Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #121
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Don't sweat it Art, I'll take one for the team and am willing to be the beta tester for the Aussie hook in the California Delta. Besides, I can't find(what I would consider to be) an attractive way to make my new Fortress FX-17 self deploy on my boat.
Craig - Thanks! Can't wait to hear your report(s)!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #122
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Craig - Thanks! Can't wait to hear your report(s)!

You'll have to wait till next year because the foredeck revamp and Kahlenburg horn install are winter/spring upgrade projects.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #123
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
You'll have to wait till next year because the foredeck revamp and Kahlenburg horn install are winter/spring upgrade projects.
No Rush!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #124
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Something else worth considering in all this anchor talk - sort of puts it in perspective and helps explain why most folk are still happy with whatever they use, and that is….
There are some places and conditions it is ridiculous to even consider anchoring in, and I'm not just referring to the bottom type.

We automatically exercise our survival instinct in these situations, and change our plans accordingly. We exercise our seamanship to avoid unnecessarily testing fate…and our anchor..by subjecting them to extreme conditions, and most of us get it right, most of the time.
I though it might be worth re-posting this from several pages back, because I think it does explain why most people still swear by the anchor they have, and why it is not necessary to dash out and change something for change's sake. (Hey psneeld gave it the thumbs up, so that must mean something..).

However, if you have been let down by your anchor, often it is because the bottom encountered at that time was not suitable for it. (As I was with my CQR over weed, enough times to make me look elsewhere).

As BruceK posted just a few posts above above, progress happens, improvements are made, and the significant improvement found on this new type of anchor, such as Moonstruck has just obtained, is the consistently fast setting and multi-bottom capability, lessening the amount of hardware one has to truck around/swap over etc.

Pleased to see Craig is going to take the plunge soon also, and we are all going to enjoy hearing their experiences with them over time. We look forward to feedback guys. I think we downunderians can just sit back and shut up now.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #125
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I was in a marine salvage place today in Sarasota, FL, and saw this familiar styled (but strangely named) anchor. I never knew Manson had such an anchor, called the "Manson Racer". All aluminum. This one was 20 lb. for 350 bucks. Looked unused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manson.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	32436  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I was in a marine salvage place today in Sarasota, FL, and saw this familiar styled (but strangely named) anchor. I never knew Manson had such an anchor, called the "Manson Racer". All aluminum. This one was 20 lb. for 350 bucks. Looked unused.
Apparently, they were developed to fill a need for a lightweight anchor that met yacht racing rules and they seem to be accepted as such by NZ and Oz racing authorities (but do not quote me on this - check!). Being NZ made they offer opportunity to support 'buy local'. To put in perspective, Fortress are standard equipment on the Volvo race and are the preferred option, or only choice with a few Guardians, on the Vendee Globe etc I think the Racer only comes in smaller sizes and is not demountable. They have been around, down-under, for a few years now.

I have never seen a test on one and I have never met anyone who has actually used one. The bobbles on the end of the stock are to reduce the chance of them being caught up in and damaging sails.
Djbangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #127
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Saw that there too a few weeks ago. Since Marine Surplus seems to sell more and more new stuff these days I'd bet it is brand new.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #128
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
They probably widened the fluke separation to give a bit more stability that was lost w the short stock. That gaping hole between the flukes could swallow a sizable rock and stress the structure perhaps to the bending point not to mention the immediate loss of holding power. Finding a rock big enough even a Navy anchor can swallow a rock.

I've seen the Racer on the Manson site for about 6 years when I bought my Supreme.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #129
Guru

What you seem to forget is the "racer" anchors are never intended to be used in the traditional sense. They are intended to satisfy the rules for the regatta being raced.

In that light, a 20 year old anchor can appear brand new as it was likely never deployed.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
What you seem to forget is the "racer" anchors are never intended to be used in the traditional sense. They are intended to satisfy the rules for the regatta being raced.

In that light, a 20 year old anchor can appear brand new as it was likely never deployed.
Hmmm. Good point. I suppose that if I needed a "racer" anchor, I wouldn't use it either Still, it's pretty spiffy looking and would make nice jewelry on the bow rail.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #131
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Hmmm. Good point. I suppose that if I needed a "racer" anchor, I wouldn't use it either Still, it's pretty spiffy looking and would make nice jewelry on the bow rail.
But you don't appear to be the kind of boater who would waste a bow mounting for "jewelry" rather than an anchor you trusted.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #132
Guru

Dave and Craig,
Just buy a Fortress and anodize it blue.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #133
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:

Hmmmm, a racing anchor on the bow of a Manatee, eh? Now, you're talking!
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #134
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Dave and Craig,

I did buy a Fortress and don't need any anodizing.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
But you don't appear to be the kind of boater who would waste a bow mounting for "jewelry" rather than an anchor you trusted.
Don't tell anyone, Mark, but when I go to the marine salvage stores, I always look longingly at the SS anchors. I'm practical, my boat is practical, my truck is practical, my needs are practical......let's face it, I'm a boring guy.

The bow jewelry idea is probably just a frustrated cry for help.;....yes.....to just have those girls in bikinis simply ask themselves the question: "Wow, does this guy have more going on than meets the eye".?

Meanwhile, I've got my Fortress hanging off my bow rail just as grey and conservative as the rest of the boat.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #136
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Hmmmm, a racing anchor on the bow of a Manatee, eh? Now, you're talking!
There ya go,...see what I mean. If that's not testimony to ZERO potential, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, Don has the newly glossed, eye-catching, high- powered swoon machine that speaks of obvious potential (that is until you actually get to meet Don).

Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #137
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
There ya go,...see what I mean. If that's not testimony to ZERO potential, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, Don has the newly glossed, eye-catching, high- powered swoon machine that speaks of obvious potential (that is until you actually get to meet Don).
Larry, you shouldn't have pulled back the curtain. Now, everyone can see it's just me pulling the strings.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #138
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings- It is high time to speak!! This continuing and never ending thread on the subject of anchors among repetitive threads, brings out what is so impressive with the Trawler Forum. The compares. (little spanish lingo there) with the witty give and take, sharing of information, and the personal relationships that are shared do bring a smile and enjoyment.
Each day's reading and email notices are truly to look foreword to, particularly after being absent from computer access.
Thanks to all for the entertainment

Al-Ketchikan(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #139
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
An Anchor Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Dave and Craig,

Eric,

Now that's a great idea. More Boomarang Bling! Since my anchor is at eye level, might as well make it nice to look at......

Larry
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #140
Guru

Sure .....
Dosn't cost that much and the best colors are gold, blue and clear. Fortress is probably anodized clear. Green and red ano dosn't look as good as blue and gold. And all can be done lightly or heavy ... light or dark color.

Other aluminum parts on your boat can also be anodized. As long as it isn't't too big ..... masts need not apply.