Old 03-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #301
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Steve, thanks ever so much for the sharing of your anchor testing. It was very revealing. I chose the Excel because of the independent Australian anchor tests, it fit perfectly on my bow with its stop notch, and because Rex Frances is a prince of a fellow. Your tests have verified for me the choosing was not folly. I, too, agonized a little over what would fit and look best on the bow. However, I did not want to give up performance.

Eric, if I remember correctly, the maximum holding power of a smaller Excel than mine was around 2,200 kilos. That was by an independent Australian tester. I have found the Excel to be a reliable setter. Although, it has not been subjected to any extreme conditions.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #302
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Steve, I think Emma is brilliant..."steerable" anchors

Might only be popular with equatorial boaters however...

Old 03-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #303

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Steve - thank you for your work. I have a 44lb Bruce on board. Looking for another one. I took notice of your choice. I was leaning toward the Mantas in the 60lb class. Now I'm re-thinking....need more info, over.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #304

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Tonto, One thing that I did not talk about in the video is price. If that is a factor for you, then the Mantus would be hard to beat.

At my pay rate, price would normally be a factor but in this unique situation, the anchors were all sitting on my bench ready for the taking.

I did shell out money for most of the anchors (at about half price). In the future, I will only accept free anchors for testing. A manufacturer should think of it as a (small) payment for the testing. Someday, I will have a grand anchor sale and collect my 'salary'.

Steve
Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #305
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For the record, my Manson Supreme doesn't seem to clog any more than any other anchor I have used ( bruce, claw, delta, danforth, cqr, navy, and a few others in very limited use).....and have used it in most sticky bottom types found along the AICW....been using it for 4 years and around 10,000 miles of cruising.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #306
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I think Steve's anchor review has proven (among other things) that there are some really good anchor designs to chose from.

Again, Thanks! Steve
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #307

If all I had was my Manson Supreme, I would not seek out a replacement.

If all I had was my Genuine Bruce, I would probably look for something with more holding power.

Steve
Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #308
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Steve, thank you for your thorough work!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 AM   #309
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Great work Steve. All good information, and clearly there are several anchors there that would be a perfectly reasonable choice for anyone, and clearly several better not used as a main, but maybe as a stern or back-up anchor, and...dare I say it, one or two best left out altogether now.

I have always been upfront re my liking for the Super Sarca, based on many years to varied bottom use, and your test supports that, especially as it was a bit of an orphan in being a size at least smaller than ideal for your boat, yet still held up well. However, I can certainly understand your personal selection of the Spade.

You know what I'm going got say next, and please feel no pressure whatsoever, because what you've accomplished has been a bit of a marathon, but all that remains in my view is the Sarca trip slot test. Clearly you were influenced against the slot by the Manson's slot performance, which is completely understandable, and the only reason I am bothering to pursue this issue at all is because my experience says the slot and its properly selected and installed shackle, would not misbehave as the Manson's did, and because it is an issue worth clarifying once and for all.

I say this because certain posters on here has repeatedly criticised the fact it might trip under dangerous circumstances, (largely based on heresy and third hand stories), and because in order to be able to deploy the controlled trip mechanism, and save potential loss of the anchor, one needs to have the chain attached to the slot. Once the anchor is fouled it is too late to alter that.

If anyone has tried to change anchors, or in this case from one fixing point to another, especially after it has not been disturbed for some time, the shackles are very hard to undo, and not the thing you want to have on in a seaway on a dark and rainy night. The fact the Super Sarca has the bolt which can be installed or removed quite easily, either opening or locking off the slot is a great idea, but this still necessitates one being omniscient enough to anticipate when a foul-up might occur. Murphy's Law says otherwise.

So, because of this fact, is why I feel it a pity if folk are put off using the slot, based on heresy and inaccurate/insufficient evidence, and your testing method is the one way this might be put to bed.

So...some time in the future...when you are sufficiently rested from your video labours, and becoming a bit bored even, and the urge takes you to do another anchor test, or even muck around with yet a new camera suspension idea, please, pretty please, do those same 3 : ! scope tests with an open slot, (no bolt), with reverse current/wind direction, etc, on the Sarca, so we can all see what happens, once and for all..?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #310
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, May I echo Peter`s plaintive request? I use my Super Sarca in shackle slide mode, be good to know if I made the right choice.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #311

Pete,Bruce:

I will conduct 'Rock Slot' tests with the Sarca at some point in the future. Perhaps I will dream up a different test just for the occasion. I'll likely include the Manson Supreme (with it's rock slot) in the tests.

Stay tuned......

Steve
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #312
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
Since you like curves ... have you seen the new Vulcan?

That shank is even beyond the Ultra. If it wasn't for it's herritage and if I needed a new anchor (got plenty) I'd be look'in the Vulcan way. The prototype was butt ugly. Never would'a thunk it could have come to be so beautiful. Have no idea about it's performance though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #313

Eric,

So far, I've only seen pictures of the Vulcan. You are right - its very curvy. I would need to see it on my boat to make a final decision about the looks but it does look pretty good.

Sadly, my offer to Canada Metals to test their anchor(s) did not bear any fruit.

Steve
Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #314
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Sadly, my offer to Canada Metals to test their anchor(s) did not bear any fruit.
There could be any number of reasons, but a manufacturer who lets a 3rd party they don`t really know test their anchor in circumstances out of their control needs to be willing to take a risk. Well done to the manufacturers who provided product to test.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #315
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Is there a US supplier for the Sarco Anchors? A really quick check only showed Australian and NZ distributors.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Is there a US supplier for the Sarco Anchors? A really quick check only showed Australian and NZ distributors.
I don`t think so. Steve and KSanders and Moonstruck(others too I think) have imported anchors from Australia. Try contacting Rex Francis via their site(Anchor Right Australia), he`s helpful and will know how to get one to you if you decide to order. Our dollar is up a little now(or yours is down) but still good for you, pretty much lockstep with Canada.
PS. It`s SARCA.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #317
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
PeterB,
I've been waiting for you to make that post (309) for days.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #318

City: Varies
Until this video series I never realized Spade anchor cost double what most others do. I was thinking of switching to a spade on our new boat, but think I will reconsider now that I have seen the prices. Ouch.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #319
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I don`t think so. Steve and KSanders and Moonstruck(others too I think) have imported anchors from Australia. Try contacting Rex Francis via their site(Anchor Right Australia), he`s helpful and will know how to get one to you if you decide to order. Our dollar is up a little now(or yours is down) but still good for you, pretty much lockstep with Canada.
PS. It`s SARCA.
Thanks Bruce. I can't imagine that shipping a 60lbs anchor half-way around the world would be cheap.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #320
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
PeterB,
I've been waiting for you to make that post (309) for days.
I bet...yes...I was tempted earlier, but decided to be patient. I was sure Steve would get to it eventually...and he will, see...