Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
A light boat is a joy and a heavy boat is a dog. And who else thinks that is a general rule of thumb???And for what kind of boats???
When I am driving our 30,000 pound GB36 and three adults and a dog or two walk up to stand on the foredeck there is no discernible difference whatsoever in the boat's trim, handling or feel. I know the additional weight up there is pushing the bow down a bit, but in terms of the boats feel, handling, or even sight picture out the front, there is no discernible change.

Do the same thing on Carey's lobsterboat and there may well be a change in the handling, feel, ride, etc. But on a heavy boat like ours, the difference between an all chain rode in the locker and a combination rode of the same length would be zero from a handling, ride, etc. point of view. Same with an anchor. We used to have a 33 pound anchor on the pulpit. Now we have a 44 pound anchor up there. I suspect we could put a 55 pound anchor up there and there would still be no discernible difference in the trim, ride, handling, or feel of the boat.

As psneeld says, it all depends on the boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thank's psneeld we're doing fine now. We're at Pender Is tonight and probably tomorrow to avoid some of the holiday circus. Then we'll cross over into the US. I agree w all your comments.
Just read Marin's post. You're absolutely right guys. The trick is to decide how right you are and how right I am. I am right and you are right and the difference is fly stuff. Perhaps a bit more weight in the bow of Willy would keep her from bobbing up and down so much. But I've never had any heavy water smack the pilothouse windows ..... Yet.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But I've never had any heavy water smack the pilothouse windows ..... Yet.
We haven't either. Lots of fairly heavy spray thanks to the GB's minimal bow flare. But we've never taken any green water onto the bow even through the bow hawses and even when pitching up and down a LOT in the monster Bayliner wakes we get around here. You could plant sequoia trees in the furrows they plow.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
When I am driving our 30,000 pound GB36 and three adults and a dog or two walk up to stand on the foredeck there is no discernible difference whatsoever in the boat's trim, handling or feel. I know the additional weight up there is pushing the bow down a bit, but in terms of the boats feel, handling, or even sight picture out the front, there is no discernible change.

Do the same thing on Carey's lobsterboat and there may well be a change in the handling, feel, ride, etc. ...
Yeah, I like the stability/solid feel when walking the decks of 14-ton Coot, as opposed to my Dad's four-ton sloop.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #25

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
I have a somewhat oversized anchor on a light bow. On long runs I pick the anchor up with the stern cat using the float/retrieving line. The anchor rode remains attached through the bow roller and it’s an easy drop if needed. it’s nice having a clear bow in a big sea.
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote