most every anchor holding power test in my universe as well.

http://fortressanchors.com/advantage/benefits/stronger
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Well, we love our claws in the California Delta mud. My 15kg Claw had never failed me in literally hundreds of anchorings in the last 7 years. I'm hesitant to switch for something that can beat that 100% track record.

Maybe there's something about technique, type of bottom and accompanying ground tackle that makes a difference for some.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
YESSSSSSSSSS. My honor has been redeemed. Went back to the scene of my embarrassment for another concert. This time anchor rigged in its normal configuration vs fishing configuration. Windlass checked for proper operation. Pulled in to the area to anchor, dropped the hook, played out proper scope, drifted back to soft set the hook, tied off the line and set it with engines in reverse. Didn't budge an inch all night. A few around me kept having to reset several times during the evening.
Glad you jumped back on that horse and rode it to victory! Scope is your friend, especially when setting the anchor. If you need to reduce the scope later due to tight confines, the claw can handle that better than some.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Well, we love our claws in the California Delta mud. My 15kg Claw had never failed me in literally hundreds of anchorings in the last 7 years. I'm hesitant to switch for something that can beat that 100% track record.

Maybe there's something about technique, type of bottom and accompanying ground tackle that makes a difference for some.
We sailed around 20,000 miles with a 44# Bruce on a 12 ton sailboat and dragged twice. Once in deep mud in Hospital Bay and once off Lahaina because I was too lazy to do a proper job of setting it. Delfin started with a Claw and it held her fine in an unexpected gale off the West Coast of Vancouver Island in 55 knots. Had it failed then, we would have been on the rocks. While I think our Ultra now is a superior hook, there was nothing to complain about in the performance of the Claw, so I take most of the pontificating from people who have never used one about what a lousy hook it is with a grain of uninformed salt. As they say, everyone has an opinion, just like a certain orifice.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #28

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Yes and the sky is also blue in mine. :-)

That plus the fact that Bruce style anchors come in last or near the bottom in most every anchor holding power test in my universe as well.

Fortress Anchors – The World's Best Anchors! – Stronger Holding Power
Never had a problem with mine either.

Is this Marin in disguise perhaps?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Never had a problem with mine either.

Is this Marin in disguise perhaps?
There do seem to be some interesting similarities.....
Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:

As they say "YMMV"
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
As they say "YMMV"

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
so I take most of the pontificating from people who have never used one about what a lousy hook it is with a grain of uninformed salt. As they say, everyone has an opinion, just like a certain orifice.
I've used them, they've dragged. I try not to use them anymore. Unless they are very over sized.

But if they're so great why do they come out at or near the bottom in holding power in test after test?

Or is that just another example of uninformed salt?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #33
Grand Vizier

Quote:
I've used them, they've dragged. I try not to use them anymore. Unless they are very over sized.

But if they're so great why do they come out at or near the bottom in holding power in test after test?

Or is that just another example of uninformed salt?
No, but perhaps just poor anchoring technique. The CQR generally comes out at the very bottom of anchor tests, yet oddly, in the hands of experienced seamen that seem to work quite well, being until a few years ago the anchor of choice for circumnavigators aboard small yachts for decades. The Bruce was considered quite an improvement at the time, although I agree with you that the bigger the Bruce, the better. But as they say, YMMV.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
No, but perhaps just poor anchoring technique. The CQR generally comes out at the very bottom of anchor tests, yet oddly, in the hands of experienced seamen that seem to work quite well, being until a few years ago the anchor of choice for circumnavigators aboard small yachts for decades. The Bruce was considered quite an improvement at the time, although I agree with you that the bigger the Bruce, the better. But as they say, YMMV.
Part of the issue with today's Bruce anchors maybe that they are not really Bruce's and more. But copies and in some cases poorly made copies.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #35
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Ahhhh,home.It never feels like home around here anymore until the inevitable " best anchor" thread drift shows up.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Ahhhh,home.It never feels like home around here anymore until the inevitable " best anchor" thread drift shows up.
Well I'm trying to do my part. So while I'm at it, can I get you your pipe and slippers sir, a brandy as well? Or perhaps just more popcorn?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:

Al, maybe the simple answer to all the differing views is that if your current anchor suits your usual bottom - substrate that is, not derrière - then as we all try to anchor in good conditions, and in as sheltered a possie as we can, the anchor is not subjected to the max, and therefore copes well.

Last Easter here on Moreton bay, the weather was so calm, you could have anchored anywhere with just a large brick tied on the end of a bit of rope and not moved.

I think I can also say, Capt Bill11 is not Marin heavily disguised, but he did use to quote someone else's saying which is probably spot on, and that was "no-one's anchor ever fails...until it does.."
Old 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Well I'm trying to do my part. So while I'm at it, can I get you your pipe and slippers sir, a brandy as well? Or perhaps just more popcorn?

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Maybe it's the difference between the copies and the original Bruce that affect the holding power of the claw types. I've measured my original Bruce to a claw copy on the boat next to me. There are differences in the measurements and angles. The copies also appear softer. I've seen a fair share in my marina with bent shank's from getting stuck I presume. My Bruce has only let go one time and it was in the above described thread. The only good anchor is the one that you can go to sleep with.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Im brand new to boating...... Ive haven't even dropped my anchor yet.. Ill be practicing when I get back to land.

Electro is offline   Reply With Quote