Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Fred let's see a pic of your winch.

When we anchored in the 50 knot blow on our last trip there were two other boats in the anchorage. A Krogen with a Bruce that had caught a small tree. He dragged. We had to move because of his dragging nearly into us. The 45' sailboat moved once because of the dragging Krogen and he didn't drag. He had a CQR.

There is an add for Danforth in my 1953 Motor Boating magazine that claimed the Danforth had the highest holding power of any other anchor. Now over 50 years later that's still true.
Funny how they're all always talking new and improved and in my boating career I can't really see much difference at all from the time I started to today.

And while we don't anchor often, when we do, I worry a lot less about my anchor holding than I do all the other boats around.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #22
FF
Guru

>Fred let's see a pic of your winch.<

Its not the winch that is of interest , it is the fact it is HYD powered.

No white smoke , when overloaded .

When it stops , overloaded ,all that is required is another 200 rpm on the engine .

Any Hyd windlass has the same delightful features.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
On our commercial boats we have extra heavy duty everything - from windlassess to anchors. If your bow roller can handle a heavier anchor and the windlass can winch it - then go with a 31kg anchor. If not, then stay with a 18kg model.

I computed one time that the four anchors we carry weigh more than a 57 Chevy.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Well this guy thinks size and weight matter.

I was down in Seattle yesterday at Hatton Marine and the Salmon Bay Cafe and saw this serious motorsailer.

I saw this monster Forfjord taking the first pic but when I walked over to the boat I saw the big Navy anchor on the other side. You can see the Navy in the first pic. Guy must have 600lbs of anchor. Judging from the anchors he probably has all big chain too.

I looked for the "Interesting Boats" thread but couldn't find. Decided this would be an appropriate place. Another pic shows a boat in Craig AK w a 500lb Navy anchor. Some guys thing bigger is better no matter how big you go. As many of you know I'm dead set against excess weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1474 copy.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	30077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1476 copy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	30078   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1477 copy.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	30079   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1478 copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	30080   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1480 copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	30081  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0759 copy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	30082  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Is this really a serious discussion???

If I could easily handle/store (with or without a windlass) a 5,000 pound anchor...would I????

Obviously...so the question for intelligent people is what will do great for me in my normal and occasional anchoring situations?

Not many of these discussions seriously answer specifics...just generalities which are just about meaningless.

Send boat size, weight, approximate windage...the places you MAY anchor and be exposed to extremes...and then only the most basic recommendations are meaningful...the rest is just another forum discussion. vary from those specifics and it's a whole nother discussion.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Is this really a serious discussion???

If I could easily handle/store (with or without a windlass) a 5,000 pound anchor...would I????
Only you could answer that question?

Oh, were you not being serious?

I think looking back through the thread there were helpful responses. Far better than most anchor discussions go.

I will stick with my wife and say the chart plus one. But also look at the capacity of the windlass he has and see what it will handle. I doubt seriously it will accommodate a 5000 pound anchor and hopefully it's just sized to handle a larger, but still sensible size for his boat.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Only you could answer that question?

Oh, were you not being serious?

I think looking back through the thread there were helpful responses. Far better than most anchor discussions go.

I will stick with my wife and say the chart plus one. But also look at the capacity of the windlass he has and see what it will handle. I doubt seriously it will accommodate a 5000 pound anchor and hopefully it's just sized to handle a larger, but still sensible size for his boat.
Thank you for making my point...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #28
Guru

There are hundreds and hundreds of boaters here on the forum deciding from post to post just how serious any post or thread is. One persons opinion means almost nothing. 999% of the opinions will never be communicated to anybody. This is a forum on the internet and most of what goes on here will be in the minds of individuals.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
There are hundreds and hundreds of boaters here on the forum deciding from post to post just how serious any post or thread is. One persons opinion means almost nothing. 999% of the opinions will never be communicated to anybody. This is a forum on the internet and most of what goes on here will be in the minds of individuals.
999% is a high percentage. So for every one opinion here, almost ten of them will not be communicated. Wow.

Years ago there was an outrageous talk radio host who just did a show of humor. Every once in a while he'd get a caller saying he should do topics, tackle serious subject. He responded that early in his career he had, but not one time had any issue ever been resolved on talk radio.

Now honestly I think a lot of good information is exchanged on this site. And some good humor at times. Only occasionally do we wander to 5000 pound anchors and 999% results and when we do, it's generally not a tragedy that is going to destroy our world.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now honestly I think a lot of good information is exchanged on this site. And some good humor at times. Only occasionally do we wander to 5000 pound anchors and 999% results and when we do, it's generally not a tragedy that is going to destroy our world.
Now, that's the right attitude, right there..!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
This is very pernicity to bring up on a lovely sunny Saturday morning, however as my old Statistics lecturer used to hammer into us.

There is no such thing as 999%. If you are comparing parts per 1,000 then the term is 999 per mil.

I'll go back to my Earl Grey tea now.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
This is very pernicity to bring up on a lovely sunny Saturday morning, however as my old Statistics lecturer used to hammer into us.

There is no such thing as 999%. If you are comparing parts per 1,000 then the term is 999 per mil.

I'll go back to my Earl Grey tea now.
Wifey B: Well....duh. I think he meant to say 99.9%. But 999% is legitimate mathematically just not accurate here. Per my hubby, the math dude, you could for instance have a 999% increase in fuel expense.

Now probably best to be careful when pointing out the other guy's miscue. Pernicity? Assuming you meant "Pernickety" as in the British term for "Persnickety" meaning fussy, difficult to please, finicky, over fastidious. "Pernicity", a noun meaning celerity or swiftness. Actually quite an archaic term.

Ok, turning teacher side and English major side back off. Wild and crazy side returning. Now 110% smiling. Yeah....I know impossible. Like the athletes always talking about giving it 110%. Or as Yogi Berra would say, "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."
Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
Guru

Thank you WifeyB,

Yup that's what I meant.

And you ARE good w words! I should give you my I-pad and go fish'in.

Sometimes I do wonder how much trawler forming is done in the minds of those that never post anything. Mods .... Any idea how many lurkers are out there? I see TF stuff here and there. Googled something the other day and there were several pics on our boat Willy. And I've seen others. Are there some stats that would be interesting to see or are those things in a musty file in a CIA basement?

Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Mods .... Any idea how many lurkers are out there? I see TF stuff here and there. Googled something the other day and there were several pics on our boat Willy. And I've seen others. Are there some stats that would be interesting to see or are those things in a musty file in a CIA basement?
Well, 8691 members although I'm sure some of those are probably gone long ago. I'm sure the administrator and owner have plenty of stats. Nothing wrong with lurkers either. Hopefully they benefit and continue to come here.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Lurkers?

Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Posted pictures are spread all over the Internet. For instance, Mare Island Causeway Bridge management wanted a picture of mine to be used on their website. Obviously, they found the picture doing a "Mare Island Bridge" search. I gave them permission.

Mare Island Causeway Bridge - City of Vallejo
Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #37
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RTF, That's very creepy.

Mark, Nice picture.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Posted pictures are spread all over the Internet.

It's the beauty of bots. Every search engine you can imagine are constantly "crawling" web sites, including this one, cataloging everything on them. One time I googled a subject and a 3 hour old thread here I hadn't seen yet came up as the top result.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #39
Guru

Mods,
What do you tell people about your "circulation" when folks inquire about advertising?

How would this forum change or stay the same if suddenly all the lurkers were to vanish?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Mods,
What do you tell people about your "circulation" when folks inquire about advertising?

How would this forum change or stay the same if suddenly all the lurkers were to vanish?
Fewer clicks, less advertising dollars....simple.

Lurkers pay.

And "circulation" is visitors, unique visitors, views...and click through.