Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #21

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Yes, it's a juggle i know, I know. I too could be a better teacher at times. It is very hard sometimes to slow down and go through something point by point when you just want to go 'zip,zip - done'.
Just when you are docking is not a good time

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This reminds me that I actually need to do better in the "teaching" department this Summer. So many times it is just easier and quicker to do it yourself and I am guilty of this more times than I can count.
This is an area where I've worked really hard at. I let my boys(18 & 13) do the bulk of the navigation and helm duties. I try hard to only advise and observe from a discreet distance. It has been very satisfying thus far, I'm pretty much only at the helm for docking anymore.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. For what it's worth I can tie a clove hitch (and do at present on fender lines) - was more thinking it may assist non-regular crew and my kids in putting out the fenders (they always ask 'can I help'). That and the fact that two of our fender positions on each side are a bit tricky to bend over and tie any knot as the [small] width of the gunnels in those positions is very slim making anything other than walking on them quite awkward. Sorry to cause your eyes to roll so - must be very tedious.

Thanks to those with serious answers - looks like they aren't worth it after all (especially if you have to tie them to stabilise laterally anyway).

BTW Auscan - your avatar and choice of boat bring back many great memories from the three (i think it's three - maybe 4) bare-boat charters on Cuddles motor-sailors the missus and I did in our youth around Hinchenbrook (and the Family group) and The great Sandy Straits. Great boats, Great times.
It won't take the little ones long to learn a knot or two. Another option, - rather than removing them underway, you just tie off the other end of the fender to hang them horizontally, then just get someone to untie the bottom line and it is hanging at the right level.

Nice to hear that the Cuddles bring back good memories for you. I haven't seen another motorsailer version. Very few were made. Do you remember if it had the same cabin shape, with the reverse slanting windows? and a gaff rigged main?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My Coot's fenders are "permanently" tied to the rails. They rarely need adjustment, and lay on the deck when underway.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #25

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Nice to hear that the Cuddles bring back good memories for you. I haven't seen another motorsailer version. Very few were made. Do you remember if it had the same cabin shape, with the reverse slanting windows? and a gaff rigged main?
None of the Cuddles we hired had the pilot house arrangement like yours appears in your avatar. As a life-long stink-boater with only a few forays 'to the dark side' - I have no idea what gaff rigged main is. I do know we had one up to 7.5kn in the Sandy straits under wind power alone- but that was with about 4 knots of tide assistance
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
... I have no idea what gaff rigged main is. ...
This ketch has a gaff-rigged mainsail:

Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #27

Ahh - then no, none of the ones we hired had mains like that. I believe (if memory serves) they all had self-furling, 'normal' mainsails.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #28
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Lying the fenders on the decks works with your nice wide decks Mark, but not for my flush foredeck, or my smallish cockpit.
Yup - that sail rig is similar to mine but with the extra mizzen mast. I must get a photo one day, with the sails up.

Shufti - actually the stinkboaters are considered the dark-side. Me- I have one foot on both sides. I cop it from either end.
I've only had my baby up to 7.5 knots with both sails and motor going pretty much flat out.
My GPS has recorded 8.5 knots according to its peak memory, but it must have been surfing a nice wave to get to that speed.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #29

Surfing, like, totally counts, dude.

Hmm... hearing you recount your top speed, maybe my memory is slipping and we did have the motor on. I shall ask the better half later on. It was certainly blowing hard right up our bum, screaming tide and possibly the most weirdly exhilarating leg of a boat trip I've ever done.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
FF
Guru

For folks that use larger locks a fender clipped to a lifeline may hardly be enough as the boat rises.

Loose the fender , scratches the rub rail.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #31

Yes, indeed - back to topic. Interesting that no one has come out in support of the fender clips. Sad - I guess the fender clip debate isn't going to make a trilogy with the 'which anchor is best' and 'periodic running of diesels' epic topics. Seems pretty cut and dried.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I have 2 of these and like them, but they only accommodate a line up to 1/2 inch / 12.5 mm.

Fendergrip Adjustable Fender Hanger - Overton's

Now that RT Firefly and Flywright have admitted to using them, I have to confess that I keep two fenders on each side held by these things. The Admiral loves them for quick up-down or vertical to horizontal adjustments in locking or when approaching a dock. They're a real pain for moving, otherwise. I expect they'll go into the yard sale when the Admiral gets back from Trawler School.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. hh. Correction. I stated I had them, not that I used them. They sit, unused, in the junk drawer. You state the Admiral loves them for the quick up and down BUT you have to tie a knot in the free end while in use or there's a good chance they'll slip right off while adjusting. So, to move them or remove the fender for storage, one has to untie the knot, remove the line and re-tie the knot to keep them from slipping off the line onto the deck or better yet, into the drink. Great, if the fender is not stowed or if it remains in the same position on the rail. We tend to stow our fenders when not in use so as not to clutter up the deck or, ugh, run with them hanging over the side.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
heck just let your fenders hang over the side like many do or if you want to look real salty...get rid of the fenders and bolt tires to your gunnels....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

...or are they all much of a muchness?

We've found a cow hitch works pretty well; cheap too

-Chris
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Great, if the fender is not stowed or if it remains in the same position on the rail. We tend to stow our fenders when not in use so as not to clutter up the deck or, ugh, run with them hanging over the side.
Exactly. The Admiral requires two large fenders prepared and ready to drop on either side of the boat, vertically and horizontally. They are stored on the rail while underway unless it's a long passage.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote