Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #41
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Especially with another 50 pounds or so of mud...fortunately that can be knocked washed off for the last little bit.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We all "test" our anchor's capabilities each time we anchor-out.

Also "tested" is our skill at how to best set an anchor.

At same time we are inadvertently "testing" the bottom conditions of the exact place our anchor meets ground.

And, if that is not enough "testing" by us; then weather conditions currents, high/low tides ... not to mention waves and wakes... place a variable added group of what-if "tests" into the ongoing anchoring quandary of "How To NOT Drag Anchor" - Which after all is the most important part of anchoring success we seek to accomplish.

Of course, dropping anchor, retrieving anchor, and storing anchor are also importing skills we master as our boating years evolve.u

Point I'm making: Videos that show controlled anchor "tests" are fun to sometimes watch and the classic physics encountered during those films is just what it is, i.e. classic. However, in the "real" process of each time setting anchor "To NOT Drag" we as boaters each perform our own truly conclusive "tests". Those "tests" of ours are IMO the only anchoring "tests" that really count... for the long run...

Regarding anchor design, weight, types, models, manufacturers, materials and the rode style utilized = "different strokes for different folks"! A boaters choice regarding those several items are wholly additional set of "tests" we all encounter about anchoring.

Happy Anchor-Setting-Test Daze! - Art

The one thing most here think is most important is holding power. We do not test holding power. Some anchor tests put 5000lbs of tension on the rode. You can't test building materials either w/o testing to destruction. Testing to destruction in anchor testing is setting the anchor and increasing the tension on the rode untill the anchor drags or breaks out. We don't do that. It takes heavy equipment we don't have.

Re setting though we do a lot of testing and w good observations we learn a lot about anchoring. But interestingly the very act of setting indicates we lack faith in our anchors and/or the bottom. Mostly the latter if we have a clear view of the matter.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
Montenido
I'm late on this thread because I've been up in the Gulf Islands using my 55# Rocna. We bought the 55# (25 kg) because at the time that was the recommended size for our 40' sedan cruiser. if I were to do it again I would go with the 66#. I've had the anchor break out twice -- once in pretty poor bottom and once in what should have been ideal. On the other hand, we just had a night of sustained 25 mph winds with peak gusts of 32 and did fine, the bottom was good thick mud.
I'd probably buy a 44# Rocna or claw and 300' of 5/16, put that on the sailboat, and keep the Manson for the new trawler.
The Rocna gets most of the attention because it's a good anchor and Smith knows how to "hawk his wares" and does a lot of advertising and other promotion. It's good to hear reports like yours because I think the Supreme is a better anchor. Does more things really well. But the Rocna holds better by 5 to 10% at long scope. I have an experimental anchor that's better than both IMO.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I like "bigger is better" too, when it comes to anchors, but before getting too carried away, evaluate your ability to weigh anchor for when the windlass doesn't function for whatever reason. I'll tell you, I tested this in the slip on a nice calm day after letting the 88lb Delta soak deep into the ooze for a few hours. Only about 20-25 feet of chain out. Doable, but not fun. Makes you wish you could wave a wand and transform it into a Fortress on a whim.
Purchase a big Fortress... wish can be fulfilled!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #45
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
We just bought a 37 Nordic Tug that has a Rocna 20. Folks that owned the tug before us swear by it. The Bruce is in the aft locker, soon to be sold. Our backup is a Fortress 23. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439855263.615282.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	43256
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
We just bought a 37 Nordic Tug that has a Rocna 20. Folks that owned the tug before us swear by it. The Bruce is in the aft locker, soon to be sold. Our backup is a Fortress 23.
That's the same setup we have on our 36' 30,000 pound, twin engine cabin cruiser. So roughly the same size as your boat. We bought our Rocna in 2006 or 7 and it's given us flawless performance since including having a second boat rafted to us on windy days. We also have a Fortress FX23 on the swimstep for a stern anchor but it and its rode are sized to be the main anchor for our boat if we should want to use that style of anchor.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #47
Guru

City: kemah
Anyone know how the rocna stacks up to a claw? They seem to have somewhat similar shapes. My boat came with a 30kgs claw and it looks like it could hold pretty good.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Anyone know how the rocna stacks up to a claw? They seem to have somewhat similar shapes. My boat came with a 30kgs claw and it looks like it could hold pretty good.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
it will be similar to the difference in driving a hugo and driving a Maserati. Any body that says different has not used a new generation anchor
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #50
Guru

32 year old boat, just once I'd like to find something on it that didn't need replacing. LOL
Old 08-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #51
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The claw has a tendency to cut a furrow through some bottom types, rather than to set. Works well in some hard bottoms, poorly in a soft bottom.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I have owned two Bruce and Two Delta anchors and the Boss I currently own is better. Locally we have many different bottoms to pick and the Boss is the one we have found best for the local environments.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
I have owned two Bruce and Two Delta anchors and the Boss I currently own is better. Locally we have many different bottoms to pick and the Boss is the one we have found best for the local environments.
Interesting. I presume you are referring to the Manson Boss, their new spade-like anchor. So far one has not heard much about it from actual users. Do you find it sets quickly and well in most bottoms encountered so far..? Do you have to do a power set, or does a drift set suffice? How does it perform on the varying scopes from 3:1 up to 7:1, etc..? That sort of thing is always of interest.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #54
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
32 year old boat, just once I'd like to find something on it that didn't need replacing. LOL
It might not be the anchor, there have been great strides in developing better holding anchors over the last 32 years.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #55
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Anyone know how the rocna stacks up to a claw? .
We had a claw (Bruce). It's why we now have a Rocna. After we got the Rocna the Bruce proved to be outstanding for propping open a door in our garage. After several years of providing stellar service as a doorstop we didn't need it for that anymore so I cut it in half and we sent to a landfill in Oregon.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It might not be the anchor, there have been great strides in developing better holding anchors over the last 32 years.
The anchor has never left it's perch for as long as I have had the boat (since june). It sits up on the pulpit wrestling for space with the defender. My comment about it needing replacing was more to do with the overall age of things on the boat itself.

PO claims the claw (and the defender) held fast thru 2 hurricanes in the Caribbean. So I figure the rocna ought to hold thru a cat 5 based on the comparisons. Not that I will be on the boat like the PO was.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #57
Guru

There has been support for the Claw and similar types all along in the anchor threads.

My recollection is that Claws over 35 pounds or so rapidly rise in trust by their owners and once over 50 pounds...many owners swear by them.

So...unless you really want to replace it....I would wait until I had a lot more experience with it if that is possible. The experiences anchoring with it would be graduated to solidify that trust.

Part of anchoring is technique, so a lot depends on you as much as the anchor.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #58
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There has been support for the Claw and similar types all along in the anchor threads.

My recollection is that Claws over 35 pounds or so rapidly rise in trust by their owners and once over 50 pounds...many owners swear by them.

So...unless you really want to replace it....I would wait until I had a lot more experience with it if that is possible. The experiences anchoring with it would be graduated to solidify that trust.

Part of anchoring is technique, so a lot depends on you as much as the anchor.
True x 10!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #59
Guru

And the biggest variable is the bottom .. not the anchor.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #60
Guru

In my mind...the biggest variable is the experience of the skipper.