Anchoring Techniques

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am wondering why you tie off the snubber/bridle to the windlass after anchoring rather than to a cleat or Sampson post? A snubber/bridle is supposed to take the anchoring pressure off the windlass. Your process doesn’t seem to do that.

Last edited:
Hi Norm, welcome aboard from north coast BC, Canada.

Thanks for the tour of your boat :thumb:

I see some similarities to Campania Island off BC's north coast to where you were in Tasmania, but our ferns aren't quite as big :D

Thanks for taking us along and sparking dreams for the future :thumb:

HaHa ... well done video. That’s always been my favorite gig. To lay out the rode while backing. And not letting the anchor touch the bottom before sternway commenced.

This is my favorite anchor. I’ve claimed it many times but never even held one in my hands. I do notice that the aft end of the fluke is rather brownish. The same brown that appears on our bows after long times running. Could be for the same reason .. more likely for a related reason.

This motivates me to scan “Anchor Setting Videos” again as a review. I remember the SS did very well but watching it happen will be kinda fun.

I miss having good discussions w Peter B.

I am wondering why you tie off the snubber/bridle to the windlass after anchoring rather than to a cleat or Sampson post? A snubber/bridle is supposed to take the anchoring pressure off the windlass. Your process doesn’t seem to do that.
You don't want to work the insides of the windlass.... The bolts holding it down and cleats bolted or cast into the windlass should be fine to hold for regular, non-storm anchoring.

The point of the snubber is to take the tension off of the gypsy/wildcat. In this case the cleat, the housing and the mounting base are a all integrated. Essentially the cleat ontop IS the samson post.

Back
Top Bottom