Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would not use that swivel because the side loads tend to open the fork. It may be pretty but if everything can move freely in every direction I don't like it.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I would not use that swivel because the side loads tend to open the fork. It may be pretty but if everything can move freely in every direction I don't like it.
That doesn't happen if the swivel is properly designed. As noted, the Ultra is stronger than the chain. It is not the weak link, it is the strongest link.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That doesn't happen if the swivel is properly designed. As noted, the Ultra is stronger than the chain. It is not the weak link, it is the strongest link.
...mine is just one of the cheapo galvanized but oversized for the chain. It can swing very freely in the anchor attachment hole so it would not be in a position to experience fork opening unless it was a very peculiar jam position in an unknown bottom. So even the cheap ones don't have to be a weak point....

And with good planning...none of my tackle should ever experience 1/2 the load it was all designed for.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #24

City: Miami
If you know how to coil a piece of three strand nylon line without any figure eights (yes figure eights are appropriate at times) then you shouldn't need a swivel. The most twist you should ever have to deal with is a half turn. Think about it. To release that 1/2 turn all that is required is to 1)re drop the anchor to the sea floor paying attention to whether the turn is clockwise or not. 2) go forward to the pulpit and grab the chain on the overboard side of the bow roller (this only works if you have a slotted chain roller otherwise you need to relieve the twist on the wildcat by removing the chain) and twist it 180 degrees in the opposite direction it was twisted 3) re set the newly untwisted chain back into the roller. 4) retrieve the anchor as usual.

Via iPhone.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #25
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
If you know how to coil a piece of three strand nylon line without any figure eights (yes figure eights are appropriate at times) then you shouldn't need a swivel. The most twist you should ever have to deal with is a half turn. Think about it. To release that 1/2 turn all that is required is to 1)re drop the anchor to the sea floor paying attention to whether the turn is clockwise or not. 2) go forward to the pulpit and grab the chain on the overboard side of the bow roller (this only works if you have a slotted chain roller otherwise you need to relieve the twist on the wildcat by removing the chain) and twist it 180 degrees in the opposite direction it was twisted 3) re set the newly untwisted chain back into the roller. 4) retrieve the anchor as usual.

Via iPhone.
Make sure I got this correct.....

When my 176# anchor comes up backwards, I just climb over the bow, holding on I suppose to the railing with one hand, stand on the roller, reach down and lift the anchor and chain with my other hand and rotate.

Then I don't need a swivel! Sweet!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #26

City: Miami
Anchor swivel attachment

You don't lift the anchor, only the chain. About 2 " for 2 seconds. Do it anyway you like, I prefer not to stand,I sit securely with my legs crossed under the pulpit. My chain weighs 2.5 pounds a foot dry and around 2 for the part that's immersed. If your chain is heavier and you can't do it this way the you could pass a line under it and pull it up by taking a wrap around the pulpit's rail.

My current anchor not that it even matters is 110kg.

Via iPhone.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
You don't lift the anchor, only the chain. About 2 " for 2 seconds. Do it anyway you like, I prefer not to stand,I sit securely with my legs crossed under the pulpit. My chain weighs 2.5 pounds a foot dry and around 2 for the part that's immersed. If your chain is heavier and you can't do it this way the you could pass a line under it and pull it up by taking a wrap around the pulpit's rail.

My current anchor not that it even matters is 110kg.

Via iPhone.
Done that, doesn't work. Swivel seems to work great though.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #28
Guru

After trying all the home remedies...I'm trying a swivel this year...easy enough to take off if just as bad and no danger in my mind for my anchoring style and locations.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
After trying all the home remedies...I'm trying a swivel this year...easy enough to take off if just as bad and no danger in my mind for my anchoring style and locations.
Psneeld, what anchor do you have?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #30
Guru

Manson Supreme 60lbs
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Manson Supreme 60lbs
The Ultra flip swivel should work for you. They are pricey, but really nice.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The Ultra flip swivel should work for you. They are pricey, but really nice.
Thank you...
Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #33
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Thank you...
One good thing is that they are really strong and based on the test results, more robust than the chain. If you don't have an issue with the Manson coming up backwards, it might be overkill, but if you do, it solves that problem. I rotated my chain 90, 180 and 270 degrees; dropped it all and hauled it back in again - basically everything I could to get my Claw to come home right side up but nothing really worked. Hence, the flip swivel.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #34
Guru

If you are an average boater not living out on the hook and not expecting to anchor out in a major blow of long duration the ultra or wasi ball swivel is probably more than up to the task. As with all SS and metal fittings regular inspection of the swivel or any other fitting on your anchor is a good Idea. Almost everything on a boat can and has failed at some time. That does not mean that part should not be used. The circumstances and the likely hood of failure has to be weighed. Masts fail that does not mean all masts should be deep sixed. Unless of course if you have a trawler whatever that is.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Our anchor likes to come up backwards, right before the shackle gets to the roller I use the boat hook and swing it around. Done.

Just my experience.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #36
Guru

Just a reminder some of the greatest strain on a windless and anchor system is when the anchor first reaches the bow roller and the windless has to pull the anchor now at almost 90 degrees angle from chain up and over. The old fashion swivel if in wrong plane will get over stressed and can cause eventual failure. A shackle also tends to hang up at the turn. This is where the Ultra swivel shines it automatically causes the anchor to adjust to the proper orientation and avoids the high strain situation.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote