I ordered a new Super Sarca back in February and it arrived the day after I had to leave to work in LA. I was gone for a little over four months. I finally made it back yesterday. I changed it out today. It fits pretty good on the roller. I cannot wait to try it out. I thought about going out this weekend but then decided not to as it being the 4th of July all the crazies will be out and about.
The 66 lb. SL claw was on the boat when we bought it. I usually dive on the anchor when we anchor out and have always been frustrated that this anchor would almost always just lay on its side and set with only one side fluke and part of the center fluke penetrating the seabed. I think the problem is that the shank is too heavy. The flukes are small and the shank is massive. I bet the flukes only represent 40% of the anchor’s total weight. I thought about cutting the shank off just above the flukes and then weighing both and seeing just what percentage the shank weight is, but that would be destroying a “useable” anchor. Still it is hard for me to understand what they were thinking when they made this thing. They were definitely relying more on weight than surface area for holding power.
Look how small the fluke area is on the SL Claw compared to the Sarca.
Maybe I am wrong but the shank weight seems so out of proportion to the fluke size and weight.