Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Bow pulpit support

OK here is the issue, upgraded to larger windless and more chain, now when the anchor is released the pulpit shakes/vibrates as the chain is running out. I'm upgrading my anchor next to a heavier one (will remain nameless as to stay on the issue), my concern is, should I put a support bar or something off the bottom of pulpit to bow. Anyone have a slick design/idea?

Other facttoids: Bow pulpit is part of the actual hull and not hollow (well not sure totally, but has a finished bottom), anchor goes through the middle and not off the end. Current anchor is 30lbs, going to 45lbs.

Release the hounds! ;-)
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
How about posting a picture of your bow so we can comment appropriately. Not knowing anything at all about your boat makes it difficult.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I'm upgrading my anchor next to a heavier one (will remain nameless as to stay on the issue)
Shouldn't of said that, now I'm going have to try to squeeze it out of you. C'mon tell us! Even an hint, like does it have a rollbar?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That depends on how strong your "pulpit" is and we have little or no idea about that. I see many boats w a metal strut between the pulpit and the stem of the boat below. But that won't help w side loads.

Other things to be concerned about (or even more concerned about) is:

1. Side loads from "sailing" in heavy winds.
2. Side loads from hitting a piling or other boat ect.
3. Vertical loads from waves at anchor.
4. Vertical loads from breaking out an anchor w the winch.

Comparing your boat's pulpit w others about the same size may help ..... assuming they are of adequate strength.

Real anchors don't have roll bars.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71291 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Guru

As requested:
[/URL][/IMG]

Side load is not an issue, would just want additional vertical load support.

Mind you I can stand out there and it doesn't flex, but it really shakes with dynamic of chain going out.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Real anchors don't have roll bars.
Dont want to drift off topic even though I already have, but what's a real anchor then? I'm not saying all anchors have roll bars it was just a question since there's been lots of talk about the "New Generation Anchors".
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
As requested:
[IMG][/IMG]

Side load is not an issue, would just want additional vertical load support.

Mind you I can stand out there and it doesn't flex, but it really shakes with dynamic of chain going out.
A side shot may help if you have one....

but in the long run a steel rod with integral turnbuckle might be all you need...even if it provides just a tad of tension/or push to keep the vibes to a minimum.

anchor debates in another thread please.......at least till the OP get's his question satisfied....then TF thread drift can take over as usual...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It doesn't seem you could run a rod out to the end where it would do most good anyway because the anchor will be in the way?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Guru

Haha, excellent, I knew I was going to get a creative solution here! ;-)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
If it is to be trustworthy, I think you need to see/know what is inside it. Can you see a "plank" coming into the forepeak, is it solid, rotted, bolted? If nothing, what about filling it with thickened epoxy through a hole/s in the bottom where it won't show. I'd use glass microbeads for light weight and West's empty caulking tubes to pump it in.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It doesn't seem you could run a rod out to the end where it would do most good anyway because the anchor will be in the way?
maybe...that's why I'd like to see a profile pic....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Guru

Brooksie, interesting thought there. The pulpit (top) is part of the top of the hull (shoe box top), they have a finished (gel-coated) bottom piece to even off bottom to give a finished look. I would need to look into if its hollow better. One design flaw as seen in the photo is the pulpit has that V channel near the boat, and you can see small hair line cracks in the gel coat which is obviously a flexible point.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I tore out the old damp fill in the platform and started over with multiple layers of marine plywood to completely replace the core of the platform. It was easier because the platform was a separate piece bolted onto the bow and could be removed and inverted to work on it. The bottom seal will eventually flex enough to allow water to permeate back into the plywood, but it will take a long time. It's hard to beat multiple layers of material for stiffness.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Sometimes a little flex is not a problem depending on how it's designed. Before I did anything I would talk with other owners of the same boat & find out if they have the same flex. Failing that contact the builder, if it shouldn't flex then I would guess you have bigger problem such as rot or a structural problem maybe a repair that was not done correctly.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My IG has a broad 1/4" metal plate under the windlass which continues forward under the pulpit with a short bend to accommodate the rise in height of the pulpit from the height the plate winch sits on. You don`t look to have that kind of reinforcement support, though it`s hard to tell in the pics. Are you satisfied the new winch is solidly fixed? I can`t see longer chain changing anything. Was it heavier chain? Was anything else disturbed swapping winches? I`m right into this at present, about to go to the boat to refit my winch, while solving powering issues.
Whatever you do don`t identify your new anchor, or the thread will drift faster than an unanchored boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #17
FF
Guru

With no on deck chain stopper I have to assume your anchoring rode is with mostly nylon.

Simply grab the line below the roller and use which ever cleat you currently use to secure the line.

Some form of chafe proofing the rail will be needed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My IG has a broad 1/4" metal plate under the windlass which continues forward under the pulpit with a short bend to accommodate the rise in height of the pulpit from the height the plate winch sits on.
Not quite a thread hijack. Bruce I am interested to see your set up and how it compares to mine, any chance of a photo?
Attached Thumbnails
lofran winch 002.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Guru

Yes the winch is reinforced, no issue there. The original windless was a type that did not allow for chain and it was motor that would pay out the line so nice and slow. Went with this one and I have 30' of chain and it is free fall, so it rubbles out pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My IG has a broad 1/4" metal plate under the windlass which continues forward under the pulpit with a short bend to accommodate the rise in height of the pulpit from the height the plate winch sits on. You don`t look to have that kind of reinforcement support, though it`s hard to tell in the pics. Are you satisfied the new winch is solidly fixed? I can`t see longer chain changing anything. Was it heavier chain? Was anything else disturbed swapping winches? I`m right into this at present, about to go to the boat to refit my winch, while solving powering issues.
Whatever you do don`t identify your new anchor, or the thread will drift faster than an unanchored boat.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
Anchor platform support

Here you have an in and out picture,

You should make a stronger as possible installation. Last summer at night my anchor (bruce SS 60kgs) was bent...
Attached Thumbnails
Capturmmmm.jpg   DSC01548.jpg  
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote