Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Let's Stir The Anchor Debate a Little, Shall We!!

http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2015/0...21970-79471101

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Why, oh why ... ???

Confused by anchors? Here’s an easy way to think about the styles of anchors out there — and which one is right for you.

Right for me? Yes, if I plan to decorate a garden with it.

Maybe for the boat? Not really, change the freaking roller/mount if the right anchor does not fit your boat's existing rigging.

Right for the environment and conditions your boat is anchored in? Yes, that's it ... but this article, and many other discussions, do not focus on that.

Yield the floor now ...
Old 04-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Fisheries are selling Rocnas. And doing a great job of it. Saying what anchor is best is a lot like saying what paint is best ... they all work good and the differences are usually small. The fisheries link is just selling Rocnas. And a link on the link is to Peter Smith. Rocna's are popular but as HOLLYWOOD has said in the past "there's a reason for that" but the obvious reason may not be the reason you're thinking.

And the very question of what anchor is best totally ignores what it would be best at. And actually what is probably most in demand is an anchor that shows (or attempts to show) how knowledgeable the owner of the boat is. Dragging is caused by poor bottoms ... not poor anchors.

What is popular is #1 in our culture. What is trending in pleasure boating now is trawlers and the anchor trending is what Marin calls "next generation" products. You've got to have them because it makes you "cool" in the heavy cruiser crowd. And of course being cool is .. well cool, but most importantly NOT UNCOOL. There are those that have no desire to be a rock star and run Bayliner boats w Claw or Danforth anchors. And there are those that have the most popular boats and the most popular anchors, engines, paint ect.

All kidding aside though the Rocna is a very high performance anchor. But it's interesting that they did so little market research that they didn't realize the market was limited to only certain boats because of bow design. Most of the people they wanted to sell anchors to had bow pulpits. So they went from "roll bars are where it's at" to just trying to upgrade the Spade.

Has there been any so called independent testing of the Vulcan? The shank is indeed very impressive and I'm speaking mostly of the I beam cross section and quality look.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
So they went from "roll bars are where it's at" to just trying to upgrade the Spade.

Has there been any so called independent testing of the Vulcan? The shank is indeed very impressive and I'm speaking mostly of the I beam cross section and quality look.
Eric... For the umpteenth time, Rocna has not "gone from rollbars to an upgraded Spade." The rollbar anchor is still their primary product. They came out with the Vulcan because they recognize a market opportunity when they see one.

The majority of recreational boats have pulpits that can take a rollbar or any other kind of anchor. But there is a significant enough number of production boats like Bayliner/Meridian that for whatever reason have slotted pulpits which limits the types of anchors they can carry easily and neatly. It's a large enough market that Rocna decided to try to grab some of it -- designing and producing an anchor is probably less challenging and expensive than designing and making a car bumper so it's not like coming out with a new anchor is much of an investment on the part of the anchor manufacturer especially now that Rocna is just a tiny division of Canada (Pacific) Metals-- so they cranked out the Vulcan design based on basic design principles that work and put it into production.

And voila, a new product that fits the slotted pulpits on things like Bayliners and whatnot that carries the already respected and well-known Rocna name. Instant positive perception in a world where perception is 75% of everything.

Nowhere do they say the Vulcan represents an improvement in performance over their rollbar anchor. They say they're good, of course--what else would they say?

I suspect that were it not for the sales opportunity represented by the slotted pulpit folks, Rocna never would have bothered with the Vulcan. As I said, they're smart folks who don't let a chance to make another buck pass them by.

And the Vulcan may be a good anchor. It probably is. But like most other anchor types, it's just another "drop, drag, and hope" anchor as I call them, as opposed to the rollbar types' pro-active design that forces the anchor to dig in and begin to set the monent you pull on the rode. Which is why we bought one.

As an aside, here's an example of the power of consumer ego and image at work and how it can greatly benefit companies that sell consumer products. We were in Fisheries the other weekend for some nuts and bolts and passed their anchor display. Mostly Rocnas, as you say. But most of them are polished stainless-- you can even buy an expensive black "protection bag" to put over it so it won't get scratched out on the pulpit.

They had a Rocna 20, same model we have, on display but in polished stainless. Now when we bought ours, a Plain Jane galvanized model, Rocnas were very new to North America. We were told we bought the first one sold to the PNW. And they were expensive. We paid about $1,000 for ours.

Since then production costs have come down, due in no small part from moving its manufacture from New Zealand and Vancouver, BC to China. So a galvanized Rocna 20 costs significantly less today than when we bought ours. I believe they're in the neighborhood of five or six hundred dollars today, maybe less.

But the price of the polished stainless Rocna 20 at Fisheries is..... over $2,000. Given the cost of manufacturing and polishing a stainless anchor-- a job done entirely by machine-- Rocna (and all the other anchor manufacturers who do exactly the same thing) are undoubtedly roaring with laughter all the way to the bank and back.

Which is why creating the Vulcan anchor was probably done in a day using petty cash.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Guru

Well I did get a Rocna this past boat show. Fits my bow pulpit nice, but I did install a nylon strip on the end of the bow pulpit, so I can snug it up and attach safety straps.
Attached Thumbnails
100_3472.jpg   100_3473.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

This looks good ... nice setup!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Guru

Yes it looks nice.
But the Spade looks better.
But it dosn't work as well .. so I hear.

Marin if that's true (that pulpit anchors are a small percentage of the market) then you're right .. But all the other roll bar anchor manufacturers did the same thing. None came out w the RB anchor later as a side show. They viewed the market as RB hungry. And you'll notice most anchor manufacturers don't dabble in that market at all.

But if I had a pile of all the popular suitable sized anchors in front of me to choose from for a free anchor my first two choices would be RB anchors. So don't think of me as a non-believer. I believe in the anchors that have roll bars but I think roll bars are a negative part of the design. So I cut mine off haha. Better anchors will come that will not have roll bars so this is .. as everything else in the world is a step in the evolutionary process.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt firefly View Post
rotfl
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
: horse::h orse::ho rse:

I think he is dead now. For the love of Pete, just end it already!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #11
Guru

I'm a naughty boy!!!!

I'm such a pot stirrer........

anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
anchor.....
Old 04-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Wink Let's get serious now ...

... is this the right anchor under these circumstances?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
When we purchased Magic, the PO had a beautiful stainless steel Suncor anchor on the bow. Man it was pretty. In the second roller was a genuine Scottish CQR. After taking delivery of Magic on the west coast of Florida, we travelled east across Lake Okeechobee to Stuart, FL on the east coast of the state. Upon arrival at a marina there, I negotiated a trade; one month of slip space and electric in exchange for the Suncor SS anchor. They said OK and I bought a Manson Supreme to replace it. Don't know who made out better, but I was/am happy.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... is this the right anchor under these circumstances?

No, and here's why. Plants will grow up this anchor, which is a Good Idea. But... because this anchor has a hinged shank, at some point a storm or whatever will cause the shank to flop to one side or the other. When it does this, it will tear the plants that have attached themselves to the anchor out by the roots. So even on land, the CQR is a poor choice.

On the other hand, had this garden incorporated a Bruce anchor, a design I absolutely despise as a device to keep a boat in one place, it would have been an ideal choice. Its once-piece casting with no moving parts will not endanger the plants clinging to it. Also the Bruce's three flukes will give plants a chance to grow into interesting shapes and patterns.

Actually, I have it on good authority that the Bruce was originally intended to be a base for a garden feature. When the landscaper accidentally knocked the first Bruce plant base into a frog pond, on being retrieved it sort of dug into the bottom of the pond and resisted the pull to get it out. Somebody (Mr. Bruce?) noticed this and wondered if this same resistance to being pulled out of the frog pond might apply to anchoring a boat. The rest, as they say, is history.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Guru

Hmm, thank you, I didn't know that.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
All anchor threads should be moved to Off The Deep End.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Actually, I have it on good authority that the Bruce was originally intended to be a base for a garden feature. When the landscaper accidentally knocked the first Bruce plant base into a frog pond, on being retrieved it sort of dug into the bottom of the pond and resisted the pull to get it out. Somebody (Mr. Bruce?) noticed this and wondered if this same resistance to being pulled out of the frog pond might apply to anchoring a boat. The rest, as they say, is history.
Interesting! I've checked with Bruce ... I am not sure if he agrees or not?!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So, where are we going?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Guru

hmason,
What's a Suncor?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #20
Guru

It's a manufacturer of stainless steel boat hardware and anchors. Suncor Stainless: Quality Stainless Steel Products & Services.