Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #221
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
...Anchoring here is a joy. I have two paid crew members who take pride in their job and the only way they have ever hauled an anchor is by hand. They don't break down and are very affordable. My boat in Alaska has all chain rode and a windless and just setting and retrieving one anchor is not any easier then doing two anchors here in the Philippines by hand...
The reduced rode to recover by virtue of reduced depth must help but the load on the backs of workers effecting manual anchor recovery would worry me. I`m familiar with Philippines labor conditions.
Peter, a Ronstan ss 3/8" long dee has an "ultimate strength" rating of 5579kg, 1/2 inch is 8618kg.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #222
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
In response to Peter B
First off I can't afford the expense of chain, windless and more batteries to power it plus heavy gauge wire to the front of my boat. I can barely afford the two boats I have now.

Anchoring here is a joy. I have two paid crew members who take pride in their job and the only way they have ever hauled an anchor is by hand. They don't break down and are very affordable.
Ok, now I understand. If it works for you, for sure, keep doin' what you're doin'. I was just thinking it sounded like it made anchoring out just too hard. But with the hired help doing the hard yakka, then fine…gives then work I guess. However, as an aside, so to speak, wouldn't the cost of the hired help over time roughly equal the cost of the heavier gear one could deploy & recover on your own..? I was also thinking of the convenience issue of crew not being available every time when you needed them..? I suppose it's the old 'horses for courses' thing, eh..?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #223
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Peter, a Ronstan ss 3/8" long dee has an "ultimate strength" rating of 5579kg, 1/2 inch is 8618kg.
Thanks Bruce. Mine is the ˝ inch…should be strong enough for the job, don't you think..?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #224
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Thanks Bruce. Mine is the ˝ inch…should be strong enough for the job, don't you think..?
It should. I could not get the long dee 1/2" over the 20mm shank of my Sarca, so I`m leaving the normal 1/2" shackle and will try replacing the swivel with a 3/8 long dee, I`ll see if that works. The 15mm $105 Ronstan shackle I did not buy has 13 ton capacity! Some shackle!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #225
Guru

If you look at the picture you can see why 98% of the time the chain anchor and rode I use and most of the many hundreds of boats within 50 miles of mine is over kill. Under the conditions of common anchorage a clothing line tied to a small anchor with a bowline would suffice. My feeling is where you anchor is 80% of the equation the next 15% is how you do it leaving 5% for what anchor or rode. If you choose to anchor out in the open with big waves or under high wind and storm conditions well then arguments about what works best have some merit. Otherwise almost everything works if you use it well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0316.jpg  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #226
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Today I recieved my barrel of 5/16 3B chain. A barrel is 550 feet and about 645lbs. Squaring up the windlass then I am going to measure and mark the chain. My bow rides high in the water, so this amount of chain should not affect the boat. Oh and made in the great USA!
Attached Thumbnails
100_3194.jpg   100_3193.jpg   100_3192.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #227
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
A few more
Attached Thumbnails
100_3191.jpg   100_3195.jpg   100_3198.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote