Avoiding snubber acrobatics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Under most “normal” (whatever that means) an all chain rode will provide all the shock absorption you will need with the natural catenary. However once the weather picks up sufficiently, that catenary will diminish and the chain will be bar tight jerking and putting pressure on the windlass. That is why I want a nylon rope sized just like the nylon rope on the remaining rode. It provides the same strength and stretch ability (although length of the nylon rode determines the length of the stretch).

Two nights ago we were anchored in calm conditions, in 10’ of water plus 5’ bow roller to sea level (15’ total depth). I was at mid-tide with minimal tide changes. I tied the rolling hitch at the 105’ (7:1 scope) point on the chain. Because of the calm conditions, the rolling hitch was well under water the entire time while at anchor. Had it blown hard, and the chain gone straight, the hitch would have broken the surface of the water.

I never worry about a metal hook falling off the chain while deploying or retrieving or while at anchor. I used to have a traditional chain hook and I often had that come off while deploying. Probably user error but the rolling hitch never falls off! I know there are other more “advanced” hooks that even dummies like me would find success with. However, I choose the “old school” method.

Steve

Is there a formula to determine conditions that will "stretch" chain tight clear to the anchor? Seems like the scope and weight of the chain would provide sufficient "stretch effect" to snub taught chain problems in the overwhelming number of conditions.

Obs. Yes, there is a formula. Simple physics and yes, with a lot of variables. We had this discussion in the „Anchor Rode Poll“ some years ago. A lot of material an arguments you will find there.
Helpful? Another story ...

Everybody has their own way of anchoring and use of snubbers. Our bow is 9' off the water! We have a steel plate welded on the bow (steel boat) just at the waterline, with a shackle and snubber line attached to a hole in the plate. Our anchor rode is 50' of 1/2" chain and 200' of 9/16" ss wire. We use a 20' long 1/2" 3-strand nylon snubber line leading from the waterline plate up over the anchor roller to the deck - lots of stretch! Once the anchor is deployed, I tie the snubber line to the rode up on deck and play out the rode until we're hanging on the snubber. Not much different than others except... rather than using a rolling hitch, I use an icicle hitch. It's a little more complicated to tie, but holds much, much better, especially on the slippery 9/16" wire. Here's how to tie it:

View attachment Icicle Hitch.pdf

Everybody has their own way of anchoring and use of snubbers. Our bow is 9' off the water! We have a steel plate welded on the bow (steel boat) just at the waterline, with a shackle and snubber line attached to a hole in the plate. Our anchor rode is 50' of 1/2" chain and 200' of 9/16" ss wire. We use a 20' long 1/2" 3-strand nylon snubber line leading from the waterline plate up over the anchor roller to the deck - lots of stretch! Once the anchor is deployed, I tie the snubber line to the rode up on deck and play out the rode until we're hanging on the snubber. Not much different than others except... rather than using a rolling hitch, I use an icicle hitch. It's a little more complicated to tie, but holds much, much better, especially on the slippery 9/16" wire. Here's how to tie it:

View attachment 79358

Yes. While I’ve never had a problem with a rolling hitch on the chain, I learned the icicle hitch a few months ago. It holds really well, even on a smooth surface.

I attach mine to the chain just forward of the windlass. Then I let out more chain. The snubber feeds through the bow roller just fine.

I bought and like the Mantus one. It is strong and won't come off until I remove it. There is a plastic shield gizmo that keeps it secure to the chain. Prior to the purchase I simply used a rolling hitch. That worked too.

:thumb:

We use a home made soft shackle. I put together a few one evening using a length of spare Amsteel rope. They don’t come off and hit the topside, easy to clean, relatively cheap, and stronger than most propriety fittings. Feed it through the bow roller once anchor is set. Attach to chain, and lower addition 11’ of chain. Used it all season so far and prefer it to the other devices I have tried.

We use a home made soft shackle. I put together a few one evening using a length of spare Amsteel rope. They don’t come off and hit the topside, easy to clean, relatively cheap, and stronger than most propriety fittings. Feed it through the bow roller once anchor is set. Attach to chain, and lower addition 11’ of chain. Used it all season so far and prefer it to the other devices I have tried.

And, it is stronger than the chain and doesn't ding the hull. The only solution IMHO, for attaching a snub line.

And, it is stronger than the chain and doesn't ding the hull. The only solution IMHO, for attaching a snub line.

Did it today to attached my bridle. This time I just ran the shackle through a chain link. Looks like it is going to be very, very calm though so the bridle is a bit superfluous tonight.
IMG_0067.jpg

I had the same concern for the Admiral trying to reach from the pulpit to attach the snubber.
Our boat has a ring mounted at the waterline for the snubber. Our snubber is spliced onto this ring. The other end, I spliced a Tylaska Snap Shackle that fits the chain, fits through the bow roller and is rated stronger than our anchor rode.

For her to attach the snubber, it is already passed up through the roller. She snaps it on the rode in front of the windlass, and then releases more rode until the snubber is taking the load.

I had the same concern for the Admiral trying to reach from the pulpit to attach the snubber.
Our boat has a ring mounted at the waterline for the snubber. Our snubber is spliced onto this ring. The other end, I spliced a Tylaska Snap Shackle that fits the chain, fits through the bow roller and is rated stronger than our anchor rode.

For her to attach the snubber, it is already passed up through the roller. She snaps it on the rode in front of the windlass, and then releases more rode until the snubber is taking the load.

Nice.

Did it today to attached my bridle. This time I just ran the shackle through a chain link. Looks like it is going to be very, very calm though so the bridle is a bit superfluous tonight.
View attachment 79402
That's what we do as well Dave. We happen to have two rollers, so the anchor goes over the lower and the snub line the upper, but there is no reason not to run both over the same roller. Attaching and retrieving the snubber is all done within the bulwarks and presents no drama at all. I guess I have just never understood the logic behind a bridle since it creates more chafe, has less stretch since it is shorter and has to be attached leaning over the rail in most cases with some kind of hook that comes loose and whacks the hull.

But perhaps I am missing something since so many boaters deploy a bridle.....

That's what we do as well Dave. We happen to have two rollers, so the anchor goes over the lower and the snub line the upper, but there is no reason not to run both over the same roller. Attaching and retrieving the snubber is all done within the bulwarks and presents no drama at all. I guess I have just never understood the logic behind a bridle since it creates more chafe, has less stretch since it is shorter and has to be attached leaning over the rail in most cases with some kind of hook that comes loose and whacks the hull.

But perhaps I am missing something since so many boaters deploy a bridle.....

I think the question of bridle or snubber may depend in part on the boat. Our boat can sail at anchor and I find that it sails less with a bridle than a single snubber.

As for stretch, a bridle doesn’t have less stretch, if it is sized correctly. If you use a bridle, you just use a smaller line than if it was a single snubber. One potential advantage is that a bridle can give equivalent stretch to a single line snubber with less length. That means that when conditions moderate or wind/current change direction, you are less likely to have the nylon line running along the bottom.

A bridle is a little more fussy to setup. My bridle consists of two separate lines. Each is run from hawse hole to the bow. I can stay inside the bulwark but do have to reach around the rail. I don’t have two rollers so the lines have to be back fed through the roller which takes some more reaching. Again, I’m within the confines of the bulwarks.

A bridle doesn’t need a hook. While it seems I do it differently each time, I use a soft shackle to connect the two bridle legs together. Last night I ran the shackle through the chain and it worked great. I also have a 6’ length of double braid with a spliced thimble. I use a soft shackle to connect the three thimbles together and then just tie the double braid to the chain with a hitch.

Anyway, I’m not saying a bridle is better, but it does reduce sailing at anchor on my boat over a single snubber. I can vary the length of the bridle from 25’ to 6’ just by adjusting where the lines are cleated at the hawse pipe.

BTW, this morning I decided that my next pointless exercise will be to whip marks on the bridle lines at varying lengths to make it really quick and easy to cleat them at the same distance. Right now I have to do a bit of adjusting typically to get them even.

I can see an advantage to a bridal and do have a few on the boat however a single line is easier to deploy and remove so I hardly ever use a bridal unless I’m expecting a big blow over 35 knots.

The one annoying factor of a single line running over the same roller is you can tell when it reaches the far end and has to move the chain to get to the end. It can make a noise if your in the bunk under the bow.

We do ours below the water line 10' or low, it lowers your angle of pull

Do you guys always keep the attachment (whether a clamp/grabber/knot) above the waterline?

I recall reading at some point a guy saying in a big blow he'd deploy 60' of snubber line, so obviously that is going into the water.

We go just below the waterline and if the wind increases we will ease out both snubber and chain keeping the soft shackle below the waterline and a catenary in the chain from the soft shackle to the bow roller. Adding extra line increases the shock adsorbing capability of the snubber.

Back
Top Bottom