Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Bow Eye?

So my next question on the pursuit of good ground tackle, our Nordy has a bow eye. Should I get a rope spliced to it and run it up the second roller on our pulpit and use it
For anchoring out bye connecting the end of it to the rode via soft shackle or should it be used for only getting towed? don't crucify me I'm still fairly new to all anchoring and anchor setups.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 756
Thats the way to do it. Reduces the amount of rode needed for scope.
__________________

__________________
-------------------------
Terry
Meridian
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Thats the way to do it. Reduces the amount of rode needed for scope.
Oh, ok thanks.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,202
Another way it's commonly used is to run a line down through the eye, then back up to the pulpit so both ends of the line are up there. Then attach one end to your anchor chain and let the chain out until the joint is below the water line. Now use the other end to adjust the length to suit the situation. That way the snubber line attaches to the chain only a few feet below the eye instead of 10-15 below.
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Another way it's commonly used is to run a line down through the eye, then back up to the pulpit so both ends of the line are up there. Then attach one end to your anchor chain and let the chain out until the joint is below the water line. Now use the other end to adjust the length to suit the situation. That way the snubber line attaches to the chain only a few feet below the eye instead of 10-15 below.
Not sure I'm getting your explanation, so just use the eye as a pass through for the line and tie it to the cleat on deck?
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Not sure I'm getting your explanation, so just use the eye as a pass through for the line and tie it to the cleat on deck?
Have a 20' section of 5/8" 3 strand line made up with thimbles on both ends, attach end #1. at the bow eye with a s.s. shackle and seize it.

End #2. add a chain hook or a shackle that will fit through the chain. When NOT in use keep it cleated tight at the bow roller. When anchoring, when you have the correct scope down, attach the chain hook/shackle (depending on which one you used ) and let out enough chain to add enough droop that the chain hangs below the snubber attachment point by about 10' ( unless your in 8' if water ).

The 3 strand will take the shock load and lower the C.E. on the rode.

Your guest in the fwd. stateroom will love you as they will not have to listen to the chain grind around on the bow roller as the boat swings at anchor.

The downside is there is no boat noise to hide the guests grinding around in the fwd. stateroom!


HOLLYWOOD

the image attached shows the right idea... but not enough chain slack
Attached Images
 
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Have a 20' section of 5/8" 3 strand line made up with thimbles on both ends, attach end #1. at the bow eye with a s.s. shackle and seize it. End #2. add a chain hook or a shackle that will fit through the chain. When NOT in use keep it cleated tight at the bow roller. When anchoring, when you have the correct scope down, attach the chain hook/shackle (depending on which one you used ) and let out enough chain to add enough droop that the chain hangs below the snubber attachment point by about 10' ( unless your in 8' if water ). The 3 strand will take the shock load and lower the C.E. on the rode. Your guest in the fwd. stateroom will love you as they will not have to listen to the chain grind around on the bow roller as the boat swings at anchor. The downside is there is no boat noise to hide the guests grinding around in the fwd. stateroom! HOLLYWOOD the image attached shows the right idea... but not enough chain slack
Thanks Hollywood, I'll get one made.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Guru
 
janice142's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete, FL
Country: USofA
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 914
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I disagree. You do not want your anchor snubber permanently attached to an eye so low. What if you had to let out more scope? With the shackle attached to your bow eye you'll first have to retrieve chain in order to let out more. When you need to let out more scope the conditions are probably not benign.

For Seaweed (and I have two eyes, one at waterline and installed a second up about 15") I found it near impossible to get good system in place using either.

Instead I have a length of 3-strand 5/8" black line with a loop at one end. It goes over the samson post and with a simple rolling hitch I tie to the chain. Then I let out approximately 20' more chain and voila: problem solved.

The chain doesn't rattle and the snubber takes the bounce (when conditions are dicey) without issue. If I had to let out more scope I'd just take the loop off the samson post and attach another line.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe others have a way to use their bow eye more effectively than I've managed. And no, the line has never come untied nor has it been difficult to untie. It's really a miracle knot.
__________________
Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
http://janice142.com
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Not sure I'm getting your explanation, so just use the eye as a pass through for the line and tie it to the cleat on deck?
Yes, that's right. With no anchor deployed, both ends of the line are cleated off up on deck. When you deploy the anchor, you send one end of the line down with the anchor chain, and use the end that's still on deck to adjust the length. The line always just passes through the eye.
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Laramie
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Song of San Fransisco
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 47
I also prefer a rolling hitch on the anchor chain with the ends secured on deck. I've seen a chain rapped around the line from opposing current and wind that was quite the mess to untangle. I don't know how you would deal with that from deck level if the line was secured to the bow eye.
Darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Yes, that's right. With no anchor deployed, both ends of the line are cleated off up on deck. When you deploy the anchor, you send one end of the line down with the anchor chain, and use the end that's still on deck to adjust the length. The line always just passes through the eye.
Ahh, ok I get it now.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I disagree. You do not want your anchor snubber permanently attached to an eye so low. What if you had to let out more scope? With the shackle attached to your bow eye you'll first have to retrieve chain in order to let out more. When you need to let out more scope the conditions are probably not benign.

For Seaweed (and I have two eyes, one at waterline and installed a second up about 15") I found it near impossible to get good system in place using either.

Instead I have a length of 3-strand 5/8" black line with a loop at one end. It goes over the samson post and with a simple rolling hitch I tie to the chain. Then I let out approximately 20' more chain and voila: problem solved.

The chain doesn't rattle and the snubber takes the bounce (when conditions are dicey) without issue. If I had to let out more scope I'd just take the loop off the samson post and attach another line.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe others have a way to use their bow eye more effectively than I've managed. And no, the line has never come untied nor has it been difficult to untie. It's really a miracle knot.
Not every solution works for every boat,

On a boat such as yours with a low bow the eye at the w/l doesn't make much difference.. on the bow of a Nordhavn its way up there and it makes a big difference.

As far as the " hassle " to retrieve 20' of chain to get to the hook.... step on the black button and count to 20.

The way a boat reacts in a anchorage with swell is quite different as you lower the pull point.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Not every solution works for every boat, On a boat such as yours with a low bow the eye at the w/l doesn't make much difference.. on the bow of a Nordhavn its way up there and it makes a big difference. As far as the " hassle " to retrieve 20' of chain to get to the hook.... step on the black button and count to 20. The way a boat reacts in a anchorage with swell is quite different as you lower the pull point. HOLLYWOOD
Yep, if I remember correctly our bow is 8ft off the water. One minute with the windlass done.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yep, if I remember correctly our bow is 8ft off the water. One minute with the windlass done.
And Nordhavn didn't put it there to attach to the hand winch on the trailer so you could launch it at a boat ramp!

HOLLYWOOD


hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
And Nordhavn didn't put it there to attach to the hand winch on the trailer so you could launch it at a boat ramp! HOLLYWOOD
Wait they didn't?!
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
More than one line can be fixed to a bow eye .

All should be short enough not to foul the prop if let overboard.

The reason for 3 or so is the thinnest , 3/8 can be used most of the time to get the best stretch out of the nylon.

This gives the smoothest ride and lowest snatch load on the anchor.

We used to simply use a sail boat snap shakel to fix the line to chain.

Now that we no longer anchor in coral areas the entire anchor line is nylon , so no need for stinkey weak chain .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Here's an quote from Denver rope. we got our towing bridle for our 16 ft skiff for the camano from them. Does that price sound right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3822129033.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	25225  
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
I have a bit of a different perspective on Anchor Snubbers. I used to be a big fan because they reduced the chain noise so much when I was sleeping in a forward stateroom. With the N47 and a mid-master stateroom, there really isn't any chain noise any more. The guests in the forward cabin don't seem to notice it either.

I have found that simply securing the chain in the chain stopper allows me to get the boat underway really fast when some idiot drags into me in the middle of the night. That has happened a few times during strong thunderstorms and not having to futz with removing the snubber at Oh Dark Hundred while dodging bumper boats makes me sleep better.

I have also found that there really isn't much difference in boat motion between hanging the chain on the snubber or on the chain stopper (if you let out the same amount of chain). I suspect it's because the N47 weighs almost 100,000 lbs. so the chain catenary isn't much different between the two methods at the typical water depths I anchor in.

YMMV, but I rarely use the snubber any more.
__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
I have a bit of a different perspective on Anchor Snubbers. I used to be a big fan because they reduced the chain noise so much when I was sleeping in a forward stateroom. With the N47 and a mid-master stateroom, there really isn't any chain noise any more. The guests in the forward cabin don't seem to notice it either. I have found that simply securing the chain in the chain stopper allows me to get the boat underway really fast when some idiot drags into me in the middle of the night. That has happened a few times during strong thunderstorms and not having to futz with removing the snubber at Oh Dark Hundred while dodging bumper boats makes me sleep better. I have also found that there really isn't much difference in boat motion between hanging the chain on the snubber or on the chain stopper (if you let out the same amount of chain). I suspect it's because the N47 weighs almost 100,000 lbs. so the chain catenary isn't much different between the two methods at the typical water depths I anchor in. YMMV, but I rarely use the snubber any more.
Thanks, I'll get the snubber just to have it incase. Also I need to make a soot sock like on your blog, so I don't black out the boats next to me on an windy day.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Also I need to make a soot sock like on your blog, so I don't black out the boats next to me on an windy day.
It's embarrassing the first time you soot your neighbor's freshly washed boat!

Oops!

If you keep the rain out of the stack and run your engine hot periodically, it will rarely happen, even without the soot sock.
__________________

__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012