Anchor setting Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gilberto,
The Spade is a high end anchor and the Spade shank adds considerably to it's cost. It's welded up in a triangular cross section. Either pay a highly paid welder or build/buy a robotic welder. Both options =$. The shape of the shank does the job of roll bar so it's longer than most anchors. Longer = bigger and that = heavier. The Vulcan has a slight "I" beam cross section shape that does reduce it's weight slightly. So the light and expensive Spade shank is a big plus, especially for these self righting shanks. The boss and Vulcan have the same type of shank in that they take the place of the roll bar but they are cheaper and considerably heavier than the Spade w solid metal shanks. But most anchor manufacturers are more concerned about the cost. How many anchors have hollow welded up shanks?
Grinding is expensive too as it's time consuming. I was very much supprised to find how much time it took to do the grinding I wanted on my anchors.

As to Lewmar and the blunt tip look at all the Claws. None have sharp leading edges. As I said I'm not sure why. They call Claws "copies" and if the original had blunt edges .......... gotta make a faithful copy right? .
I suspect that most Claws have too much throat angle. It causes them to break out vertically .. butt first I suspect. Thought I saw that in Steve's vids.

Last edited:
I guess one gets what one pays for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom