Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #1

City: North of Texas
Avoiding snubber acrobatics

While there may be some charm in watching my mate wrestle with the snubber while hunched over the pulpit, there is far more value in avoiding what seems like an inevitable injury that stems from deploying the snubber. Surely there is a convenient way to deploy the snubber without tempting fate?

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
High, strong railings should be sufficient. If there is still a danger, have the snubber-deployer fastened to a secured rope (although I haven't yet seen the need).

Old 07-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I deploy the snubber instead of her doing it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I deploy the snubber instead of her doing it.
Noble, and likely wise for me too, but I'm far from immune to injury. My back hurts just thinking about it.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I attach mine to the chain just forward of the windlass. Then I let out more chain. The snubber feeds through the bow roller just fine.

I bought and like the Mantus one. It is strong and won't come off until I remove it. There is a plastic shield gizmo that keeps it secure to the chain. Prior to the purchase I simply used a rolling hitch. That worked too.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Not sure I understand the wrestling or the risks. What about setting the snubber is a problem?

On my boat, I do have to bend over and reach around the anchor roller. I donít bend over very well, but it isnít really very hard. Maybe you can describe how it works on yours?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
When Iím no longer capable of handling boat chores like anchoring, is the day the boat sale efforts commence.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I attach mine to the chain just forward of the windlass. Then I let out more chain. The snubber feeds through the bow roller just fine.

I bought and like the Mantus one. It is strong and won't come off until I remove it. There is a plastic shield gizmo that keeps it secure to the chain. Prior to the purchase I simply used a rolling hitch. That worked too.
Like Janice says. Just one decent snubber - forget fancy bridles. Easy peasy.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Like Janice says. Just one decent snubber - forget fancy bridles. Easy peasy.
+2 on Janice and Peter's single snubber tied with a rolling hitch for me....

Long term or heavy weather above 30 knots brings out different tactics.....which is rare for me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I used the snubber over and through the roller technique quite a few times, typically using a rolling hitch, before a buddy gave me a bridle.Works best if there is a center line cleat or Samson post that avoids having to wrap around the windlass. The things I don't like about it are 1) it still puts pressure on the pulpit and 2) introduces chafe to the snubber line. To avoid these, I came to attaching the snubber line to a bow cleat then snaking it back through the roller chute, so when deployed it was clear of the pulpit. Proved to be good practice for attaching the chain plate of the bridle. Of course if you don't have a pulpit with chute, but simply and exposed roller, it's much easier.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
On my boat, I do have to bend over and reach around the anchor roller. I donít bend over very well, but it isnít really very hard. Maybe you can describe how it works on yours?
I don't have a boat yet and won't for maybe 6-7 more years, but working through these issues helps keep me sane. When the time comes, I hope to have thought about a lot of this ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I used the snubber over and through the roller technique quite a few times, typically using a rolling hitch, before a buddy gave me a bridle.Works best if there is a center line cleat or Samson post that avoids having to wrap around the windlass. The things I don't like about it are 1) it still puts pressure on the pulpit and 2) introduces chafe to the snubber line. To avoid these, I came to attaching the snubber line to a bow cleat then snaking it back through the roller chute, so when deployed it was clear of the pulpit. Proved to be good practice for attaching the chain plate of the bridle. Of course if you don't have a pulpit with chute, but simply and exposed roller, it's much easier.
Now that makes sense. I've been thinking in terms of a two-point bridle snubber and figured that the Mantus-style hook would not go through the roller, but using a hook that will go through the pulpit roller would sure simplify things.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
What Janice describes and psneed do would work well, but I also worry about the stress on the bow pulpit.

My boat has a chain guide over the roller so the above would be the easiest on my boat. However, I like using a bridle. To do this, I have to reach forward and backfeed the bridle through the roller and then I attach the bridle to the chain between the windlass and bow roller. I attach the bridle typically with a soft shackle that goes through the roller just fine.

The only part that is awkward is the reaching forward and backfeeding the legs of the bridle through the roller.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #13

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We have a bridle going through a Hawse hole on each side of the bow. The terminal ends are shackled to one of the Mantus chain hooks mentioned by janice142 (we like it!). We deploy all the scope we're going to, then reach out in front of the bow roller to attach the Mantus, then let out more chain until the chain is longer than the snubbers. Requires a little manual dexterity, but my wife and I both do it with no issues, and certainly no danger.

Since we anchor most of the time, the bridle is almost always in place. If it's not in place, it is a little more difficult the first time we put in back in place, because you have to feed one end of the bridle under the anchor chain to run it through the Hawse on the other side. (And half the time, we get it wrong, going under one railing, but over the other, and have to re-do it. We're not very smart people!)
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #14

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
With the recent addition of a Mantus hook as recommended here, I am still thinking about avoiding acrobatics as well.
Both boats have chain exiting a hause well below deck.
On Klee Wyck with the flat chain grabber I can just hang on of the loops of the bridle down close to one side of the chain and grab it with a boat hook from the other side and fish it back up onto the deck. Then using both of the leads I can grab the chain in the flat hook and secure the loops to the bollards aft of the bow on each side.

I ordered the bridle with the Mantus hook recently for Libra and that will be a bit more difficult. I am pretty sure I will not be able to use the plastic gate that locks the chain in the hook unless I launch the kayak or dinghy. With the weight of half inch chain I am not sure I will worry about that unless longer term anchoring and expecting extra challenging conditions. However, with the shape of this hook, I am not sure I will be able to grab the chain using the two lines as easy as I can with the flat chain grabber.
Anyone with experience with this combination have a comment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klee Wyck.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	79118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snubber.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	79119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Libra anchor nests.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	79120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mantus hook.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	79121  
Old 07-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Bill. any pictures of the windlasses and chain chutes? Are there pawls / chainstoppers ?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I determined years ago I don’t lime to use a two line bridal, I use one line only with an Ultra chain hook (3/8), let out the anchor and set it lightly, hook on the ultra near the windless, let out more chain and the one line bridal until the chain has a loop. Put engines in reverse to set anchor. Done. No bending over and simple. If I expect a blow over 40knots I will set a two line bridal.

So I agree with Janice and Scott.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #17

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Bill. any pictures of the windlasses and chain chutes? Are there pawls / chainstoppers ?
George,
Hopefully this will zoom for you.
The vertical lever with the T on top is the clutch/brake on this windlass(as it were). There is one on each side with this double anchor set up. This is quite secure when screwed down and is all I see that stops the chain.
The black cap on the deck toward the left in the picture is just a plastic cover over the pipe where the chain comes from the locker. To the right is the pipe where the chain leaves toward the water but is very hard/impossible to see here. It is alongside/under that silver roller.
The pipe is plenty oversized to pass the hook but not sure where you are going with this and it would be really hard to stuff in there as this is a tight space along side the roller. I am not sure it would pass the double line then and even if it would I am not sure how I would pick the lines up in the water below unless I added floatation.

No pawl/chain stopper in this set up.

Looking forward to your ideas, I am guessing you have some.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Libra windlass.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	79135  
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #18

City: Burgess, VA
Vessel Name: No Regrets II
Vessel Model: Legacy 42 sedan cruiser
Here is a pic of my snubber (at least I think it attached):

After setting my anchor, I attach one end to the starboard cleat, run the rest of the snubber outside of the railing to the cleat on the port side. I then tie a rolling hitch on the tail end onto the chain at a point where the chain enters the roller track. Let out more chain and it is in place. No hassle at all. Retrieval is just as simple: bring in the chain until the rolling hitch is in a position to easily untie and remove the snubber.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A32C5D56-7D81-41C8-BC6F-8009AB28A7CD.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	79161  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bedford View Post
Here is a pic of my snubber
Thanks Steve; nice diagram. If I understand correctly, the bridle could be left in place secured to both cleats, passing through both hawse holes, and with the lead end passing up through the roller. To deploy the snubber, set the anchor, then tie a rolling hitch to the chain between the windlass and the roller. Letting out more chain will let the rolling hitch pass over the roller and down until the snubber takes the tension off the chain. Makes sense, and would seem to avoid acrobatics completely.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #20

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Do you guys always keep the attachment (whether a clamp/grabber/knot) above the waterline?

I recall reading at some point a guy saying in a big blow he'd deploy 60' of snubber line, so obviously that is going into the water.