Anchor setting Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High Wire, I have been offered 2 Rocna anchors. Both are 35 pounds so not the best choice for comparing to the 45 pounders that I have been testing. One of the anchors belongs to my next door neighbor but it is attached to his boat and therefore not terribly convenient. The other is 1 hour away by car.

Lets just say that I am holding out for an easy and correctly sized example.

Steve

Hmmmmm....Steve, wasn't the Super Sarca you tested only 35 lbs..? :D

Pete, Correct. The Sarca is 35lbs.. That was Rex's decision. He had is reasons, among them was the higher cost of shipping a larger anchor.

Steve

To test holding power and in some ways other elements of anchor performance Steve using smaller anchor makes more sense to me than larger. Fifteen to 25lb anchors would probably work better and reveal more that 45lb anchors. Steve has already blown a big hole in the bigger is better clubhouse by pulling out an appearantly well set 65lb Forfjord w only 55hp and an 18" dia prop. I'll bet our Rocna fans would love to see Steve unable to pull out a 15lb Rocna. They probably won't be equally thrilled watching Steve's reduced scope test though.

I bought a pear shaped ring for towing or fwd thrust anchor testing at the marine store in Anacortes a few days ago. Plan to make a bridal that will utilize both of my stern cleats. But I have even less power than Steve w the same sized prop. But I have smaller anchors.

Eric,

Just to clarify, Panope's engine is a 3jh3e of 40 hp.

Steve

Steve I thought you had a small prop for less sailing drag.
My sailboat notions continue to lead me astray.
Sorry .. again.

Eric, I optimized for motoring performance (40 h.p., 18" diameter, 3 blade - Fixed). Boat formerly had a 15" diameter, 2 blade (driven by 15 hp.)

I do not feel that the sailing performance as been degraded an appreciable amount. Conversely, the motoring performance is phenomenally better than before. Boat drives into weather like a freight train. Remember the rather high numbers my "bollard pull test" produced (910 lbs. max)

I think many people who cruise on sailboats here in the Salish Sea/Inside Passage would have an overall better experience if they did something similar to what I did (get a big motor and prop).

Sailboat racers are another story.......

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
Sure would like to know why the Supreme had problems w the reversal. Especially since it was not a plugged RB hole. Perhaps a toe weight or angle of attack issue on it's side. I'll do a weight bias on my modified Supreme w/o the RB. One would think w/o the RB there would be considerably more tip weight.
Re your post I agree w all,
I think my BW gear has the same ratio fwd and reverse. Since there's so many BW's out there I'll probably get corrected if not. My gear is 2.57-1 .. Very similar to yours. What's your wot rpm running free and w 0 fwd speed pulling on an anchor? I think my bollard pull rpm is way down from running free.

At one time I was going to buy a sailboat and convert it to a trawler w a NT like house. Then we bought Willy and that turned out well. Now I've got a heater problem .... contaminated fuel .. my fault.

Last edited:
Eric,

I am currently embarked on a quest to answer the question about the Manson re-set issue. I will be using my grinder and welder. Stay tuned..........

Running free, Panope's engine makes3700 or 3800 rpm depending on the day. Tied to the dock or bottom (via anchor) the engine makes 3300 or 3400 depending on the day (we are talking about forward gear).

Last edited:
"Grinder and welder"
Now that sounds interesting!

Eric,

I am currently embarked on a quest to answer the question about the Manson re-set issue. I will be using my grinder and welder. Stay tuned..........

Running free, Panope's engine makes3700 or 3800 rpm depending on the day. Tied to the dock or bottom (via anchor) the engine makes 3300 or 3400 depending on the day (we are talking about forward gear).

Steve

IMHO... You are a most unusual and super productive TF member!

In just 222 threads you supplied us with more strikingly clear info/videos regarding anchors and their setting/holding capabilities than any TF member with thousands of posts, or otherwise... including million dollar anchor companies that spent tens of thousands trying to do what you are accomplishing. :thumb:

My Captain's hat is off to you!! ;)

Thanks! - Art

Steve

IMHO... You are a most unusual and super productive TF member!

In just 222 threads you supplied us with more strikingly clear info/videos regarding anchors and their setting/holding capabilities than any TF member with thousands of posts, or otherwise... including million dollar anchor companies that spent tens of thousands trying to do what you are accomplishing. :thumb:

My Captain's hat is off to you!! ;)

Thanks! - Art

Yup. Kudos Dude :thumb:

Been following the videos on a few different forums. Very enlightening and a thousand times better than watching an anchor mfg tow an anchor behind his pickup truck on a sandy beach.
My brother, who has much more experience than I do, has a 35#ish Bruce and about once a year he ends up with it not setting as it's gotten a rock between the flukes, a couple of times a bowling ball sized rock jammed in the cradle made by the flukes where he's had to raise the anchor and pry the rock out.
I'm looking for an anchor and have been looking at the videos to help me with my choice. I was curious about the Super Sarca and Excel as I'd not heard of them before. I contacted Anchor Right Australia and got an email back from Rex Francis. In inquiring about anchors I'd explained the Bruce/ bowling ball rock thing. Rex commented that the concave blade anchors like the Super Sarca, Supreme, Rocna will tend to collect rocks toward the shank, I'd think the rollbar is also likely to trap them. Where the convex blade anchors like the Delta, Excel and Spade would tend to push rocks away. Makes sense when you think about it. That has gotten me thinking more about a non-rollbar anchor like the Excel or Spade. Also looking at the Vulcan and wish I knew more about them. The fact that they're made by Rocna adds confidence. Also very good pricing compared to the Spade.
Also, Anchor Right is in the process of setting up a North American distributor. They think it'll be stocked in 6-8 weeks. Based out of Victoria, BC. Unfortunately I don't want to wait that long to get an anchor.

Wow, my first post and I've already gotten it screwed up. In my attempt to sort of group anchors that might have a propensity to collect or trap rocks and other debris I've been inaccurate in describing their blades as convex and concave. For example the Rocna and Supreme have a concave blade that would tend to move debris toward the shank while Super Sarca has a convex blade which would tend to shed debris but all have a rollbar which might trap debris between it and the shank. Whereas the Spade and Vulcan have a concave blade, so debris would tend to move toward the shank there is nothing to trap the debris. I guess something could get stuck between the blade and leading edge of the shank but I think it's likely that debris would fall to one side or the other.
So, what I think I'm looking for is a good performing anchor without a feature like the rollbar or the 3 flukes of the Bruce that may trap debris and I'm not that concerned if it's concave or convex blade.
I tried a Vulcan today and it doesn't fit my bow roller very well. It is an odd looking anchor.

Been following the videos on a few different forums. Very enlightening and a thousand times better than watching an anchor mfg tow an anchor behind his pickup truck on a sandy beach.
My brother, who has much more experience than I do, has a 35#ish Bruce and about once a year he ends up with it not setting as it's gotten a rock between the flukes, a couple of times a bowling ball sized rock jammed in the cradle made by the flukes where he's had to raise the anchor and pry the rock out.
I'm looking for an anchor and have been looking at the videos to help me with my choice. I was curious about the Super Sarca and Excel as I'd not heard of them before. I contacted Anchor Right Australia and got an email back from Rex Francis. In inquiring about anchors I'd explained the Bruce/ bowling ball rock thing. Rex commented that the concave blade anchors like the Super Sarca, Supreme, Rocna will tend to collect rocks toward the shank, I'd think the rollbar is also likely to trap them. Where the convex blade anchors like the Delta, Excel and Spade would tend to push rocks away. Makes sense when you think about it. That has gotten me thinking more about a non-rollbar anchor like the Excel or Spade. Also looking at the Vulcan and wish I knew more about them. The fact that they're made by Rocna adds confidence. Also very good pricing compared to the Spade.
Also, Anchor Right is in the process of setting up a North American distributor. They think it'll be stocked in 6-8 weeks. Based out of Victoria, BC. Unfortunately I don't want to wait that long to get an anchor.

Thanks Delfin,

I agree that a peek at a larger anchor will be very interesting.

After we test your big stuff, and if we have time, it might also be good to use Delfin to apply extreme setting force to my smaller anchors. If we are lucky, we might even break something!

Steve

Perhaps Saturday am? PM me if that works.

Ah,sean9c, the perils of confusing convex and concave.
Over several years, on retrieval, my Super Sarca has never had debris trapped against the roll bar. Nor have I heard of it.
Several US TF members already use the Sarca Excel. It has no roll bar, and may be more compact and fit where others do not.

Like he said and ditto that after 10 years now using the Super Sarca. I'm rather glad you picked yourself up sean9c, when you said...

"Rex commented that the concave blade anchors like the Super Sarca, Supreme, Rocna will tend to collect rocks toward the shank".

The sheer heresy of mentioning the Super Sarca in that company, and calling it convex...wow...sacrilege...you just saved yourself in time mate... :D

Oh yes...and don't be to hasty to diss the rollbar...and hey, 6-8 weeks is not so long. It's your winter after all...

Oh yes...and don't be to hasty to diss the rollbar...and hey, 6-8 weeks is not so long. It's your winter after all...

It is our winter, but if you look at these videos that Rfunk posted, you can see that we have some awfully nice cruising here in the winter.

But, 6-8 weeks isn't too long to wait. I'm sure Sean can even borrow an anchor in the mean time if he needs to.

Also, Anchor Right is in the process of setting up a North American distributor. They think it'll be stocked in 6-8 weeks. Based out of Victoria, BC.

I've heard rumours about a North American dealership a couple times over the last three years...hope this one bears fruit!

PeterB wrote;
"Oh yes...and don't be to hasty to diss the rollbar... "
I waited several years before I cut mine off.

But the market trend is clearly to move away from roll bars. The fall of the roll bar's popularity is not because of their poor performance but their inability to fit on the bows of a huge percentage of boats. The extreme popularity of the Bruce and Claws is because they DO fit very well on the bows of boats.

Last edited:
I should have just posted this info. I was nervous that I'd break some forum rule. I've now read through the rules and can't see one that'd prohibit me from posting this info. If there is, I'm sorry. Anchor Right's NA distributor is.
Ground Tackle Marine
Nicholas Shaw
nshawdvm at shaw.ca
As I mentioned he's in Victoria, BC and I'm sure Nick would be interested in answering any inquiries.

I've heard rumours about a North American dealership a couple times over the last three years...hope this one bears fruit!

Good on you Sean, for sussing out the Sarca Distributor, you are redeemed.
Victoria being on Vancouver Isl(it is, isn`t it or we will be seriously lost soon), wouldn`t a mainland location be better for a Sarca agent, but I guess imports don`t need to physically go there, and an agent, anywhere, is better than none. Also, the AUD and CAN are pretty much lockstep, both gaining as the USD slips, which helps.

BruceK'
We don't really care where the distributor is .. we would want the retailer. To protect their retailers some distributors won't sell product.
Any way they come I'm just glad they're here. And we yanks will get a good deal w the $ exchange. Soon there will be SARCA's everywhere.

It appears that Anchor Right is very motivated to enter the NA market. I'm thinking they'll do what's necessary to get anchors to users as quickly as possible. It'll be interesting to see what happens, the anchor market seems to be pretty full of high quality anchors already.
It's interesting, to me anyway, I'm just a knucklehead that's late to the party on this anchor thread but soon after I posted I was contacted by both Rex from Anchor Right and Nick from Ground Tackle asking what they could do to help. This thread has really gotten the attention of one manufacturer anyway and all credit has to go to those doing the testing and all that have posted here.
I found additional contact info for Ground Tackle Marine, AR's new NA distributor.
sales at groundtackle.com

Sean,
This has been brewing for a long time.

Thanks Sean. I will be in the market for a new anchor and really want to consider the Sarca Excel.

I'm sure anyone who gets a Super Sarca or Excel, will be happy with either - in a word they excel...sorry, got carried away a bit there... :D

But seriously, if you have a pulpit arrangement that rules out the roll bar, then the Excel is the way to go. If you would like one as a back-up, there is an alloy one that disassembles easily with minimal fuss, and because of the cunning way the shank slides through the fluke, it loses no strength by being able to be dismantled. However, unless you boat has the type of pulpit where the shank has to actually come aboard through a slot in the actual pulpit, then the roll bar is no issue. I works fine on any arrangement where the anchor shank comes up and over a roller, preferably, but not necessarily, hinge articulated, mounted at the end of the pulpit, or bowsprit, as it really should be called.

But there is something I love about looking out through the murk in a bit of nasty seaway and seeing that businesslike roll bar, proudly up the front, looking a bit like a large gun-sight, or a metal figurehead, and one that says, "don't mess with me, you'll come off second best". Not that I ram people mind, but if they were to come down on me...and knowing it will give me a good night's sleep when she hits the bottom in a suitable anchorage...bliss ;)

Sorry got a bit carried away again there...but all the same, there is something really businesslike about it's somewhat agricultural appearance...yah just godda luvit..!:social:
The last pic is the actual view from the helm...looks better out in the briny of course...and right way up. Why does that happen.? Bugger..!

Attachments

• Image121.jpg
    Image121.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
But there is something I love about looking out through the murk in a bit of nasty seaway and seeing that businesslike roll bar, proudly up the front, looking a bit like a large gun-sight, or a metal figurehead, and one that says, "don't mess with me, you'll come off second best". :socool:

You could always make money off it as a carney attraction... having ball toss contests off the bridge! :rofl:

Another anchor that needs some attention is the Boss. I've only seen it in one test and that was the Chesapeake Bay extreme mud test. "Oldeckhand" has had a Boss in Sitka Alaska for some time and has has nothing but good to say.

Perhaps I think of the Boss now as my modified Supreme is somewhat like the Boss .. and Vulcan. The Vulcan has a stunning shank but I think it's optimized for strength .. not performance as like any "I" beam like piece it's "fat" or thick at it's edges. Spade goes to a lot of trouble and expense to have a Shank that is as much like a knife as possible ... unfortunately the ballast chamber (deeper in the bottom) is so "fat" the knife like shank is of less value. But as I recall in Steve's tests the Spade does penetrate. Sometimes theory doesn't fly very far in anchoring. But sometimes theory is the closest thing to fact.

Peter it's odd that I haven't noticed it till just now but the first high performance new anchor I had was the original XYZ Extreme ... Seen in this picture if you break it down to just shank and fluke the XYZ shows a remarkable resemblance to the SARCA. The XYZ fluke was a bit convex too .. but less than the SARCA. Perhaps if we were to consult ancestory.com .....

Attachments

• Anchor_04_06 2 copy 3.jpg
    Anchor_04_06 2 copy 3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
I'm sure anyone who gets a Super Sarca or Excel, will be happy with either - in a word they excel...sorry, got carried away a bit there... :D

But seriously, if you have a pulpit arrangement that rules out the roll bar, then the Excel is the way to go. If you would like one as a back-up, there is an alloy one that disassembles easily with minimal fuss, and because of the cunning way the shank slides through the fluke, it loses no strength by being able to be dismantled. However, unless you boat has the type of pulpit where the shank has to actually come aboard through a slot in the actual pulpit, then the roll bar is no issue. I works fine on any arrangement where the anchor shank comes up and over a roller, preferably, but not necessarily, hinge articulated, mounted at the end of the pulpit, or bowsprit, as it really should be called.

But there is something I love about looking out through the murk in a bit of nasty seaway and seeing that businesslike roll bar, proudly up the front, looking a bit like a large gun-sight, or a metal figurehead, and one that says, "don't mess with me, you'll come off second best". Not that I ram people mind, but if they were to come down on me...and knowing it will give me a good night's sleep when she hits the bottom in a suitable anchorage...bliss ;)

Sorry got a bit carried away again there...but all the same, there is something really businesslike about it's somewhat agricultural appearance...yah just godda luvit..!:socool:

Pete, I think you and your Sarca need to get a room!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom