Fender clips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shufti

Vessel Name
Wine Down
Vessel Make
Riviera 35' FB
Hi all,

Thinking of investing in some fender clips and wondering if anyone can recommend a brand (or warn of brands to stay away from) - or are they all much of a muchness? My fender lines are 5/8inch so interested in clips that will take a larger diameter line.

Cheers!

Similar ocncept but not looking for anything quite so grand. More like thiese ones:

xl2.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. FW (post #4). I got suckered into buying 4 of these at a boat show. Hate 'em. Would rather tie a bunch of ugly-assed granny knots for the trouble it takes to move these between stanchions.

Greetings,
Mr. FW (post #4). I got suckered into buying 4 of these at a boat show. Hate 'em. Would rather tie a bunch of ugly-assed granny knots for the trouble it takes to move these between stanchions.

Agreed. They came with my boat and I threw them away.

A device that lazy boat owners use to avoid learning how to tie a clove hitch--which easier than tying a shoe. Which may explain why they all wear loafers.

Hey, long time no hear from. Missed ya!:)

Here's are revolutionary fender clip, it's called "A knot" I know it's mind blowing and all but really try to grab the concept. :D :p :thumb:

Attachments

• image-3510509888.jpg
    image-3510509888.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 108
A clove hitch works for me, - and it works on any sized line.

With fender clips/hooks, you still need to tie them off to a stanchion to stop them moving laterally, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having them. (I guess the purpose is saving 1.5 seconds in tying a clove hitch)

Thanks for the replies. For what it's worth I can tie a clove hitch (and do at present on fender lines) - was more thinking it may assist non-regular crew and my kids in putting out the fenders (they always ask 'can I help'). That and the fact that two of our fender positions on each side are a bit tricky to bend over and tie any knot as the [small] width of the gunnels in those positions is very slim making anything other than walking on them quite awkward. Sorry to cause your eyes to roll so - must be very tedious.

Thanks to those with serious answers - looks like they aren't worth it after all (especially if you have to tie them to stabilise laterally anyway).

BTW Auscan - your avatar and choice of boat bring back many great memories from the three (i think it's three - maybe 4) bare-boat charters on Cuddles motor-sailors the missus and I did in our youth around Hinchenbrook (and the Family group) and The great Sandy Straits. Great boats, Great times.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually a serious answer and I don't mean to offend, but is that not an opportunity to teach new people (kids included) how to tie simple knots?

In a case like this they might actually be willing to learn something that they missed earlier in life.

The clove hitch is the perfect knot for this aplication (very quick and simple) and and it works for me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. For what it's worth I can tie a clove hitch (and do at present on fender lines) - was more thinking it may assist non-regular crew and my kids in putting out the fenders (they always ask 'can I help'). That and the fact that two of our fender positions on each side are a bit tricky to bend over and tie any knot as the [small] width of the gunnels in those positions is very slim making anything other than walking on them quite awkward. Sorry to cause your eyes to roll so - must be very tedious.

Shufti, no problem with Peggie's post. We go WAY back! She's just giving me crap...and she really knows her $hit! (rim shot)

Peggie, me tie a knot? I'm kind of lost on the whole concept. I'm still trying to get a handle on that cleat thingy. :D

images

Last edited:
Mike - yes of course I'll be teaching them. The 8yo is fine but the 6 and 3yo might be a challenge for a year or two. I thought for a few bucks I might get the little ones a bit more involved than 'just sit there and be good'.

FW - fair enough, this bloody typed medium makes it hard to distinguish a wry smile.

Apologies headmistress - looks like I jumped the gun and read more into your response than I should have.

Mike - yes of course I'll be teaching them. The 8yo is fine but the 6 and 3yo might be a challenge for a year or two. I thought for a few bucks I might get the little ones a bit more involved than 'just sit there and be good'..

This reminds me that I actually need to do better in the "teaching" department this Summer. So many times it is just easier and quicker to do it yourself and I am guilty of this more times than I can count.

Yes, it's a juggle i know, I know. I too could be a better teacher at times. It is very hard sometimes to slow down and go through something point by point when you just want to go 'zip,zip - done'.

Yes, it's a juggle i know, I know. I too could be a better teacher at times. It is very hard sometimes to slow down and go through something point by point when you just want to go 'zip,zip - done'.

Just when you are docking is not a good time :rolleyes:

This reminds me that I actually need to do better in the "teaching" department this Summer. So many times it is just easier and quicker to do it yourself and I am guilty of this more times than I can count.

This is an area where I've worked really hard at. I let my boys(18 & 13) do the bulk of the navigation and helm duties. I try hard to only advise and observe from a discreet distance. It has been very satisfying thus far, I'm pretty much only at the helm for docking anymore.

Thanks to those with serious answers - looks like they aren't worth it after all (especially if you have to tie them to stabilise laterally anyway).

BTW Auscan - your avatar and choice of boat bring back many great memories from the three (i think it's three - maybe 4) bare-boat charters on Cuddles motor-sailors the missus and I did in our youth around Hinchenbrook (and the Family group) and The great Sandy Straits. Great boats, Great times.

It won't take the little ones long to learn a knot or two. Another option, - rather than removing them underway, you just tie off the other end of the fender to hang them horizontally, then just get someone to untie the bottom line and it is hanging at the right level.

Nice to hear that the Cuddles bring back good memories for you. I haven't seen another motorsailer version. Very few were made. Do you remember if it had the same cabin shape, with the reverse slanting windows? and a gaff rigged main?

My Coot's fenders are "permanently" tied to the rails. They rarely need adjustment, and lay on the deck when underway.

img_196524_0_fad3b1b3e9c848ed110c24893c9a6bed.jpg

Nice to hear that the Cuddles bring back good memories for you. I haven't seen another motorsailer version. Very few were made. Do you remember if it had the same cabin shape, with the reverse slanting windows? and a gaff rigged main?

None of the Cuddles we hired had the pilot house arrangement like yours appears in your avatar. As a life-long stink-boater with only a few forays 'to the dark side' - I have no idea what gaff rigged main is. I do know we had one up to 7.5kn in the Sandy straits under wind power alone- but that was with about 4 knots of tide assistance :)

Ahh - then no, none of the ones we hired had mains like that. I believe (if memory serves) they all had self-furling, 'normal' mainsails.

Lying the fenders on the decks works with your nice wide decks Mark, but not for my flush foredeck, or my smallish cockpit.
Yup - that sail rig is similar to mine but with the extra mizzen mast. I must get a photo one day, with the sails up.

Shufti - actually the stinkboaters are considered the dark-side. Me- I have one foot on both sides. I cop it from either end.
I've only had my baby up to 7.5 knots with both sails and motor going pretty much flat out.
My GPS has recorded 8.5 knots according to its peak memory, but it must have been surfing a nice wave to get to that speed.

Surfing, like, totally counts, dude.

Hmm... hearing you recount your top speed, maybe my memory is slipping and we did have the motor on. I shall ask the better half later on. It was certainly blowing hard right up our bum, screaming tide and possibly the most weirdly exhilarating leg of a boat trip I've ever done.

For folks that use larger locks a fender clipped to a lifeline may hardly be enough as the boat rises.

Loose the fender , scratches the rub rail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom