Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I feel it is all an advertising stunt on the part of Fortress since they cherry picked the bottom knowing their product would do well. This test was in my opinion biased. No mater how careful and documented a test is it is of little value if the sample is predetermined to favor a known result. That is not good science it smacks more of advertising.
We've got mud around here, so I actually want to see tests about anchors in soft mud. I don't particularly mind that Fortress intended to highlight their expected good results... 'cause a test in some other substrate doesn't actually do me all that much good just now.

I'd appreciate it if other companies published some testing (or advertising, whatever) about their anchor capabilities in soft mud, but as far as I remember, I think it's mostly only Fortress and SuperMax who address the issue head-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I don't think Fortress markets their anchor as the best all around. Perhaps they would disagree, but I think their product is positioned as a piece of almost mandatory safety equipment for the serious cruiser. Easy to stow, easy to handle, once set enormously high holding power - seems to me that for every Rocna, Ultra, Manson, or whatever sold the vessel owner would be advised to buy one Fortress. Just in case.
That's pretty much the way I remember it.

-Chris

Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Last anchor thread of the year? Promise???

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
So...this anchor walks into a bar...

and orders a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_%27N%27_Stormy

Sensing the anchor is somewhat adrift the bartender asks what's wrong.

"Woe is me" says the anchor. "...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Kinda like Nigel Calder not conforming to advertisers but rather his own experience, a little stir is good for the sole!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Stir? Why not ....
Ranger,
You say "we've got a lot of mud around here". I think mud is the most common bottom in the world. Not in Florida though ... right?

There have been other tests in/on mud. And like the Fortress test the Rocna did very poorly in at least one test. But I don't recall it turning up-side down. It would make sense to deploy a good mud anchor first and use something else if that didn't go well. That's the ideal anchor .... two ready to go and perhaps another. Four would probably cover most anything.

I set myself up as basically a one anchor guy but changed my mind thinking the flexibility of what I had before is best.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #26

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
RT does your mom know your loose?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Last anchor thread of the year? Promise???

When it comes to anchors nothing is definite no promises.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Northern Lights has one style onboard, a fortress FX-37, FX-23 and a FX-16. The 23 was the bow anchor, the 16 a spare sometimes used from a aft cleat to a sandbar when beached. I bought the 37 for the bow because I prefer 1 or 2 sizes larger than recommend. I'am giving serious thought to going back to the 23 because of how tight the 37 sets, I think it may be to much overkill for what I need. I typically anchor overnight but next year I'am planning on being out away from marinas and may anchor in one place for several days. The current working on the boat sets the anchor deeper and deeper as the time passes that is why I'am contemplating going back to the 23, I've had the 37 set where it took quite a bit of throttle to pull it out. The river is either mud or sand bottom and no tidal currents so a Danforth style anchor is probably the best if you want to stay put. The new style anchors may be as good in theses same conditions and better in others but I've not seen any information on them that inspires me to spend money on one that can just as well be spent on diesel fuel.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #30
Guru

Ron I have 6 or 7 anchors not all always on board at one time and the meaning of having more anchors is to have numerous types. You put a new twist on the multiple anchor act by having multiple sizes only. Never would'a thunk it. How much chain do you use and do you hand deploy much or any of the time? Thanks for sharing Ron.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Sigh…all those anchors…all that weigh for'd...when one decent all-round modern anchor would do. Pity you Northern Hemi guys (and gals), find them hard to get. What is it?…aha…that's for me to know, and y'all to find out.

FF knows, but he keeps the secret close to the body. I suspect he has one already, but keeps up the illusion he hasn't…just a suspicion…

Merry Xmas all…

He he he…if this is the last anchor thread this year…let's really stir 'em up…
Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #32
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ron I have 6 or 7 anchors not all always on board at one time and the meaning of having more anchors is to have numerous types. You put a new twist on the multiple anchor act by having multiple sizes only. Never would'a thunk it. How much chain do you use and do you hand deploy much or any of the time? Thanks for sharing Ron.

300' of 3B 5/16 chain and a Muir Cougar windlass plus 2 150' lengths of 3 strand for the spare anchors. I would only have 2 anchors but I wanted the good nights sleep provided by the FX-37. But truthfully I'am beginning to believe I can get the same quality of sleep with the FX-23 without the problem of removing it from the bottom when it's time to move on, I should have more trust that the manufacturers know their product better than me, if that was the case I would still have 2 anchors. In this situation I'll just call it "trust but verify".
Old 12-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #33
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Why? When you can have a Rocna that meets all your needs......
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #34
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We carry two anchors; a 60# Manson Supreme and a 45# authentic CQR. We follow the warm weather up and down the east coast and almost never go to a marina. We anchor about 200 times/year. In the last 3-years the CQR has never gotten wet. Not a sophisticated test, just a real life experience. Howard
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Old 12-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #36

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
RT!! Your Mom looks great!! Is this what someone should look like after years upon years of searching for the perfect anchor & Caribbean mixer?
Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #37

Its the season of goodwill and that time when I can take the opportunity to wish you all health, happiness and success for 2015.

But I see nothing wrong with advertising and I'm not aware that Fortress deny the tests were part of their promotional activity. The conclusion might have been anticipated but not the performance, or lack of, of the other anchors - which might have come as a revelation to many.

Some are in denial, of course, but I (for one) am grateful that Fortress has exposed the weakness inherent in some designs. Fortress might have cherry picked the location - and it might have, did, favoured their product. So what? - it exposed some designs as being inadequate. If they had not had chosen that location we would never have known - possibly some might think we should have been left in blissful ignorance?

Most anchors work well in sand and gravel - blindfold I do not believe anyone can tell the difference. There are a whole host of tests in sand - it is refreshing to see something different. Weed, pebbles, thin mud, thick mud - there are differences in performance and minimal tests (apart from Practical Sailor) and those who venture beyond their comfort zones need to know any weaknesses in the designs of anchor they carry. So all credit to Fortress for opening that can of worms.

Anchors are compromise - if there was one perfect anchor, we would not have these threads!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #38
FF
Guru

>We carry two anchors; a 60# Manson Supreme and a 45# authentic CQR.

In the last 3-years the CQR has never gotten wet.<

So weight wins again!.

In the days of the Herrishoff Yachtsman the usual was 10lbs of anchor for each foot of boat.

Thats why they mounted bent pipe cranes to get the beast aboard .

Today mfg advertise less than 1 lb of anchoe per foot of LOA.

I always hope the fellow with the 50 ft beach ball roomaran that anchors up wind in a blow does not read boating magazines.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Model: 48 foot sailing Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbangi View Post

Most anchors work well in sand and gravel
I wish someone would tell this to a lot of the anchors I see

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #40
Guru

I think it would be safe to say "most anchors work well on most bottoms".

But also most here seem to think they need to be rigged for the mother of all storms. Just not so IMO. Especially w GPS anchor alarms. If an anchor drags just get up and put it back to let it drag some more. You're not going to die. At least if some good sense and good seamanship is employed.

Once I was holding fine in a 50 knot gale but the Krogen in front of me dragged down on us and I had to go out on deck in the dark and wind and rain and move up ahead of him because he just didn't. So you (like me) may have to reset even if you have the #1 anchor in your favorite test on a 10-1 scope w a heavy chain rode.

We use all kinds of anchors w different rodes and scopes and I don't recall anyone actually experiencing anything but inconvenience from a storm or whatever. Anyone's notion that you've got to have this anchor or that to survive is rubbish.

Closed Thread