Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #21
Guru

Don, we enjoyed the Wye River area mostly for it's remoteness. We were there on a week day and the Monk previously mentioned was the only other boat on Dividing Ck. As you mentioned my research indicated the Wye River anchorages are popular.

We absolutely loved the Chessie. My favorite part is the southern and western part. We were considering keeping the boat for another season up there but have decided to return the boat to Tampa this fall/winter. As much as we liked it on the Chessie, we miss using the boat for the long off season they have up there.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Interesting story well told. With a lot going on in terms of conditions, it would be tough to blame the anchor.
Yes I tend to agree. I will however power set the anchor with greater force and for a longer time from now on.

Not mentioned in my post was the fact that the limb we pushed up against probably prevented running gear damage.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Tim....not sure what anchor will have held you in those places.

Many of the creeks and hollows in the Chesapeake are filled with very soupy mud...normal "silting in" of an estuary. Even the Fortress anchor test I believe looked for that type bottom...maybe a little firmer than where you were.

Anything but a Danforth/Fortress type anchor struggles in that as the test showed (to a point).

In that test the Roca did very poorly I believe.

Hard to find quickly...but there are firm bottom areas all over the Chesapeake...not always as protected....but for Summer cruising where you just have to survive short duration thunderstorms....you might consider less protected...stand watch thigh them and enjoy the firmer bottom and wider swing/drag room than holing up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
The Rocna looks to me like a delta anchor with a roll bar. Can it be that much better than a delta?

No experience with Rocna, so no opinion.

I gather the roll bar's purpose is to be sure the anchor is properly oriented during setting. If so, I'd maybe guess a well-set Delta and a well-set Rocna -- of similar sizes/weights -- might be about the same?

Just my speculation, though....

-Chris
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Don, we enjoyed the Wye River area mostly for it's remoteness. We were there on a week day and the Monk previously mentioned was the only other boat on Dividing Ck. As you mentioned my research indicated the Wye River anchorages are popular.

We absolutely loved the Chessie. My favorite part is the southern and western part. We were considering keeping the boat for another season up there but have decided to return the boat to Tampa this fall/winter. As much as we liked it on the Chessie, we miss using the boat for the long off season they have up there.
Tim, there is a happy medium. You could store the boat in ice free Hampton, VA or just below the Great Bridge Lock at Atlantic Yacht Basin. That would be in fresh water. The boat would be usable for the winter, and could return to the Chessie in spring. I am thinking of just that. Leaving it there for a little over 6 months gets away from the Maryland tax problem.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Tim: psneeld and Don are dead on. I used to swim off the boat in that area and the mouth of Dividing creek might as well be a delta....a silty, dusty mud that isn't even enough to stand on. A Delta anchor (or a Rocna, for that matter) could grab all it could handle and still drag in a blow. The plus part of your experience is that, save for the frequent impact upon sunken limbs, you could probably sit aground there through the tide cycle and never harm anything except maybe your ego and some silt in the intakes.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Since this is a thread about the Max anchor and everyone's talking about mud now I have this to share re a Mud Anchor Test Practical Sailor Mag April 06. The following is in hundreds of lbs holding power. First # is at 3-1 scope and second at 7-1 scope.

Super Max 300 500
SARCA 420 500
Bulwagga 450 480
Fortress 375 475
Spade 80 250 460
Davis Talon 450 450
Rocna 300 440
Kingston Plow 450 380

Other than the Rocna's 3-1 scope problem they all performed very well so it's clear there are many anchors to choose from. Surprising the Plow had better holding at short scope than at 7-1. And if you look it up you'll see a lot of evidence that give credit to anchors that do everything well and aren't top dog at anything. Broad excellent performance and no superlatives. My first XYZ anchor was in this test and out performed all others but it set so infrequently I eventually put it in the landfill.

Other anchors in the test were;
Danforth (WM), HydroBubble, Spade 80 and XYZ that tested at 500lbs at both scopes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
My first XYZ anchor was in this test and out performed all others but it set so infrequently I eventually put it in the landfill.
....and reports are that it's still moving!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Since this is a thread about the Max anchor and everyone's talking about mud now I have this to share re a Mud Anchor Test Practical Sailor Mag April 06. The following is in hundreds of lbs holding power. First # is at 3-1 scope and second at 7-1 scope.

Super Max 300 500

I think that's the test that the SuperMax guy had some heartburn about.

See here: Super MAX Anchors

The gist is that he says the test was in soft mud, and

1) the testers used 3:1 scope for the SM instead of the 5:1 scope recommended by the maker... (his comment on his main page about reading the instructions seems to apply), and

2) the testing was limited at 500 lbs, which he felt makes many of the anchors look equally capable anyway.

-Chris
Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #30

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
The bottom of Dividing Creek is soft, soupy mud. I often had problems getting the anchor to set there when I had a plow style anchor (CQR). Next time you head up the Wye, try the small cove just prior to Dividing Creek on the same side of the river. This spot opens up to a nice anchorage just right for 2 or 3 boats and carries 10 ft well back into the cove. The depths shown on a Garmin Bluechart are accurate
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #31
Guru

Ranger,
That's almost funny about the old Max guy not lik'in the fact that they tested at 3-1. Many tests go to quite a lot of trouble to test at 3-1 because (IMO) they know a lot of boaters anchor at 3-1. Why else would they go to all that trouble. And the testers probably think it may sorta separate the men from the boys (so to speak). Probably 1/3 of anchor tests test at 3-1 scope .. but that's just a guess.

Looks to me like the Max, set right w the flukes, rode and all else at the right angles it could out perform (holding power wise) just about anything. I've heard quite a number of times from people in the business that holding power is directly portional to fluke area. I'll be looking fwd to seeing the max in "regular" anchor tests.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Tim, The Rocna is more of a scoop than a plow like the Delta. I haven't personally tried one as it won't fit on my pulpit. I'm going to replace my Delta with a Vulcan some time soon.

I've been selling Rocnas pretty well and Vulcans are starting to move but I still sell a lot of Deltas. I imagine they are all pretty good anchors.

I'm coming over to St. Pete in late August. Would you like me to bring one over for you to try? I'd bring a Vulcan also. The Vulcan would probably fit better than a Rocna.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #33
Guru

Other anchors that may work well as a Delta replacement;

Spade
Super Max
Bruce (original) larger.
Manson Boss

Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Tim, The Rocna is more of a scoop than a plow like the Delta. I haven't personally tried one as it won't fit on my pulpit. I'm going to replace my Delta with a Vulcan some time soon.

I've been selling Rocnas pretty well and Vulcans are starting to move but I still sell a lot of Deltas. I imagine they are all pretty good anchors.

I'm coming over to St. Pete in late August. Would you like me to bring one over for you to try? I'd bring a Vulcan also. The Vulcan would probably fit better than a Rocna.
Thanks HopCar. We're still on the Chesapeake and won't be home till early next year. I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Our boat had a Super Max on it when we bought it. It truly was an ugly anchor. Whatever id was on it was worn off and I could never figure out what kind it was. Now I know. It was about 110 lbs for a 48 ton boat. We never used it so I have no idea how effective they are.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
... I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.
There used to be a rule that the dog does not get banned from the house for farting once.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Ranger,
That's almost funny about the old Max guy not lik'in the fact that they tested at 3-1. Many tests go to quite a lot of trouble to test at 3-1 because (IMO) they know a lot of boaters anchor at 3-1. Why else would they go to all that trouble. And the testers probably think it may sorta separate the men from the boys (so to speak). Probably 1/3 of anchor tests test at 3-1 scope .. but that's just a guess.

Looks to me like the Max, set right w the flukes, rode and all else at the right angles it could out perform (holding power wise) just about anything. I've heard quite a number of times from people in the business that holding power is directly portional to fluke area. I'll be looking fwd to seeing the max in "regular" anchor tests.

I gather his beef was only about their setting technique, since he says elsewhere (I think) that reducing scope (as to 3:1) after properly setting is quite acceptable.

-Chris
Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There used to be a rule that the dog does not get banned from the house for farting once.

I think it's quite reasonable to continue working up here with the Delta in the meantime. Known issues can often be mitigated by technique, so we didn't jettison our Delta (on that previous boat) when it farted a couple times.

-Chris
Old 07-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #39

City: Fort Lauderdale
I wish the new owners of SuperMax the best of success in the future. I am sure that our paths will cross one day soon, possibly while exhibiting at a boat show.

There can be no question that the capability of adjusting the shank / fluke to a wider angle position will dramatically increase an anchor's holding capability in a soft mud bottom.

In addition to Fortress and SuperMax, much larger anchor manufacturers such as Baldt, Bruce, the US Navy, and Vryhoff all make anchors with this feature.
Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #40
Guru

FWIW, I'd be happy to be one of their early SuperMax repeat (so to speak) customers

I really do want to upsize to the Max17 pivoting 50-lb version recommended for our current boat weight/windage...

But that hasn't bubbled to the top of my wallet yet... and won't, for a while, unless somebody nearby would like a Max16 pivoting 44-lb version that we brought over from the previous smaller/lower boat.

Anybody in the upper Chesapeake area interested?

-Chris