Anchor swivel attachment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you...
One good thing is that they are really strong and based on the test results, more robust than the chain. If you don't have an issue with the Manson coming up backwards, it might be overkill, but if you do, it solves that problem. I rotated my chain 90, 180 and 270 degrees; dropped it all and hauled it back in again - basically everything I could to get my Claw to come home right side up but nothing really worked. Hence, the flip swivel.

If you are an average boater not living out on the hook and not expecting to anchor out in a major blow of long duration the ultra or wasi ball swivel is probably more than up to the task. As with all SS and metal fittings regular inspection of the swivel or any other fitting on your anchor is a good Idea. Almost everything on a boat can and has failed at some time. That does not mean that part should not be used. The circumstances and the likely hood of failure has to be weighed. Masts fail that does not mean all masts should be deep sixed. Unless of course if you have a trawler whatever that is.

Our anchor likes to come up backwards, right before the shackle gets to the roller I use the boat hook and swing it around. Done.

Just my experience.

Just a reminder some of the greatest strain on a windless and anchor system is when the anchor first reaches the bow roller and the windless has to pull the anchor now at almost 90 degrees angle from chain up and over. The old fashion swivel if in wrong plane will get over stressed and can cause eventual failure. A shackle also tends to hang up at the turn. This is where the Ultra swivel shines it automatically causes the anchor to adjust to the proper orientation and avoids the high strain situation.

Back
Top Bottom