Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

City: Longboat Key
Chain Anchor Rode

My boat is a Pursuit 365I and it comes with 300 feet of 5/8 braid and 15 feet of 5/16 chain. I am soloing to the Bahamas and have seen first hand the severing of an anchor line and a boat loose in the night. I am thinking about replacing the 15 feet with 60 feet of chain realizing that in the Abacos most anchoring depths are usually no more than 12 feet. Your thoughts
Chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I would use more chain than 60'. Go with 100'. If you want to anchor with all chain in 12' of water in a boat with the bow 4' above he water that means it takes 6 x(12+4) = 96' of chain for a 6:1 scope.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I'll ditto David's sentiments. We've anchored a LOT in the Bahamas, our rode is 400 ft of 3/8" chain. I'd want all chain in the Bahamas, we've had experiences where the chain snags on rock outcrops with reversing currents. I wouldn't want that happening with a nylon rode. I'm sure there are plenty of cruisers who have anchored in the Bahamas with a nylon rode without incident, but I'm not one of them.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You will need some sort of bridle if you are going with all chain.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Having gone aboard two boats that had worn through their rope anchor line I support the idea of more chain. 100 ft would be the easiest to use as you would be using the gypsy to power up the anchor chain and not having to switch midstream from the capstan.

Tides and shifting winds can cause an anchor line to wrap around coral or debris and then increased wind can cause the anchor line to chafe. This is what happened to both boats I, along with others, had to board and reanchor to save them from grounding.
In both cases the owners were at the beach when the anchor line cut through.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have 120 ft of chain on my 34 (37 LOA) and 240 ft of 5/8 Brait. I anchor 3-6 times per fishing day in ~30-35 ft and almost always use just the chain portion. At an overnight anchorage, I've got the extra rode for a 'proper' 5:1 or better scope.

It's nice to have choices.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Chain rode makes for good sleeping.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
A few years ago, we were anchored on vacation. We came back to the boat from shore. Very shortly after arriving a dinghy came up to us from a neighboring boat. He advised us that while we were gone, a center console had fouled their prop in our anchor line (Nylon line). The operator managed to stop and free the wrapped line from her prop. Then she simply left. No note.

I checked the line and found the area that was wrapped. I found a small nick in the line. At the time I had a lot of scope out because it had been blowing around 25-30 mph for the previous few days. (I suspect the amount of scope is what caused half of the problem, as the operator didn't expect the line to be some close to the surface that far away from the boat. But then again, if she looked at the angle of the road, it could have been easily deduced). I shorten scope so the nick was in the anchor locker.

I went to 130 feet of chain and about 150 of line. The line never sees water.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
I wouldn't go to the Bahamas with anything but all chain rode. I like to sleep at night.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I/m on the west coast, so all chain.

BTW Chris Welcome to TF
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
On our previous boat where we cruised the west coast of BC, we had 150' chain and 250' brait. Rarely did we see the brait but it was nice to know we had the extra if needed. An immeasurable help was the Maxwell HRC10-8 windlass, that seamlessly transitioned from chain to brait and vice versa.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
All chain for me too!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
All chain for me too!
+1 what Crusty said.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I am all chain also. But have you considered attaching a float of some sort attached to the line to keep it off the bottom where it can chafe?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:01 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
All chain if the boat can safety hold that weight. On my small boat I switched to poly line. Floating. Keeps it off the sharp limestone and never had a problem. But honestly I never overnight anchored and it was a very specific situation.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
All chain if the boat can safety hold that weight. On my small boat I switched to poly line. Floating. Keeps it off the sharp limestone and never had a problem. But honestly I never overnight anchored and it was a very specific situation.
I've used a small poly ball on the rode fixed twice the depth up the rode from the chain fastened with a tuck and a rolling hitch, saves the weight and expense of chain on smaller boats. Same as your idea with poly but poly doesn't take shock and stretch like nylon.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I've used a small poly ball on the rode fixed twice the depth up the rode from the chain fastened with a tuck and a rolling hitch, saves the weight and expense of chain on smaller boats. Same as your idea with poly but poly doesn't take shock and stretch like nylon.
Good idea. I don't think it's good for nylon anchor rode to touch bottom. When I snorkel in the limestone beds (we call them the "potato fields" off the Pearl) all I see are nylon lines (and fishing lines) criss-crossing everywhere.

The OP in the Bahamas, with a good length of chain on the bottom, can shorten scope so the nylon isn't extensively laying aground. Or use floats like you suggest. Best is to try to avoid coral areas and not damage them in the first place of course.

Oh BTW, I noticed when I was on a charter in Ha Long Bay (north Vietnam) that most of the big boats there were using floating plait for anchor rodes. Similar to a poly/polyester blend. They are basically neutral, or float a few percent. So they don't float enough to be ensnared by another boat passing by (like my polyethylene line does) but they keep off the bottom. The stretch is not as great as nylon for shock absorption, but still isn't bad. UV resistance is mediocre. Anyway, I think it's a good compromise.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:48 PM   #18

City: Camarillo
Chain with Nylon rode bridal to smothout tugging & surging

I have a Full Displacement Kadey-Krogen 42 -- Heavyer boat than yours & I am on the west coast.

2 anchors on bow --- I have all chain on both. 275 feet chain on each side -- port side is 3/8" HT & Starboard is 5/16" HT.

---- I run dual, but different style anchors on the bow -- different types for different holding ground.
I run one anchor as a Bruce on port side & the other is an Ultra Plough on Starboard side.

On Chain Bitter end is an additional 50 feet of 5/8 spliced to end link of chain & secured to the boat in chain locker, just in case I need to cut it & run in storm conditions.

if your concerned about the weight in the bow, go with G-4 High Test in a smaller chain link size.

Nylon rode is fine for a lunch hook & as a snubbing bridal.

However, Not recommended for overnight sleeping. Particularly in the area of the Bahamas where your going.

All chain with a bridal of nylon rode to smooth out the tugging & surging will be well worth the investment.

you won't regret it.

Have fun.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Guru

All chain for me. I have seen several incidents where nylon Rodewas cut, either intentionally or by accident. A lot tougher to cut a chain Rode
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #20
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Good idea. I don't think it's good for nylon anchor rode to touch bottom. When I snorkel in the limestone beds (we call them the "potato fields" off the Pearl) all I see are nylon lines (and fishing lines) criss-crossing everywhere.

The OP in the Bahamas, with a good length of chain on the bottom, can shorten scope so the nylon isn't extensively laying aground. Or use floats like you suggest. Best is to try to avoid coral areas and not damage them in the first place of course.

Oh BTW, I noticed when I was on a charter in Ha Long Bay (north Vietnam) that most of the big boats there were using floating plait for anchor rodes. Similar to a poly/polyester blend. They are basically neutral, or float a few percent. So they don't float enough to be ensnared by another boat passing by (like my polyethylene line does) but they keep off the bottom. The stretch is not as great as nylon for shock absorption, but still isn't bad. UV resistance is mediocre. Anyway, I think it's a good compromise.
I'm thinking of using trawl floats for deeper water as they're made to not crush at depth, if you put a poly ball or foam float too deep they squish. I have twisted nylon for the fiber part of my rode so I plan to just short spice a short length of line at the appropriate place to attach a float.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote