Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Anchor chain piling falling over

The Tigress thread reminded me of his problem, I have had it happen to me a few times per Murphy, when most inconvenient.
I have read of putting a "traffic cone" or some other Pyramid shape in the bottom of the chain locker but haven't tried it I did put in a PVC tube to convey the chain over the center of the pile from the windlass drop point, that helps but I still get the occasional jam.
Has anyone tried the cone approach did it help? other suggestions?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi, this type

may be good, i think

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I feel the traffic cone idea would work well. Likely one of the cheaper solutions. Plus it will not rust. chain weight might want to crush it on the side, so you could fill it with foam and secure the base.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Looks like a nice solution, but also looks like an expensive hunk of stainless. Traffic cone would be a lot cheaper.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Guru

not all have to buy, and the question of the model. simple to make plastic, wood and epoxy +, Fe + zink, maybe buher aisi pipe etc
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi, this type

may be god, i think
?? Grind a more convex contour on the top of this resin seat? Or glue on a SS bowl to the top.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/46716863?...&wl13=&veh=sem

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
?? Grind a more convex contour on the top of this resin seat? Or glue on a SS bowl to the top.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/46716863?...&wl13=&veh=sem

i like this yam yam

and this table foot
boat equipment shops selling flanges table, chair etc, you can easily build, maybe $ 100
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I have nothing. It works fine. Suggest you drop all anchor chain on dock and watch it retrieve and pile up while peering in the anchor locker. Whatever the issue may become apparent. Quite often there is insufficient space for chain to nestle on its own, meaning you have too much chain for available volume or height.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
FF
Guru

Skene's Elements of Yacht Design, Eighth Edition: Francis S. Kinney

This gives the size to build a proper chain locker.

Most libraries can get a copy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
With a mixed rode, the cone is the nylon line underneath, and then as the chain stacks over it sometimes pushes the cone over tangles in the nylon and jams coming back out. That is the only issue I have had with coning.

I have considered a small deflector plate to move the rode back further into the locker, screwed to the deck from below. With 400' of nylon I have no issues, with 600' I sometimes get a cone. 45' of 5/16" HT on top of it...

If the water wasn't so deep here I would have plenty of room in my anchor locker, but often find myself anchoring in 150' to find a level bottom to set the hook. Nothing I can do to change the size of my anchor locker...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Guru

Very simple use less chain and more rode in a combination rig it works for tens of thousands of boats. The all chain point of view has its ups and downs as does the combo and in the bitter end I think its a wash. HOWIS THAT FOR A COUPLE OF MEANINGFUL PUNS?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Guru

I feel the short scope (4:1) sets better with more chain, and the only time I have issues with the cone falling over is when I get into rough weather after anchoring deep. If I wind up anchoring more shallow coning is never an issue.

It happens once or twice a season, and only after transiting open ocean to get where I want to be. If it happened very often I might consider reducing the amount of chain to see if it eliminated the issue.

I really see it as an issue with the nylon underneath, not the chain.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
An inflatable ball will also work. Think basketball. Use a ring to anchor in place. In a p[inch, you could probably use a beach ball.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Because I have 200' of nylon coiled in the bottom of the chain locker, on which the chain falls, the available height from the top of the nylon to the bottom of the ABS pipe through which the chain drops is insufficient for the height of the cone of chain. If I don't knock it down as it is coming in, the cone will build till it blocks the pipe and then piles up in the pipe, until the pile comes out the top of the pipe, and up on deck. If I let it pile up but not to the bottom of the pipe then the first time I cross a big wash, that pile will fall over, preventing easy deployment the next time I anchor.

My solution is to use the windlass handle to knock the piling chain away from directly below the pipe, as it is coming in. I do this by reaching the handle through the 4" deck fitting and coaxing the chain over to wherever I want it to pile up, moving around as it comes in. I have found that I can ignore 50 lengths, so reach in every 50' and redirect the pile, then there is no collapsing of the pile in such a way as to prevent deployment.
I know this would correct itself if I got rid of most of the nylon and used more chain, but for now, I am not going to change anything.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
An inflatable ball will also work. Think basketball. Use a ring to anchor in place. In a p[inch, you could probably use a beach ball. Gordon
A "teardrop" fender might work too. Not as"inexpensive"as a roadside traffic cone but won`t risk traffic misdirection.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Dang y'all... Good ideas aplenty here. I now have a solution to a problem that I didn't know I had. And I am pretty sure I have it.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
...but often find myself anchoring in 150' to find a level bottom to set the hook....
Here it's about 100' to level bottom at the head of most inlets.

In the future we'll be using our boat for longer trips in the winter and want to have a storm anchor, but it would also be useful where estuary drying banks drop steeply into deeper water (where it levels out at 100') so we wouldn't have to mess around with a stern tie with the regular anchor.

What rode length and/or combination do you use?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Here it's about 100' to level bottom at the head of most inlets.

In the future we'll be using our boat for longer trips in the winter and want to have a storm anchor, but it would also be useful where estuary drying banks drop steeply into deeper water (where it levels out at 100') so we wouldn't have to mess around with a stern tie with the regular anchor.

What rode length and/or combination do you use?
I have a 600' 5/8" nylon rode with 45' of 5/16" HT chain as a primary with my 15K ROCNA :-) My secondary is 400' of 5/8" with 25' of 5/16 HT and a 10K ROCNA (never been wet yet) as a secondary.

My capstan is set up with a chainwheel for 5/16" chain, so I made a point of the chain being compatible. The anchor isn't attached to the chain on the secondary, there is a big stainless clip on it so I can use it to tie off on shore and clip the chain back onto itself (quickly) with no concerns about abrasion to the nylon in the rocks on shore.

Can you tell I am trying to get an anchor controversy stirred up?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #19
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for that AKDoug. I was thinking 600' of 8 strand brait (supposedly takes up less space in the anchor locker) and 100' of chain, so it sounds like I'm heading the right direction on this. Still pondering rode/anchor sizes...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
Guru

I would buy brait in a heartbeat if I didn't already have three strand, I think it would eliminate the nylon line coning in the first place. I told a friend if he decided to get a new anchor line to let me know and I would sell him one of mine so that I could switch to brait.

I think you are on the right track, the splice from brait to chain looks like maybe best done by a professional. I can splice the three strand myself and find I refresh the splice once a year in mid summer when the splice starts looking a little loose. Just to be safe!