Old 11-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #821
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Try 1-800-ONA-HOOK

That's the test we routinely use, too. And our shank routinely brings mud up, sometimes almost all the way up to the swivel. I can't always prove the shank was actually buried that far, though...

-Chris
In all this discussion Chris, remind me what anchor you have?

How else do you think mud could get up on the shank of a fixed shank anchor? Now on that old Danforth I spoke of, I suppose if the rode was dead slack over a long period of time the shank could get some mud on it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #822
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

In too many videos: Pickup trucks pulling anchors along surface with rode parallel to ground does not a realistic-boating anchor set condition make.

Just sayen!!
Art, I could be wrong about this, but the pickup truck pulling was not all about setting. It was mostly about holding power. Notice that at that scope all the anchors set. I think another type test would be better for setting an anchor.

Plus the tester, Robinson, is an independent tester. The yellow cage vehicle is their design.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #823
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Art, I could be wrong about this, but the pickup truck pulling was not all about setting. It was mostly about holding power. Notice that at that scope all the anchors set. I think another type test would be better for setting an anchor.

Plus the tester, Robinson, is an independent tester. The yellow cage vehicle is their design.
Yo, Don - We both could be wrong bout everything we say in terms of anchor calisthenics! - LOL

Then maybe I should change my wording just a bit... although... if it were holding and not setting they meant to primarily represent, I wonder why each film has nearly equal time in showing setting (some times even more time for setting) as to the holding accomplished thereafter? Why not have anchor pre set and focus longer on holding?? Vids still by majority have rode pulling pretty much parallel to ground which would (in a positive manner) affect holding as much as it would setting regarding any anchor design... as compared to real life 5-1 (or less) to 7-1 or more scope allowance.

Sooo... here's my just a bit changed wording: "Pickup trucks pulling anchors along surface with rode parallel to ground does not a realistic-boating anchor set [or holding] condition make.

Cheers! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #824
Scraping Paint

City: -
In the instruction pamphlet that came with our Rocna way back when, the use of all-chain rode was strongly recommended. Perhaps for the angle of pull reasons you describe....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #825
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In the instruction pamphlet that came with our Rocna way back when, the use of all-chain rode was strongly recommended. Perhaps for the angle of pull reasons you describe....
I believe so, Marin. Heavier the rode (particularly full chain; larger the link the better - for added weight) then more parallel with bottom will anchor shank remain. Therefore better angle for anchor fluke(s) digging into bottom. This basic physics fact is reason Fortress Anchor's 45% angle adjustment capability works so well for setting and holding. Fortress 45% shank to fluke angle makes up for shorter rode scope and lighter weight rode... such as short chain attached to line.

As has been know for centuries: "Angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to hypotenuse of the square" - LOL
Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #826
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Don, just to clear up one possible confusion, the short beach test videos Delfin put up did not show the DATS yellow cage machine for standardised testing Robinson used - that's on the Anchorright website videos, best seen in the 'snatch test' video, I think you'll find.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #827
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
In all this discussion Chris, remind me what anchor you have?

How else do you think mud could get up on the shank of a fixed shank anchor? Now on that old Danforth I spoke of, I suppose if the rode was dead slack over a long period of time the shank could get some mud on it.

Our main anchor is a pivoting SuperMax, one size smaller than recommended for our boat weight. (Brought it over from our previous boat.)

I only meant that I've never dived on the anchor to see for myself. Sorta too muddy and murky here, usually, to be able to see well enough to mess with it...

-Chris
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #828

City: Fort Lauderdale
In the spirit of Marin's post regarding the government web site for anchors, and Chris / ranger42c's toll free anchor number, here's a very scientific holding power test of (2) Fortress FX-125s, with unfortunately disappointing results:

Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #829
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress Anchors View Post
In the spirit of Marin's post regarding the government web site for anchors, and Chris / ranger42c's toll free anchor number, here's a very scientific holding power test of (2) Fortress FX-125s, with unfortunately disappointing results:

With respect Brian, I think that only illustrates one of the problems with the Fortress design. My understanding is that if a wind shift had occurred, and the SUV had reversed course and backed over the pallet, it is even less likely the Fortress would have held in those conditions.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #830
Art
Guru

Brian - All I can say:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #831
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish

-Chris
Old 11-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
With respect Brian, I think that only illustrates one of the problems with the Fortress design. My understanding is that if a wind shift had occurred, and the SUV had reversed course and backed over the pallet, it is even less likely the Fortress would have held in those conditions.
Delfin, quite possible. However, with all due respect in return, if a wind or tidal shift had forced the SUV in reverse, and it ended up centered directly over the FX-125 pallet, then those anchors might have slowed further movement and there might have been a more positive outcome to this comprehensive, real world test.

Brian
Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #833
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Delfin, quite possible. However, with all due respect in return, if a wind or tidal shift had forced the SUV in reverse, and it ended up centered directly over the FX-125 pallet, then those anchors might have slowed further movement and there might have been a more positive outcome to this comprehensive, real world test.

Brian
Maybe, but I would want to see actual objective and empirical data, preferably garnered by the United States government and have the test not merely limited to a single surface, like asphalt. Unless this experiment is repeated in gravel, ice, sand, quicksand, tundra, and the Okefenoke Swamp, I remain skeptical as to its relevance.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #834
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I can't figure why lightweight fortress anchors are on a pallet anyway. Unless they are for a cruise ship or aircraft carrier....the average 6 year old should be able to pick one up in each hand.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #835

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I loved the test of the Fortress FX-125 in post # 828. I have three anchors, an ultra on all chain as a main and two FXs as a backup on the bow and one as a stern anchor(chosen because of the weight and having to set by hand or with the dinghy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max52513017.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	34331  
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #836

Quote:
Maybe, but I would want to see actual objective and empirical data, preferably garnered by the United States government and have the test not merely limited to a single surface, like asphalt. Unless this experiment is repeated in gravel, ice, sand, quicksand, tundra, and the Okefenoke Swamp, I remain skeptical as to its relevance.
Agreed. I think that the cats played an integral role in this FX-125 testing, and should also be included in any further testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I can't figure why lightweight fortress anchors are on a pallet anyway. Unless they are for a cruise ship or aircraft carrier....the average 6 year old should be able to pick one up in each hand.
Thank you for the unintentional lead-in to a shameless promotional opportunity.

Much appreciated,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lazaros-Stavrou-kerisguy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	34358   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Tim-Barrett.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	34359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim-Rodger.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	34360  
Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #837
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
That is a cool demonstration, Brian.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #838
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Agreed. I think that the cats played an integral role in this FX-125 testing, and should also be included in any further testing.

Thank you for the unintentional lead-in to a shameless promotional opportunity.

Much appreciated,
Brian
Without independent testing, we have no way of knowing whether or not these crumb crunchers were actually holding anchors suspended by helium balloons. Data please.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #839
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
That's it. You sold me. I'm buying one for my petite wife for her birthday.

I'll let you know how much she loves it.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #840

Quote:
Without independent testing, we have no way of knowing whether or not these crumb crunchers were actually holding anchors suspended by helium balloons. Data please.
You are right to be skeptical. For our magazine ads, we photoshopped the hair of the first lady below with the yellow top to a darker brown, as her flaming red hair was thought to be a distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
That's it. You sold me. I'm buying one for my petite wife for her birthday.

I'll let you know how much she loves it.

She will love it as much as these other ladies, although a couple of them are not quite so petite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lady_with_Fortress.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	34361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy-Miller.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	34362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob-Taylor.jpg
Views:	47