Anchor over the bow roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, back on track. It seems to me that while there is a moment when there is a greater amount of leverage working against the windlass at the instant the shaft meets the roller, the anchor is dangling, I can move it with my pinky. Then of course has it continues coming in, gravity has more leverage to elevate the end of the shank but the the angle of the anchor shaft moving to 90 degrees means the leverage is now with the windlass. So we just have to measure those changing forces at each position to know what is happening with our setup.....or.....if the anchor always comes in, "don't worry, be happy"

View attachment 76049

Okay, thanks. One more time. I thought I followed the directions the first time for the TF process for attachments but obviously I made a mistake. Hopefully will go through this time.

Sorry.
Steve

Now you're talking, Steve. Actually, that arrangement is very like what I achieved here, by putting a hinged stainless extension roller system inside the existing bronze one. By luck it sleeved in nicely. I painted the bronze parts where they touch with something designed to prevent galvanic corrosion. It works well.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 166
Two Days ago, at the Cortes Bank, a long way from home. They got it back after some wrangling.

Attachments

• 5537F4FA-FD50-4D57-9CE7-207FBB270073.jpg
    5537F4FA-FD50-4D57-9CE7-207FBB270073.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 166
Fletch, what are we looking at here? I can't quite make out the mangle mess of galvanized and stainless. Is that a broken anchor roller hanging on the stem?

Last edited:
Now you're talking, Steve. Actually, that arrangement is very like what I achieved here, by putting a hinged stainless extension roller system inside the existing bronze one. By luck it sleeved in nicely. I painted the bronze parts where they touch with something designed to prevent galvanic corrosion. It works well.

Peter, doubt that arrangement would work here, Five-foot steep waves here would likely drive the anchor into the hull. :eek:

Mark,
He shows the anchor in that position only to illustrate the angle as the anchor comes onto the roller. He continues to pull it so the shank sits level which also tips the anchor tip away from the hull.
Shown in his previous set of pics in post # 15. It is not absolutely clear untill examined some what closely that the roller tips back thus tipping the anchor to a horizontal position, I think.

Actually PeterB, a side view posted would clear any ambiguity about the final resting position of the retrieved anchor.

No way Mark. When stowed horizontal there is plenty of clearance fluke tip to hull. Snugged home no weather would cause it to shift as it effectively wraps the fluke/shank U , around the roller. The photo relativity’s are misleading.

This is the self-launching anchor roller I use on my 34 with a Lewmar Claw. It self-launches once the tether is released and retracts smoothly, without windlass strain and right-side up each and every time.

I wove a small line through my chain at 10 ft as a visual "warning track" for the final length of rode.

221440_LRG.jpg

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 112
The tiny rollers depicted in many of the pictures here are responsible for a large part of this problem. With a large diameter roller, the leverage that the vertically hanging anchor can exert is limited.

Back
Top Bottom