Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have 300’ of 5/16s HT in our locker. It is very deep and I don’t have a problem with the chain falling over. In fact, I divided the rope locker in two so I could store my backup rode in the rope locker. Actually I could divide it into 3 sections if I had a reason to do so.
To create a tie off point for the bitter end of rope or chain rode, consider using an stainless eyebolt as one of the thru'bolts for the windlass. Domed nut against windlass above deck, eye on underside of deck in anchor locker.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have 300’ of 5/16s HT in our locker. It is very deep and I don’t have a problem with the chain falling over. In fact, I divided the rope locker in two so I could store my backup rode in the rope locker. Actually I could divide it into 3 sections if I had a reason to do so.

Show off!!!!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #23

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Go to your local safety store and buy a traffic cone (or steal one - did I say that out loud?) and put it in the anchor locker so the chain piles around it. No more mess in there.
Interesting. I may try this.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
Interesting. I may try this.
Please Let me know if it works.......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
To create a tie off point for the bitter end of rope or chain rode, consider using an stainless eyebolt as one of the thru'bolts for the windlass. Domed nut against windlass above deck, eye on underside of deck in anchor locker.

Very clever idea for those that don’t have a purpose built hard point.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #26

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan sea-duction View Post
please let me know if it works.......
wilco!
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #27

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
...the last 50 ft of rope comes in very handy if in an emergency, eg, you have snagged the anchor, and need to leave as soon as possible, so you can let her all out, cut the rope near the gypsy...
Prof, perhaps you already knew this but Peter brings up a good point. if you're thinking of getting rid of all the rope rode, plus securing the bitter end; IMHO its never a good idea to bolt the chain directly to the boat. You want to have a method for "quick release". With an all-chain rode, the easy way to do this is just a few feet of rope rode near the bitter end, secured to the boat so a quick knife cut can get you released.
I see others have made suggestions like the length of 2 x 4; cool idea but again just make sure there's a method of quick release in an emergency; just .02 cents....
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
Prof, perhaps you already knew this but Peter brings up a good point. if you're thinking of getting rid of all the rope rode, plus securing the bitter end; IMHO its never a good idea to bolt the chain directly to the boat. You want to have a method for "quick release". With an all-chain rode, the easy way to do this is just a few feet of rope rode near the bitter end, secured to the boat so a quick knife cut can get you released.
Yes. I finally got around to doing that a few months ago on Kinship. Before the chain was shackled to a glassed in ring near the bottom of the chain locker. Effective, but it would be more difficult to detach if needed. Last summer I finally used some 5/8' three strand and spliced one end to the chain and spliced an eye in the other that is secured to the hard point with the SS shackle that had connected the chain to the ring.

I sized it so that if the road is all the way out, the rope just appears above deck about to go over the windlass. This way if I need to cut it, I don't have to be reaching down into the locker with a knife but can cut it from above deck. It was a simple 30 minute project that didn't cost me anything since I had some 3-strand nylon anyway.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Briney Bug
Vessel Model: Custom 34' sail-assisted trawler, wood, built 2005
As to your rode's unsecured bitter end, bend on a rod of some sort, long enough that it won't slip through the chain pipe. Should the bitter end of the rope attempt to go through the chain pipe, this rod or stick or piece of wood, sitting sideways, will stop at the underside of the chain pipe.
As to installing a bigger chain pipe, we did that. Mark off the current hole, remove the windlass, centering the hole for the larger chain pipe as best as possible use a bimetal hole cutter to make the new hole. Seal any exposed core, install everything. If necessary to get the hole saw to stay in place, fill the old hole first- wood, epoxy, small hole saw inside the larger hole saw, or anything else that will keep the pilot drill from wandering.
We installed a 3" chain pipe where the original 1.5" pipe was located, though we had to set it off center with part of its flange under a ground out portion of the windlass' base.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #30
FF
Guru

The problem with a 2x4 or hunk of rebar on the chain bitter end is in an emergency the vessel may actually be anchored by the chain end.

This would place a load on the chain hole and deck it was never built to take.

Depends on the boat assembler , but one could end up with a missing section of deck, as well as an anchor & chain to replace.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #31

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I have 550 feet of all chain, yet the designer of my yacht decided to give me a shallow chain locker, so like you every 40 feet or so, I have to run down from the bow , down through the salon, down through the galley and climb up on the bed and knock over the pile. ............
I'm guessing the designer of the boat didn't intend it to be used with that much chain. And every boat is a compromise so perhaps a larger chain locker would mean a smaller bow thruster of loss of some other feature.

A friend of mine had a 29' sport cruiser and decided to switch from a chain/rope rode to all chain. The first time he tried to retrieve the anchor the chain piled up as you describe and he had to knock the pile over. His solution - he installed a windshield wiper and arm along with a switch. Whenever the chain started to pile up he would operate the switch and the wiper arm would knock the pile over.

He sold the boat not long after this so I don't know how it worked out over time.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have read about the traffic cone in the anchor locker (post 16) for years, never tried it. Please let us now if it helps.
Same for anyone is using one now or has tried it in the past
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have read about the traffic cone in the anchor locker (post 16) for years, never tried it. Please let us now if it helps.
Same for anyone is using one now or has tried it in the past
Thanks!
I modified my chain drop with 4" schedule 40 PVC, 60 degree elbows and placed an 18" cone in the bottom of the locker. Just finished the project today. looks like it will work. I had added an extra 100 ft of chain and the pile kept falling on itself binding the winch. Time will tell if it works. Wont anchor until May. I will post how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Cone.jpg   Chain over cone.jpg  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #34
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I modified my chain drop with 4" schedule 40 PVC, 60 degree elbows and placed an 18" cone in the bottom of the locker. Just finished the project today. looks like it will work. I had added an extra 100 ft of chain and the pile kept falling on itself binding the winch. Time will tell if it works. Wont anchor until May. I will post how it works.
Looks good!

The only thing I'd worry about is a kink or something getting hung up on your PVC on the way out. Looks like the PVC could break without additional support (that's a big lever arm). Could be a concern if happened in an emergency situation.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Looks good!

The only thing I'd worry about is a kink or something getting hung up on your PVC on the way out. Looks like the PVC could break without additional support (that's a big lever arm). Could be a concern if happened in an emergency situation.
Yes I considered the "what if it breaks scenario. The piece of pipe is on 12" long so its only carrying the weight of about 18" of chain. I did a good job of gluing it all together. I will let you know if she fails.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Prince William Sound has a lot of deep anchorages, 200' isn't nearly enough and 400' is pretty much of a minimum. You will be working hard looking for your next anchorage shallow enough to anchor with only 200' of rode.

The good news is the anchorages are well protected for the most part so you won't need a lot of scope, but there are very few anchorages less than 50-75' deep, and it's common to anchor in 150' of water in many parts of the Sound.

Just giving you a heads up on that! I had 400' of 5/8" on board and decided it wasn't enough, now have 600' (and 45' 5/16" chain) and the 400' as a backup in a locker with the spare anchor. I would say I usually use 300-400' daily.

If you see my little ship in the Sound, give me a holler :-) I am there mid June to Mid August, usually in the West side.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #37
Guru

I made a video at 8X speed of the chain laying in, but I cant figure how to post.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Prince William Sound has a lot of deep anchorages, 200' isn't nearly enough and 400' is pretty much of a minimum. You will be working hard looking for your next anchorage shallow enough to anchor with only 200' of rode.

The good news is the anchorages are well protected for the most part so you won't need a lot of scope, but there are very few anchorages less than 50-75' deep, and it's common to anchor in 150' of water in many parts of the Sound.

Just giving you a heads up on that! I had 400' of 5/8" on board and decided it wasn't enough, now have 600' (and 45' 5/16" chain) and the 400' as a backup in a locker with the spare anchor. I would say I usually use 300-400' daily.

If you see my little ship in the Sound, give me a holler :-) I am there mid June to Mid August, usually in the West side.
Not a problem on the east coast, Great Loop, etc
Old 03-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
My bad, after reading through all of the posts I had thought the OP was making a trip into the Sound this summer, it must have been another commenter making that statement...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I made a video at 8X speed of the chain laying in, but I cant figure how to post.
I find it easiest to post it to YouTube, then post the YT link here.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote