View Poll Results: What type of rode do you ues.
All chain. 100 57.47%
Combination rode with less than one boat length of chain. 22 12.64%
Combination rode with more than one boat length of chain but less than 100'. 20 11.49%
Combination rode with more than 100' of chain. 32 18.39%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #101

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Eric,

Here is a 27 foot, trailer-able, daggerboard Motor Sailor that I penciled a while back (has not been built).

It features 300 feet of all chain rode. Chain is directed into the mast column and stored low. The chain is an important part of this vessel's ballast.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Steve

Old 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #102
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
Brilliant!
I like the concept of making use of weight you feel must be aboard. "Mast Column" ... That's a new one on me. I like the fish form lines and it looks to be very seaworthy. I'm also very intregued by the rudder. Not much vertical space for the engine. Thinking an 18hp horizontal cyl engine?

This should be on interesting boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #103

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Engine is a Yanmar 3YM30. I know, I know, this is about double the power that is needed. But.......

READ MY LIPS. No twin cylinder diesels in an aluminum boat!

Been there. Done that. And I wont do it again. Waaaay to much vibration.

That particular Yanmar happened to be the shortest marine diesel that I could find.

Steve

Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #104
Guru

Yes a wood boat is best for smoothness and low noise.
This boat looks a lot like one I'm thinking about in the fwd end.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #105
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If that was based on trying 3-strand... you might find that brait would only take up about the same amount of space as chain (or not much more).
That's a good plan in theory Chris and indeed I did try it. A friend loaned me some 8mm 12-strand braid saying it was better than chain and more would fit into my locker. Alas that was not true.

Seaweed's anchor locker is RIGHT on her nose, above the water tank. I'm "stuck" with chain -- not that I don't prefer it. I do.

On our 40'er we didn't have much chain but what we had was right heavy. A big Danforth on the bow replaced later by one of the "new" plows (a CQR?) but for Seaweed I need a fast hold to the bottom.

I've spent years (literally!) at anchor and want something I don't have to worry about. For me, that means chain. Still, mine's due for either regalvanizing and/or replacement with a longer bit. 150' will fit so that's what I want. But not this year.

This year is the engine and then start saving for the smallest least expensive autopilot that can steer a compass course for my 7,000 pound boat. When I see $2,000 for such I thing I have to believe there will be someone upgrading that will have the components I need for lots less. At present though I don't know enough to make any decisions. That's my next learning curve to climb.

The longest I've been without touching a dock in Seaweed (not dinghy of course) was 55 weeks. If boats come close and "cut the corner" between me and my anchor I know I'm still going to be secure. All that time at anchor I can say without a doubt that my all chain system works, and works well. Still in deeper anchorages I'll want 150' so I'll have a safety margin.

Because Seaweed is light I make sure I'm anchored out of the way from you big guys. The law of tonnage says I need to have my Seaweed away from the bunch. I don't drift the way you big guys do and turn differently too.

As an example, this was taken during Tropical Storm Beryl on the east coast. Please note the directions of all the boats. All of us had out a single anchor.

#1 is a catamaran facing north
#2 Seaweed facing south
#3 - 40' steel sailboat facing west
#4 - another 40' steel sailboat facing west

As you can see we were all laying in different directions. It was an interesting night. Article about same here: Janice142 article (Tropical Storm) Beryl Lessons
Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #106
Guru

The question on rode bias weight has been solved by member Paul Swanson. See his post on "Anchor Rode Weight Bias" Pg2 post #34.

Yes Janice it's hard to believe.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 AM   #107
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Your right Wifey,
But I like to kick things around that have possibilities of being a better way of doing things. Picked that up in college instead of good grades. But as you say ... not much has been learned. I fail to consider the huge numbers of people on the forum that never post. But many here will remember the idea and act on it later.

Marin I definitely do think that having an anchor that weighs as much as 95% of your chain and nylon line would hold the boat better. Then you could go back to a Bruce .. can a 300lb Bruce be found?

waddenkruiser,
Think you could come up with the ideal location of weight on a rode mathematically? Without much trouble of course.

Brit,
I think it's clear a heavier anchor all other things being equal is better.
Eric, all the research on this has ben done, and largely you are right. That's why the Anchor Buddy instructions advise running the kellet down the rode until it is about a metre above the bottom. Largely guessed, as you cannot see it, but doesn't really matter, as not that critical - just needs to be near the anchor, as you say.

The heavier anchor is better argument has a limitation which you yourself have advised us you suffer from - it's the hernia factor. That is, impractical. And so, (and you're gonna hate me for this), that is why the all chain rode - or a substantial length of chain on a combined rode - is the best compromise, because the weight in the chain, which you by and large never have to lift all at once, but the forces of nature plucking at your boat do, and thus allows for the lighter anchor to still work well.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 AM   #108
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
This year is the engine and then start saving for the smallest least expensive autopilot that can steer a compass course for my 7,000 pound boat. When I see $2,000 for such I thing I have to believe there will be someone upgrading that will have the components I need for lots less. At present though I don't know enough to make any decisions. That's my next learning curve to climb.
Janice, did you see this link in that post of FlyWright, Al's..?

Navico Wheel Boat Auto Pilot WP5000 Plus Accessories | eBay

The ad says worldwide shipping offered...so even tho here in Oz..?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #109
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
That's a good plan in theory Chris and indeed I did try it. A friend loaned me some 8mm 12-strand braid saying it was better than chain and more would fit into my locker. Alas that was not true.

Seaweed's anchor locker is RIGHT on her nose, above the water tank. I'm "stuck" with chain -- not that I don't prefer it. I do.

Not to worry, I didn't mean it as a recommendation, just a thought if you hadn't tried it and for some reason wanted to add length to your existing rode.

If the weight rides OK, think I'd prefer all-chain for your kind of purpose, too. Nice that you probably don't have to deal with mud as much down there as we have here.

-Chris
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #110
Guru

Peter,
Yup .. the hernia factor got me. Actually it was pellet sacks.
The ideal rode as seen through my eyes is 75% line, 25% chain and 3' of cable. But 100% chain is just a waste. It is convenient though and many to most use it for that reason. Or perhaps to be a member of the big boy club.

As to boat type it does vary quite a lot. On a 50 ton + boat chain makes sense. Line may not be practical on larger craft. I wonder how large the combination gypsy gets? That would definitely be a cutoff point for non reel winches. But beyond 25% (approx) chain is just a waste. Al (FlyWright(and others)) has shown us that the splice works well .. at least in SF Bay mud. A long time ago I considered the splice but could'nt buck up and trust it. My intuition told me it would come unraveled but most likely I was wrong. Just didn't look secure to me. But now the door is wide open. But I'd need $1500 (at least) and another equipment install to pull it off. But I probably should'nt be lifting even my little anchors any more. However by last hernia doctor (a pretty lady) said "I send my patients back to hard labor in" and I can't remember how many weeks but it didn't seem like many. But I may have a 5th hernia .. a bit of pain where it shouln't be. No my anchor pulling days are over.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #111
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
"Yup .. the hernia factor got me. Actually it was pellet sacks.
The ideal rode as seen through my eyes is 75% line, 25% chain and 3' of cable. But 100% chain is just a waste. It is convenient though and many to most use it for that reason. Or perhaps to be a member of the big boy club."

Eric,
I had to laugh at what you wrote above and your comment earlier that people would vote all chain because the majority did. These two statements to me are very juvenile. I think most here are not that affected by pier pressure. I have very specific reasons why all chain is best for where we anchor. I am sure the vast majority of others have their own reasons, and some have shared them.

You say "The ideal rode as seen through my eyes is 75% line, 25% chain and 3' of cable." That may be "ideal" for you and how and where you anchor, but there is no "ideal" rode that suits all boats and all anchorages.

Why does the fact that people use all chain bother you so much? Do you have stock in line companies?

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #112

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

waddenkruiser,
Think you could come up with the ideal location of weight on a rode mathematically? Without much trouble of course.
Homework done, please refer to the other anchor thread where Paul had already posted the math-answer ...
Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #113

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
Both Primary and secondary anchors have 330 feet of 1/2 inch chain with 150 feet of 3/4 inch Nylon spliced to that. Have never had to have the nylon in the water yet....... Fingers crossed.

Chris D Liberty Australia
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #114
Guru

READYTOGO,
My being called Juvenile is a new experience for me. I'm trying to express my opinions w/o being combative but it looks like you have a axe to grind. As long as it's fun or informative I'm in. Notice I haven't said using all chain is stupid.
But the weight of the upper half of most all chain rodes on pleasure boats serves no purpose .. it's been shown as a credible fact now. But it's not a very big issue and on most boats if I had all chain I'd probably leave it till it was convenient to change. I know most think I've called them stupid for using all chain ...... NOT SO AT ALL. I'm not looking down my nose at anybody but to have all chain pushed at me like religion promps me to point out that at least for catenary reasons it's not the best route to anchoring performance.
Cheers ...

Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #115
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny who perceives who is pushing and who is the first to start slinging labels.

As has been said...BFD, do what you want whatever it is.....all we can do is complain when someone drifts down on us from weak anchoring tackle or technique...till then there are a few truths in anchoring...but that doesn't make them absolutes for enjoyable cruising for everyone.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #116
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Remember fellow boaters, this post is just a "Poll". And opinions are worth what you get paid for them.
Get a cool one out of the fridge and start thinking about travels come spring.
See you all on the water.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #117
FF
Guru

With such a small load a tiller mounted AP will do just fine , $300-$400or so.

With one that has a remote input (more bucks) you could consider forgoing an built in internal steering setup.

Steering 100% with the AP is no problem , and you would only have to use the tiller when docking.

A hand held "jog switch" that just powers the steering cylinder might allow even docking with out being at the tiller,with just one set of engine controls.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #118

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
This has been an interesting read this morning.
I am in the process of replacing the Anchor rode on our 40' Mariner Europa.
We currently have 15' chain and 200' nylon that came on the boat when we bought her. So far, in SW Florida, it has been just fine. I actually like being able to secure the rode to my Samson Post without having to rig up a snubber or bridle.
On our previous boat, IP-37, we had 200' of chain that worked very well and we always felt safe and secure.
Now I'm trying to decide which way I want to go...
I notice most of the 'All chain' boaters are on the West coast or Northeast, so I suspect that does play an important part in selection.
We cruise mostly in Florida with a possible trip around the Great Loop.
Decisions, decisions....

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40
Marathon, FL
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #119
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Once you get used to it, a bridle or snubbed only takes seconds to rig.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #120

City: Toronto
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
All 3/8" - G4

Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote