Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Anchor-rope -with chain

My third anchor are a fortress with 30 meters rope. But i need a short chain. How many meters ?
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Guru

RE: Anchor-rope -with chain

Minimum chain for any anchor rode is at least the length of the boat. But remember the longer the better. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Interesting Danforth never recommended a chain on his anchors till the late 60's.Then 5ft or so.

The fortress is a simple copy so the use of chain might be considered optional.

Weather the bottom is mud or coral would be my concern.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

This was lifted from the Fortress Website
"Anchor Rode.
Use a short length of chain and three strand nylon line. The nylon is very elastic and greatly reduces shock loads on your boat and its anchoring system. The chain protects the line against chafe from the sea bed and also help provide horizontal pull on the anchor when it is initially beginning to set. If you regularly anchor in 25 ft (8 m) of water or less, use 6 ft (2 m) of chain. For greater depths, use 6 ft (2 m) for every 25 ft (8 m) of water depth. (ie: use 24 ft (7 m) of chain if you regularly anchor in 100 ft (30 m) of water)."

Norbert, where in Venezuela do you normally keep your boat?

Steve Willett
Monk 36, Gumbo
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #5

Steve my home-base are in Puerto Cabello ( Estado Carabobo )a·m living in Maracay ( Aragua)
Norbert
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Guru

Norbert, on line recommendations aside I would advise at least the length of the boat an absolute minimum for chain. The anchoring system is too important to skimp or take chances. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #7

Around the TexasGulfCoast I normally anchor in less than 25 feet of water and went with the 6 foot recommendation for my FX55. If we did not have such a nasty muddy bottom I would have more, possibly even an all chain rode.
troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

All chain is stupid. What good is the boat half of an all chain rode doing ?.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #9

Why is it stupid? For one chain doesnt mold, rot or chafe.
Another reason would be for a remote windlass, the chain falls into an anchor locker better than line. I am sure chain has draw backs like weight and cost but it defiantly has a few advantages.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #10

I·m talk about my third anchor . My first anchor had 70 meters chain but the second or third we used when the wind is changing not for the mainline. I must used this anchor with my dinghy- but i think not with 15 meters chain.

Norbert
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

All chain is stupid. What good is the boat half of an all chain rode doing ?.

I'd have thought you had more experience than to ask a question like that.* First of all, what do mean by "boat half?"* The chain that's still in the locker?* It's doing exactly what the "boat half" of nylon rode is doing in the locker--- waiting to be deployed if necessary.* Only as Troy pointed out, it's not deteriorating if its wet, it feeds smoothly in and out of the locker*(with the appropriately positioned windlass), and so on.**Now if*you have a planing boat that's a lot of weight to have up front so all-chain may not be the right answer for this type of boat.* But we're talking (I assume) about trawlers here.

And when you deploy more chain out of the locker, what do*you get?* A hell of a lot more weight in the water*to help*reduce the angle of pull on the anchor, to say nothing of simply having more weight on the bottom to help hold the boat in place.* If you deploy more nylon, you get more shock absorbing (which problaby isn't the problem you're trying to solve if your anchor is dragging), but you don't get much in the way of added weight to reduce the angle of pull, which is one of the main elements in keeping your anchor in place.* So you probably have to let out a LOT more nylon to help the anchor stay set than you do chain,which, if you have limited swinging room is a factor that has to be considered.

All chain has advantages, nylon/chain has its advantages.* They both have disadvantages which have to be considered--- type of boat, type of bottoms, the nature of the anchoring situations, etc.* But to say one or the other is stupid is...... well, stupid
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"And when you deploy more chain out of the locker, what do you get?"

Lots more scrubbing to clean the muck off the chain.

Instead of departure being a 5 min task, its break out the deck wash and spread mud all over.

Scrub, Rinse ,Scrub, Rinse , then scrub the deck as a Bonus Job!

UGH , the stench that is imported below , dead stuff at low tide, is hardly worth a better catinary.

Usually the right sized anchor with a few ft. (on deck carried) chain will do better at anchoring EXCEPT in coral.

FF
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Marin,
*** There are advantages to*30 to 40 feet of chain but any more and the advantages*aren't even close to the disadvantages of packin all that weight on the boat. Fifteen to 20' of*chain will greatly enhance the performance of most anchors in most anchoring situations by lowering the angle of pull on the anchor. What I*was refering to*in my post was the half of the anchor rode that is*attached to*the boat rather than the half that is attached to the*anchor. The only advantage worth talking about of the boat half is that the skipper of such a boat can claim (rightfully so) that his boat is heavy duty. If I had your boat Marin I'd have 30' of 3/8" chain, your present anchor and 300' of nylon Brait line. And Marin if your boat burned 1gph I'd love to have it. With two 55hp Yanmars and under loaded a bit one could get 2gph*** .. and a ton less weight.

*** Eric Henning*
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:

Usually the right sized anchor with a few ft. (on deck carried) chain will do better at anchoring EXCEPT in coral.

Maybe where you boat.* But not where I boat.* Out here the vast majority of boaters, including the very experienced ones, use all-chain.* The only nylon-chain I ever see is on sailboats and powerboats under 30 feet, and this is because they are either concerned about weight or they don't have the windlass necessary for all chain.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

There are advantages to*30 to 40 feet of chain but any more and the advantages*aren't even close to the disadvantages of packin all that weight on the boat..... What I*was refering to*in my post was the half of the anchor rode that is*attached to*the boat rather than the half that is attached to the*anchor.
On the few occasions we've taken the all-chain rode off our boat to install a new windlass or do other work in the chain locker, the difference in the boat's trim and the waterline at the bow was so negligible it was virtually unnoticeable.* But this is a 27,000 pound boat.* A few hundred pounds in the bow makes virtually no difference to it.* In fact the more weight you put in a trawler the better it rides

When you say the half of the rode that is attached to the boat vs the half that is attached to the anchor it demonstrates to me that perhaps you don't understand that the ENTIRE rode that is deployed is playing a role in how well your boat stays put, not just the few feet of chain near the anchor.* And this is the advantage of all-chain, because that heavy "half" attached to the boat plays a major role in how well the anchor sets and stays set.* I've boated on a couple of occasions with friends who have combination rodes.* A couple are sailboaters, one is a powerboater.* And when the wind comes up some, their rode--- out at least to a 7 to 1 ratio--- is more or less straight out.* Which means it's starting to lift that few feet of chain attached to the anchor and raising the angle of pull.* At the same time in the same place in the same wind, our all-chain is angled slightly forward, with a 5 to 1 scope.* Which means all that weight you complain about is doing a geat job of keeping the pull on the anchor low.

If you have a light-weight boat or a planing boat or a boat that's very sensitive to trim (like many sailboats), the weight of all-chain is a definite consideration and in those cases going with a combination rode makes more sense.* But if one's boat can carry it--- which most true (aka heavy) trawlers over 30 feet or so should be able to do--- all-chain should pose no trim issues at all.* I'm talking about a couple hundred feet of chain.* Sure, 500 feet of all-chsin on a 36' boat is going to be overweight and overkill.* We have a 200' combination rode for our stern anchor that can be shackled to our main all-chain rode if we need a lot of rode out, although we haven't had to do this yet.

As to FF's comment about how slow all-chain is to retrieve, that totally depends on the windlass.* Our original windlass was so slow you could probably make new chain as fast as it brought in the old chain.* It finally broke and we put a new Lofrans Tigres on our boat the other year.* This thing brings the chain in so fast it's a bit scary.* And it's a LOT faster than it takes our friends with the combination rodes to get their anchors up, plus we don't have to mess with winding rode around capstan drums or feeding uncooperative line down into the anchor locker.* While researching the type of windlass we wanted to get I read a comment from a charter schooner skipper in the Carribbean* who said thta in addtion to using their Tigres to handle the anchor, they use it to hoist their headsails because it's so fast.* So all-chain or combination is not what determines how fast it comes up, the windlass (or lack of one) does.

We have a very powerful washdown system thanks to a previous owner so the chain goes into the locker clean.* Never had to scrub it with anything, the mud comes right off in the blast of water.* I've noticed that mud and muck come off a chain a lot faster and easier than it comes off of-- and out of-- a nylon rode.* We have friends with stinky anchor lockers--- in all cases it's with a combination rode.

So based on our ten year's experience with all-chain rode, the advice of very experienced acquaintances who've used both combination and all-chain over the years, and what I've observed of people using combination rodes, I would never use a combination rode on our particular type of boat.* But for us weight is not a penalty, and the sometimes tight anchorages we frequent make it more convenient to use a 5 to 1 scope instead of the longer scope needed with a combination rode.

But that's not to say that all-chain is the best answer for someone else's boat.* Like everything to do with anchoring, it comes down to boat type, bottom type, the type of weather one has to deal with, and a kabillion other variables, all of which have to be taken into account.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

With two 55hp Yanmars and under loaded a bit one could get 2gph*** .. and a ton less weight.
Why in God's name would anyone want a pair of little piss-ant 55 hp motors in a boat?* The whole idea behind a "power" boat is power.* That's why they're called that.* Where's the fun in taking a power boat out when all that's attached to the throttles are little play-toy engines?* Our FL120s aren't all that powerful but at least they're BIG.* They look and sound like engines, not like what's on my lawn mower.* I'd be embarrassed to run around in a 36' boat with engines that I could carry in a bucket.

My ideal boat would be 46 feet long with three V-12s in it.* Forty-six feet because that's the size limit of what can be moored to a Washington State park buoy and is as large a boat as I'd want to mainain and operate with two people.* V-12s because..... well, because they're V-12s.** And three of them because that's the most you could fit into a 46 foot boat and have enough room left over to sleep and eat and stuff.

My philosophy with boats is the same as my philosophy with floatplanes--- there's no such thing as too much power.* I like engines.* The bigger and more powerful the better.* If I cared about fuel efficiency I wouldn't be running around in a boat, period.* Given all the other costs associated with boating, fuel will have to get WAY more expensive before its cost becomes a significant enough factor to do something about.

So you can keep all these re-powering schemes using limp-wristed little power plants that sound like a sparrow farting.* Sure, you'll burn hardly any fuel but I can't think of a more boring, uninteresting boat to operate.* Might as well buy a sailboat.* At least then you can get a charge out of working the wind to get five or six knots out of the thing (I used to crew on a racing sailboat so I wil readily acknowledge how exciting a sailboat can be under sail.)

But on my own boat, I want major sh*t going on under the floor.* I want to have to wear ear protection when I do an engine room check.* I keep bees because I like the idea of thousands of critters all working their butts off for me.* I feel the same way about pistons.* The more the merrier.

We bought the slow-ish, low-ish powered boat we did because it was the size we wanted, had the accomodations and layout we wanted, was well-built, and fit our boat purchase budget at the time.** But I don't regard it as ideal by any means.* I would have preferred a lot more power.* Vee engines take up too much space in a boat of this size, but a pair of straight-eights of maybe 400 hp each would have been perfect.* Unfortunately, American Marine wasn't putting anything like that in their boats in the 1970s.* But I can dream.....

Fifty-five horsepower..... Get real!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"I've boated on a couple of occasions with friends who have combination rodes.* A couple are sailboaters, one is a powerboater.* And when the wind comes up some, their rode--- out at least to a 7 to 1 ratio--- is more or less straight out.* Which means it's starting to lift that few feet of chain attached to the anchor and raising the angle of pull.* At the same time in the same place in the same wind, our all-chain is angled slightly forward, with a 5 to 1 scope."

The angle of the anchor rode is meaningless , the angle of the anchor SHANK is half the key, the other half of the puzzle is SHOCK LOADING , not constant pull.

When it starts to blow there is ZERO stretch in chain , sure its not light to lift off the bottom , but it is metal that doesn't stretch much.

So the shock loading can get really high after the chain is bar tight.

Nylon has great shock absorbing ability , as long as it was selected properly.

Too thin and 100% if the stretch may be loaded , making it as poor as cable or chain..

Too thick and the loads will be too low to get the line to stretch 10%-15% that eases the loads when the gusts blow the bow sideways.

The "ideal" is 1/2 Chain 1/2 rope , but that usually requires far heavier chain than normally found in cruisers.

On our boat most folks would use 3/8 chain . which in most grades BBB? Hi Test ? is pretty weak.

WE* prefer 5 ft of 7/16* or 1/2 in Hi Test and all nylon, the heavier chain* better matches the strength of the 5/8 or 3/4 nylon , the choices.

5ft does lays on deck and works thru the chain stopper .

Our Hyd windlass will only accept wimpy 3/8 chain* which is used in the Bahamas , mostly protected anchorages

"Different ships , different long splices"

But we don't get out of bed in just a thunderstorm.

FF
Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #18

Marian
V12's would be great, have you ever seen a detroit 16v142? talk about a set of twin engines!
What is your cruising speed and fuel burn now?*
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
Guru

I am carrying 240 feet of 3/8" chain. Everytime I think of cutting it down and saving some weight, I think about the 3:1 ratio I use and change my mind. There will come a time when rust will win and I will have to replace the chain. The 240 feet of chain fills the locker. How much more room would I need to replace the chain with a nylon rode requireing a 7:1 ratio?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:
The angle of the anchor rode is meaningless
Not really, because it indicates the direction of pull on the components still on the bottom.* Yes, the angle of the anchor is what's important to the anchor's ability to hold, but if there is a force starting to lift the anchor shank, depending on the nature of the bottom and the strength of the pulling force, it could start to trip out the anchor.

If one boats in an area where the winds get strong enough to take all the catanary out of an all-chain rode, then an all-chain rode is not the right sort of rode to be using.* In this area, under most conditions most boaters up here experience, we never get weather conditions nearly that bad, or if we're going to there are plenty of protected places to get to in a relatively short time.* Of much more concern is the limited room in many anchorages either by geography or number of boats.* So being able to use a shorter scope is a big advantage much of the time.