Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #21

City: ponce inlet,key west
Vessel Name: WMAN2BLAME
Vessel Model: 54' MONROE TRAWLER
Wman2blame

Just trying to see if pics show up on posts.

Wman2blame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #22
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
My Willard,
Disp. 16000lbs. Anchor 18lbs. = 800-1 ratio.
Does that actually work and keep you in place? Seems small....

Seaweed:
Weight 7000 pounds
Anchor 33 pound Rocna
Chain: 100' of 1/4" G4

And when I recover from the financial hit of the engine swap I'll buy another 150' of chain for the bow and move the 100' piece to the stern for my stop anchor (a 16 pound Hydro-bubble)

One thing I've had trouble with is figuring her displacement. I was on the .gov site for documentation and came away confused. Is there a trick to it that I've forgotten to determine displacement for my boat?

Thanks!

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
http://janice142.com

janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
For weight ask the guy on the travelift next time you haul out and ask him. They have scales in at least most of them. Or seek out info from the manufacturer.

"keep me in place"? Always has. But when anchored in 50 knot winds both times I've was using a very unusual anchor .. that I trust. See pics. I use only small lengths of chain and 400' of nylon line. I also have a 13lb, 18lb and 35lb Danforth, a 22lb Claw, an 18lb Manson Supreme, and a 35lb Dreadnought. Used all but the 35lb Danforth. Most up to 35 knot winds. The anchors in the pics are XYZs. The one on gravel is older. I used it in one of the 50 knot gales. It was 13lbs. I sent it to the landfill when we moved south as it would not set in anything but soft mud. The other XYZ is not original. I modified it by putting a larger chisel shaped "nose" on it and it has set every one of the 10 (or so) times I used it on my trip south. See older post "Long Way Home" (there's two). Must have all been soft bottoms as I can't imagine it setting in anything else. In the future when it dosn't set I'll just put out another anchor. My 35lb Danforth is unusual too. Just acquired it recently. I think it was made by a salvage company. The only Danforth I've ever seen that looks strong enough. The shank and stock are 3/4" but it probably is just mild steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0261 copy 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24079  
Attached Images

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
For weight ask the guy on the travelift next time you haul out and ask him.
It's been my experience that the TravelLifts don't give an accurate weight. During the last 3 haul outs I've asked the operator to give me the weight of my boat. In each case the reading was over 23,000 lbs and there is no way my boat weighs that much.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
Guru

Well Walt it's been my experience that some TF members don't give an accurate account of political matters either. Re the oil thread. Hard to get good information these days.

I have no idea about the travel lifts as I've not inquired about Willy on the lift and I only know what the manufacturer and all the Willard owners say. Willy's heavy but it suites her. I assume they have scales on the travelifts so they won't pick up something too heavy for the lift so accuracy for lighter boats (most that the TL will handle) isn't necessary. The Port of Everett was right on re my Sumnercraft but that was just re the manufacturer's specs.
So you're probably right.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I once asked a travel lift operator how much Possum weighed. He gave me a number but said it wasn't very accurate. His lift didn't have a scale but he estimated the weight from the hydraulic pressure needed to lift her.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #27
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
"keep me in place"? Always has. But when anchored in 50 knot winds both times I've was using a very unusual anchor .. that I trust.
That is an unusual anchor. I'm glad it successfully held you. So far I've not had to anchor in mud so I'm not certain how mine will work in those conditions. I'm hoping I don't have to experiment!

I do know that if I don't pull up anchor by day three I have to power out the Rocna -- with the old 25 pound plow it always came up with the windlass. I'm always at anchor so my perspective on anchors probably differs from the marina folks. Well, I did tie up to a dock back in January for a week (visiting friends) and then again I think it was in May for two days. Otherwise, on the hook works just fine for me.

Life is great afloat.

Janice aboard Seaweed
http://janice142.com
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Guru

Don't know that boat Janice but she looks a bit heavy in the bow.
You should be aware that your boat with a high performance anchor like the Rocna should weather almost anything. Given a 5-1 scope or better that anchor is one of the highest performing anchors in the world.
Looks like you like dogs better than boats.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
I also have a 13lb, 18lb and 35lb Danforth, a 22lb Claw, an 18lb Manson Supreme, and a 35lb Dreadnought. Used all but the 35lb Danforth. Most up to 35 knot winds. The anchors in the pics are XYZs.

Don't know that boat Janice but she looks a bit heavy in the bow.
You should be aware that your boat with a high performance anchor like the Rocna should weather almost anything. Given a 5-1 scope or better that anchor is one of the highest performing anchors in the world.
Looks like you like dogs better than boats.
Sorry dear Eric, but I just have to call you out on this one. You are extremely conscious of the need to avoid excess weight in the bow, as noted in your comment to Janice above, yet you have all that hardware, presumably on board, because it's a bit late to decide what anchors to take along out of the garage when you are out at sea, and decide the ones you have are not suitable, so how on earth does that work. You must be dragging so much dead weight around, even if used as ballast and not in the bow, it must be upping your fuel consumption and taking up valuable space. Why don't you just buy one decent anchor, and sell all the others except for one favourite as the spare/stern anchor - I suggest your Manson Supreme.
Why don't you give Rex a hail, and see what deal he might cut you to ship a Sarca #5 to your door..?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Guru

You've told me many times I should stop buying more anchors and you've told me many times I should buy one like yours. Hmmm?

As to weight .. add'um all up. Dosn't amount to much (about 50lbs) compared to 300' of chain. And I usually only have three anchors aboard. On my trip south I was play'in anchor tester but was so pleased w my modified XYZ I used it more than the others. I was amazed at how well it worked. Once I got down here I was planing on making a pointed "nose" for it (as in pics) but since I think it has more holding power than any anchor in the world now I think I'll keep it like it is and use another anchor when it dos'nt set.

And if I get another anchor it will probably be a Fortress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71524 copy 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	24104   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71523 copy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24105