Old 02-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #141

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Indeed! And I like the testing is consistent and seems completely objective.
One thought, Rex told me a constantly used anchorage area can have a disturbed bottom surface offering degraded holding. I think you use one anchoring area to make the test equal for all products tested, which makes sense, but wondered what you thought about the usage bottom effect.
Thanks, Bruce

I try my best to be objective. I am only human so it is hard to be perfect.

Funny you should mention the disturbed bottom surface issue as I recently was thinking the same thing. My test area is near a popular Summertime anchorage but is far enough away from the grocery store that a boat will almost never use it.

However, there is one person who is potentially stirring up the bottom a meaningful amount - ME! I have recently been "inching" my test area away from the cluster of GPS way-points that mark previous sets. This area has uniform sub-strait for miles and miles. Also, the bottom is very flat giving me almost unlimited space to find undisturbed seabed.

Steve

Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Good grief. How many anchors does one need?!
The same as the number of pictures one needs of their own boat.

Steve

Old 02-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #143
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
I found a very nice 20lb Danforth for $30. Bought it.
My little 13lb Danforth has been so good I thought a big brother would be appropriate ... a bigger higher quality Danforth. This one is the best I've seen. Looks like it could pick up rocks between the flukes though. I now have three or four anchors for sale.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #144

City: Doha and Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mechanical product evolution weeds out the less than perfect solutions and eventially only one solution remains…

The fact that quite a few different styles/types look quite different indicates that perfection has not arrived...

But unlike biological evolution anchor evolution will IMO evolve until most all anchors look just about alike and are of the same type.
Very simply put, anchor evolution will continue forever because of one simple word - CAPITALISM.

If I invent a new anchor with a cool design and paint it yellow or blue and put a wicked-looking roll bar on it then I can market it as the best in the world and MAKE MONEY.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #145
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Mark said...
Good grief. How many anchors does one need?!

Steve replied....
The same as the number of pictures one needs of their own boat.

Touche´ Mark..?

Steve asked ...
Five very fine anchors. With an arsenal like this, How could I possibly survive the shame of Panope (hypothetically) dragging ashore?

My suggestion...
The tyranny of choice perchance..?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #146
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark,
I found a very nice 20lb Danforth for $30. Bought it.
My little 13lb Danforth has been so good I thought a big brother would be appropriate ... a bigger higher quality Danforth. This one is the best I've seen. Looks like it could pick up rocks between the flukes though. I now have three or four anchors for sale.
By George, I've got it...! (apologies to My Fair Lady)...Eric, the perfect solution awaits you. Once Steve has tested this #5 Super Sarca, even if it performs extremely well, which (sticking my neck out here a bit) it will, it is a bit light for his vessel as a regular main anchor, but it would be perfect for you.

Sorry about all these assumptions guys - tell me to butt out if you like - as possibly Steve may want to keep the SS after all? But, he just might be willing to sell it to you Eric, as you are basically just down the road from him, and then YOU COULD SELL ALL YOUR OTHER ANCHORS, except maybe that nice little 20lb Danforth you just bought as a soft mud option...you wouldn't need it, but it would make you feel better having one other I detect...oh and you'd be stuck with your dismembered Manson Supreme because you couldn't sell that sans roll bar now. Just sayin'..?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Horrified to hear Eric may be selling some anchors. Surely they are as beholden as children, especially the modified ones.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #148
Guru

Thanks for think'in of me Peter but the Dan20 cost me 30 bucks. And I have great expectations for the Hogback Supreme but of course being an anchor it could supprise me and turn to scrap metal.

Also I think Steve just bought a new Spade. Not very similar to the SARCA but fairly close in performance. The SARCA has the roll bar (that I'm not nuts about) and the Spade has the ballast chamber (that I'm not nuts about) but both work very well. The very best anchor of the future will have neither aformentioned features ... IMO but anchor surprises are the norm.

Some time ago I was close to calling Rex about the SARCA but I went some other route. I'm anxious to get my modified Hogback Supreme and Chisel XYZ to Steve for vids and fun. But if the Dan20 works as well as my old Dan13 all I'll need is a rock anchor. An anchor I've never thought about and have no experience w comes to mind .. the Delta .. for that service.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #149
TF Site Team

Eric, have you not read Steve's last few posts. Rex is sending him a Super Sarca #5 to test. It will need to end up in a good home, if Steve doesn't need it himself, and it is a bit on the small side for his boat, I am pretty sure. This could be your best chance to get one. The #5 would be perfect for Willy. Steve is in your state, is he not..?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #150
Guru

Peter,
That anchor is worth at least $400. USD. Too much for me now. I've become poor ... er.

Steve is close but kind of across the water. I probably will go his way on Willy when I recomission her .. two weeks about. Could go on a ferry too. Wish you were that close.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #151

Pete, Eric,

The Sarca very well may need a new home when I am done testing. But let me test it before any decisions are made.

Re: Price. Lets just say that Rex is treating me very well on the price of the anchors that he is sending to me. Any anchor that I sell (if I sell) will be priced well below list price.

Steve
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #152

In case anyone is interested, I'll state the origin of the anchors that I have tested so far:

Manson Supreme 45 lb. - Purchased by me, second hand, 4 years ago $300.
Danforth Copy 25 lb. - Purchased by my father, 30 years ago. $???.
Bruce (genuine) 33 lb. - Purchased by my father, 27 years ago. $???.
Forfjord 65 lb. - Purchased by me, New, 4 years ago. $600.
Fortress FX16 10 lb. - Purchased by me, second hand, 3 months ago. $110.
CQR 50 lb. - Borrowed from a dock mate.
Spade 44 lb. -Purchased by me, new, 2 months ago at a Big discount, from Spade USA
Bruce (copy) 33 lb. -Borrowed from my next door neighbor.
Danforth (genuine) 20 lb. -Borrowed from my next door neighbor.
Northill 12 lb. - Borrowed from my father (he found it on the bottom of puget sound).
Luke (copy) 40 lb. -Borrowed from a friend.
Fisherman 100 lb. -Borrowed from a friend.
Bruce (genuine) 44 lb. -Purchased by me, second hand, 2 months ago. $88.
Excel 48 lb. -Purchased by me, new, very recently, at a big discount, from Anchor Right.
Mantus 45 lb. -Purchased by me, new, very recently, at a big discount, from Mantus.

The discounts that I have received will allow me to sell some anchors and break-even on my out of pocket costs.

Steve
Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #153
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Pete, Eric,

The Sarca very well may need a new home when I am done testing. But let me test it before any decisions are made.

Re: Price. Lets just say that Rex is treating me very well on the price of the anchors that he is sending to me. Any anchor that I sell (if I sell) will be priced well below list price.

Steve
Aha, well...thereyago Eric...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #154
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
In case anyone is interested, I'll state the origin of the anchors that I have tested so far:

Manson Supreme 45 lb. - Purchased by me, second hand, 4 years ago $300.
Danforth Copy 25 lb. - Purchased by my father, 30 years ago. $???.
Bruce (genuine) 33 lb. - Purchased by my father, 27 years ago. $???.
Forfjord 65 lb. - Purchased by me, New, 4 years ago. $600.
Fortress FX16 10 lb. - Purchased by me, second hand, 3 months ago. $110.
CQR 50 lb. - Borrowed from a dock mate.
Spade 44 lb. -Purchased by me, new, 2 months ago at a Big discount, from Spade USA
Bruce (copy) 33 lb. -Borrowed from my next door neighbor.
Danforth (genuine) 20 lb. -Borrowed from my next door neighbor.
Northill 12 lb. - Borrowed from my father (he found it on the bottom of puget sound).
Luke (copy) 40 lb. -Borrowed from a friend.
Fisherman 100 lb. -Borrowed from a friend.
Bruce (genuine) 44 lb. -Purchased by me, second hand, 2 months ago. $88.
Excel 48 lb. -Purchased by me, new, very recently, at a big discount, from Anchor Right.
Mantus 45 lb. -Purchased by me, new, very recently, at a big discount, from Mantus.

The discounts that I have received will allow me to sell some anchors and break-even on my out of pocket costs.

Steve
OMG - PopEye the Sailor Man gots nutten on you! Toot! Toot!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #155
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Quote:
Pete, Eric,

Steve
Steve,
I currently have a #7 Super Sarca for sale since we sold our boat. A #5 would be perfect for the new boat. I will trade you the #7 for the #5 even. I will be in California in July and can bring it with me. We have used ours many times. If it was the right size for the new boat you would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #156
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Help me out here guys. How does anchor weight come into this search for the best anchor for one's boat? Let's say you conclude that the Marva #6 anchor is the perfect primary anchor for your boat.

And let us say that your anchor roller and windlass have the capacity for even a larger anchor. In theory, if a Marva #6 (40 lb.) anchor is the right size for your boat and costs X dollars. And the Marva #9 (50 lb.) anchor costs X+$200.

If you plan to keep your boat ten more years, doesn't it make sense to spend the extra $20 per year to buy the Marva #9 so that you can sleep even better at anchor? Or the Marva #11 even at X + $400 (or $40 per year) more?

Doesn't it make sense to buy the freeking biggest anchor that your windlass will deal with?
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #157
Guru

City: Essex, Ct
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Usually there are limitations on the shank length before it will jamb up against the windless. I have always installed the largest anchor that would fit.

Like someone said, when the guys at the dock laugh at you for having such a big anchor, it is just right.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #158
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I simply buy the next size up from anchor recommended by manufacturer for my size boat. That way it's not too darn big and surely not too small. Always has worked so far (for over 4 decades).

Strongly recommend Fortress anchors. They are basically the Danforth design (a great anchor design IMO) on steroids from improved features; light weight for easy handling too.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #159
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sorry, Art, those Danforth types bring up too much muck and keep trying to pinch my fingers, leastwise for me.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Steve,
I currently have a #7 Super Sarca for sale since we sold our boat. A #5 would be perfect for the new boat. I will trade you the #7 for the #5 even. I will be in California in July and can bring it with me. We have used ours many times. If it was the right size for the new boat you would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Testing two different sizes of the same design could give some interesting information.

Lets hold off until I am done testing the #5. Who knows, I might develop a firm grip on it myself.

Steve