Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Senior Member


 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Chesapeake Anchor Holding Power Test

Good day,

Just a quick note to let you know that during the week of August 4th, we will be conducting an anchor holding power test in the soft mud bottoms of the Chesapeake Bay aboard the 81-ft Rachel Carson, a research vessel that is owned & operated by the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science in Solomons, MD.

Chuck Hawley, who is a long-time sailor with an impressive resume will be aboard to serve as an independent reviewer of the testing. Chuck was formerly the VP of Product Testing at West Marine for many years, and he was present at the tests we conducted in the SF Bay way back in 1990, and he was involved in West Marine's highly-publicized tests that were conducted in 2006.

We will also have aboard a solid group from the boating media as well, with writers from several of the USA's largest magazines.

I will keep you updated on the progress of the testing once we begin, which I am sure will be of great interest to many of you.

Have a great weekend,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
__________________
Advertisement

Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,178
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Brian. When you say "We will be conducting and anchor holding power test".. is this a test sponsored by Fortress to compare their anchors against others? Regardless, it will be interesting to see the independent views and published rag evaluations. Do you have your test sites picked out? Will they include Rivers?

Spec's on Rachel Carson:

Type: Research vessel
Tonnage: 78 GT
60 DWT
Length: 81 ft (25 m) o/a
Beam: 18 ft (5.5 m)
Draft: 4 ft 8 in (1.42 m)
Installed power: Two MTU 10V 2000 M-72 diesel engines, 2 1,205 hp (899 kW)
Propulsion:
Two Hamilton HM 651 water jets
30 hp (22 kW) Wesmar V2-12 bow thruster
Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-December-3466-img-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	31602  
__________________

__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Member


 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Brian. When you say "We will be conducting and anchor holding power test".. is this a test sponsored by Fortress to compare their anchors against others? Regardless, it will be interesting to see the independent views and published rag evaluations. Do you have your test sites picked out? Will they include Rivers?

Spec's on Rachel Carson:

Type: Research vessel
Tonnage: 78 GT
60 DWT
Length: 81 ft (25 m) o/a
Beam: 18 ft (5.5 m)
Draft: 4 ft 8 in (1.42 m)
Installed power: Two MTU 10V 2000 M-72 diesel engines, 2 1,205 hp (899 kW)
Propulsion:
Two Hamilton HM 651 water jets
30 hp (22 kW) Wesmar V2-12 bow thruster
Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Hi Larry,

We are paying for the boat charter, the test gauges and data logging equipment (which includes a running line tensiometer), the competitive anchors, etc.

We have picked the testing site with input from the local university and Rachel Carson crew, and it is not far from where this research vessel is docked.

The location is at approximately Lat: 3818'58.49"N and Long: 7626'48.94"W

Thanks,
Brian
Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,052
I pass by the Rachael Carlson when we head out the harbor. To bad I wont be in the area that week. You could see the test from the waterfront.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor test.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	31603  
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,730
What anchor brands will be tested?
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Capecodder's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 266
I look forward to see what anchor will come in second place?
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Member


 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
What anchor brands will be tested?
Dwhatty,

Please see the below attachment.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchors to be Tested,jpg.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	31605  
Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,730
Thanks Fortress.
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Well at least we now know which one is most likely to come in at the bottom of the test.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,489
Bill, you're a trouble maker!
As a Fortress dealer I can tell you
they are a first class company to deal with and they stand behind their products.
__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Guru
 
Forkliftt's Avatar
 
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,433
I'm interested. And two thumbs up to Brian and Fortress for having the confidence and courage to present the test before the fact. Best of luck and may the Best Anchor Win!


Present 42 Sundeck
__________________
Steve Point Cadet/ Biloxi, Mississippi USA
*Present 42 twin 135 Lehmans
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Could this mean no more anchor threads? Could the Great Debate be settled?
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Could this mean no more anchor threads? Could the Great Debate be settled?
Yep, this will settle it once and for all----that is until someone in the US gets a Sarca, and starts it all over again.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I pass by the Rachael Carlson when we head out the harbor. To bad I wont be in the area that week. You could see the test from the waterfront.
Too bad, Dave. You could have been our officially designated TF observer. Looks like a fair assortment of anchor types. I can't deny that the recent TF ad for the Fortress anchors in California had me interested. I do keep a F-23 on my bow rail, mostly for a stern application, but I sure like the idea of storing an big-assed oversized (but relatively lightweight) anchor somewhere just in case. If it had been here in FL, I'd probably have done it.
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,251
I've got a Fortress for a back-up/stern anchor although my primary is a claw. The claw brings up less bottom mud (thus less holding power?) and doesn't "bite" me with moveable fins. Also, my perception is that the claw is better in handling tidal current directional shifts, my primary concern.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Go team rocna!!!!!!
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,557
I think I`d rather see an independent organization doing the testing, but maybe no one does, and this is the only way testing gets done. Is soft mud bottom a fair all round test for all anchors?
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress Anchors View Post
Good day,

Just a quick note to let you know that during the week of August 4th, we will be conducting an anchor holding power test in the soft mud bottoms of the Chesapeake Bay aboard the 81-ft Rachel Carson, a research vessel that is owned & operated by the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science in Solomons, MD.

Chuck Hawley, who is a long-time sailor with an impressive resume will be aboard to serve as an independent reviewer of the testing. Chuck was formerly the VP of Product Testing at West Marine for many years, and he was present at the tests we conducted in the SF Bay way back in 1990, and he was involved in West Marine's highly-publicized tests that were conducted in 2006.

We will also have aboard a solid group from the boating media as well, with writers from several of the USA's largest magazines.

I will keep you updated on the progress of the testing once we begin, which I am sure will be of great interest to many of you.

Have a great weekend,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
Why bother? We already know that the Fortress will show what it always has - outstanding, best of breed performance. But having said that, I await the result with bait breath!
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
I am curious as to how clocking wind and/or tidal current shift conditions will be tested. It will also be important to document the setting process for each respective anchor and individual test. After all anchoring is at least 80% technique.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #20
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Bill, you're a trouble maker!
As a Fortress dealer I can tell you
they are a first class company to deal with and they stand behind their products.
Ah, you might want to look at some past anchor test result.

Because my post was not a dig at Fortress. But a joke about how Bruce/claws always seem to come in at the bottom of anchor tests.
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012