Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
How about a SS Delta?

A SS anything?

I think this is a first ... Someone here choosing a specific anchor because it rusts the least.

I put a fluke tip I designed on an anchor while I was in Alaska and couldn't take it to a to be galvanized. I used a galvanize coating in an aerosol can. Used the anchor 10 times or so and no rust appeared on the mild steel part. So before looking at SS anchors you might try some spray galvanize. Worked for me.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #42
Guru

City: gulf coast
More accurately I choose to avoid delta because of al the anchors I had it is the only one that rusted severely. Not just surface rust but disintegration of the plow. The shaft was fine for some reason.
Hidden under the bow sprit it was not visible.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Irie Daze
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Is the question ; Best claw type anchor for a trawler?
Cathy and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #44
Guru

Cathy & David,
Being the OP I'll answer that.

Yes the best Claw but I had no thought as to how it related to trawlers specifically. But now that you mention it trawlers are heavier and presumably can carry a heavier anchor. So a Claw would be a more likely choice on a trawler. And there would be less incentive to get a lighter high performance anchor.

But I've noticed all the Claws are a bit different so they must work a bit differently. And very small differences in other anchors can change their performance much more than a very small amount. So I would think knowing what Claw was the best would be a significant advantage while shopping.

I just bought a new Claw and the very experienced clerk said "this one's a 33# Lewmar too". I said it looked quite different and he responded "it's from a different batch". So the Lewmar's differ even under one brand name. And there's many that have nothing or perhaps just the weight in text to see. So you don't even know what country they came from. Not very proud of their product one could say.

I've heard many many times that the "genuine" Bruce is superior to all the others. When I see a used Claw advertized and it's a Bruce that fact is proudly stated. If a Claw was a cheaply made anchor out of substandard materials it would almost surely be substandard. But the design may be better than the Bruce. We don't drive model "A" Fords because the Fords that came after the A were better. And they got better and better down through the years. Of course there is the cast v/s forged difference but unless you damage the anchor it should make no difference. The only Claws I've seen damaged were on fish boats in Alaska. It's my opinion fishermen can damage just about anything so the fact that I see a bent Claw on a fishing boat means little to me.

Anyway I was hoping someone knew differences between the many Claws. Or at least if someone had very good service from a specific Claw and numerous others did as well it would indicate that perhaps that Claw would be a good buy. Slight differences in shape and proportion may lead to a considerably better anchor. And communication on TF could reveal anchors to buy and anchors to avoid. There's several reasons not much will/can be learned but at least there's lots of skippers here w Claw anchors.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy and David View Post
Is the question ; Best claw type anchor for a trawler?
Uh oh, mischief at play. Now we have to decide first what`s a trawler....
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Answer: the heavier one, as long as it fits the boat and you've got a windlass.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #47
Guru

Fits the boat?

That's the main reason they are still popular Mark. They fit like no other anchor. In close straddling the stem of the bow and nothing sticking up to compete for space w the bow pulpit or obscure the view over the bow. And not stupid looking. Actually very attractive.

And as if that's not enough they are very inexpensive (or cheap if you prefer). I bought a 22lb Claw in Alaska for $70 and a 33lb in WA for $85.

Those are two huge reasons the Claw will be hang'in on the bows of boats for a long time to come.

Anybody have a favorite Claw performance wise?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Bruce. Sets fist time everytime (my experience). Used 22lb paid $180 2 years ago. Just saw a 33lb last week used original Bruce for $260. Big difference from $85 for a copy.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #49

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Eric,

I have owned two original Bruce anchors, a 33 and a 66. Both found the Bruce rock. This is not the best situation in a storm. Because we do almost all of our anchoring in SE Alaska we must contend with numerouse bottom types. We have rocky, sandy, mud, heavy ribbon kelp, dense ell grass and shell bottoms. The most difficult bottoms are the ribbon kelp and ell grass in that many anchors will slide along the top and not penetrate the vegatation. We also have several non claw type anchors but see the thread is about claw anchors. The best anchor we have found so far for our area is a Delta of 44 lbs or larger.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I've never aid climbed, but here's one good reason not to overly trust claw shaped anchors, otherwise known as skyhooks;

He should have used a 100 pound Navy stockless
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #51
Guru

Old Deckhand,
Glad you opened this thread that I started thinking the differences between all the slightly different Claws would be worth dredging up. So far that hasn't happened. Most seem to think the Bruce is better than any other Claw and any others that will come down the pike .. or should I say inlet or straight. There are noticeable differences in what most people call Bruce knock-offs. The most different Claw that I have observed has longer and narrower flukes (higher aspect ratio) and I suspect this anchor would likely be a higher performance Claw than average. Of course no one knows but I was hoping there would be some objective opinions or experience here that could expand our knowledge about this anchor type.

I have modified anchors and the only mod I've done so far to a Claw is to sharpen the flukes. I ground of quite a bit of metal on the center fluke thinking the weak link for the Claw types is failure of the center fluke to penetrate the bottom. This failure promotes the Claws to continue to lay on their sides acting more like a plow than a proper anchor. They do this on beach drags fairly often it seems as I've seen quite a few pics of this. And half setting is consistantly w what I've heard over the years about what the Claws do in the real world. I have a mod planned to prevent this but it may be some time before I do the mod and test it.

Just my opinion but I think the Delta anchor is a very good average anchor. There's nothing spectacular about the Delta as I see it. But that's not bad at all. I think the best thing in anchor performance is consistency and performance range. The best anchor for this may be the SARCA .... and the Delta is in the same catergory but of the two I'd want the SARCA. But you can't get a SARCA at West Marine.

Sounds like you've experienced a much wider range of bottom types than I did in SE. Catching a rock on a claw is (to my knowledge) a rare occuracne. I would'nt pass up a Claw for that negative feature though. But many here seem to need an anchor that they think is bullet proof. But of course no such thing exists but being close is viewed as a holy grail. But then everyone's opinion on what is the perfect anchor is all over the place.

The Delta and large Claw should cover most any need for you in SE. I see them as a good complementary pair. For example at long scope the Delta will probably hold your boat in a 50knot gale. And for the short scope small and deep anchorage that there are so many of in SE the big Claw does very well. I don't know any anchor that does seaweed, kelp and sea grass w much grace but your Delta should be average or better.

There is a new anchor that I think has great posibilities but I thought that about another anchor that wasn't a holy grail at all. This anchor is made by Spade and called the SeaBlade. I'll be watching it but as the best anchor to have on your boat a SARCA will probably be supperior. An anchor that does basically everything fairly well is a very good anchor to have on the bow of your boat.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #52

Never heard of the Sarca or Seablade. You have given me some research fun.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 AM   #53

Murry, in my younger climbing years we called that an "ah shit".
Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Never heard of the Sarca or Seablade. You have given me some research fun.
The Super Sarca and the Sarca Excel (both anchors are from Anchor Right in Australia) are discussed at length in many threads on this forum. Just use the name of the anchor in the search function and you'll find tons of posts about them in the archives.

The Seablade is a new one to me, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The Super Sarca and the Sarca Excel (both anchors are from Anchor Right in Australia) are discussed at length in many threads on this forum. Just use the name of the anchor in the search function and you'll find tons of posts about them in the archives.

The Seablade is a new one to me, too.
Thank you!