Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Anchor Ball

The regulations require boats anchored after sunset to display a white "all around light" (an anchor light) and the light must meet certain requirements as to placement and visibility. (Boats anchored in designated anchorages are exempt.)

They also require boats anchored in the daytime to display an "anchor ball" and the ball must also meet certain requirements.

I cannot remember ever seeing an anchored recreational boat displaying an anchor ball and in fact many boats (CCs, bowriders, etc.) have no provision for displaying an anchor ball.

Who here displays an anchor ball as required and who doesn't and why? Who has ever been warned or cited by LEOs for failing to display an anchor ball
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We started using one a few years ago. If for nothing else for liability.
There are enough knuckle heads out there so why not? Outside the US they are pretty common even on some of the smaller vessels. We have one of these and they're less than $20.
Attached Thumbnails
217559[1].jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Is that also a radar reflector and how big is it? Where do you mount it? I have no mast but I suppose I could hang it from the bimini frame.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Is that also a radar reflector and how big is it? Where do you mount it? I have no mast but I suppose I could hang it from the bimini frame.
No, that one is plastic. You have to mount it with 360 degree view just like an anchor light.
I have only ever seen two ..... mine and .......
I was in St'Johns Harbour in Antigua about 20 years ago when a cruise ship lost it's steering and ploughed into several sailboats in the designated anchorage. The only one that was compensated was the one flying a day anchor signal. I have used one ever since.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Saw one displayed on the bow of a one hundred footer last summer at Bishop Bay hotsprings, on BC's north coast.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
never have heard of someone being violated...had one on all my sailboats but haven't gotten around to one for this boat...

boatpoker's story makes sense but is the only one like it I have heard...so probably pretty rare....even anchor lights get enforced pretty rarely and you would think that way more important.

steaming cones are another rarely used but required item for sailboats...have had a few opportunities on this trip to make an issue with sailboats under power/some sail up crowding me..but never enough to make a deal over it....they never seem to be hasseled either.

you can always hang it/mount it to a boat pole in a rod holder near the bow (where it's supposed to be anyhow.)..just get it as high as possible...

360 view is important but even big commercial guys sometimes have it obscured by superstructure. But think abut it...daytime and you can't see an anchor ball because you are directly behind an anchored vessel....you should have already altered course as to not run up the stern and certainly a defensible position for the anchored vessel over "I didn't have one because I didn't know where to mount it"...

Yet...in boatpoker's cruise ship scenario...NUC is a tough one for accidents.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

I had an inflatable one. It disappeared in big blow.

I have the kind shown in the picture above now.

I use it, but not always. I think it is important when near entrances to ports and the like.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Guru

This seems to me to be a "left over" regulation much like the ship's bell. There does not seem to be much value in a small ball hung (usually) near the bow at anchor, especially in a designated anchorage. If the ball is visible then usually so is the anchor chain. It is my understanding (?) that there is also no requirement to display an anchor light when anchored in a designated anchorage, though we do this regardless. Concerning the bell, I have documentation from the USCG stating that there is no longer any need to hang this item. Again, technology has superseded the buggy whip!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I was in St'Johns Harbour in Antigua about 20 years ago when a cruise ship lost it's steering and ploughed into several sailboats in the designated anchorage. The only one that was compensated was the one flying a day anchor signal. I have used one ever since.
I would love to see a cite for that incident.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yet...in boatpoker's cruise ship scenario...NUC is a tough one for accidents.

I suspect the real story is somewhat different. There is a turning basin dredged for cruise ships right next to the designated anchorage. The anchorage itself is quite shallow and if a cruise ship ever grounded there it would be well documented. There is no record to be found of such an event.

It is possible that a few boats anchored outside the designated anchorage and were within the turning basin but even a collision there would have been well documented. Let's see if anyone can substantiate such an event.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
This seems to me to be a "left over" regulation much like the ship's bell. There does not seem to be much value in a small ball hung (usually) near the bow at anchor, especially in a designated anchorage. If the ball is visible then usually so is the anchor chain. It is my understanding (?) that there is also no requirement to display an anchor light when anchored in a designated anchorage, though we do this regardless. Concerning the bell, I have documentation from the USCG stating that there is no longer any need to hang this item. Again, technology has superseded the buggy whip!!
I disagee...there are situations you need to know whether a vessel is underway or not so you can act per the NAVRULES....you can't always see the anchor line in some wind/current situations.

The size of the ball is regulated...following from CFRs (inland rules)
§84.11 Shapes.

(a) Shapes shall be black and of the following sizes:
(1) A ball shall have a diameter of not less than 0.6 meter;
(2) A cone shall have a base diameter of not less than 0.6 meter and a height equal to its diameter;
(3) A diamond shape shall consist of two cones (as defined in paragraph (a)(2) of this section) having a common base.
(b) The vertical distance between shapes shall be at least 1.5 meter.
(c) In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length shapes of lesser dimensions but commensurate with the size of the vessel may be used and the distance apart may be correspondingly reduced.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

Rule 30

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Rule 30

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.
true.... but there's not that many special anchorages compared to the number of places that people anchor....
Old 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Those are the places you have to use the proper signal. No big deal.

Designated anchorages are clearly marked and the rules are equally clear.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Rule 30

You are referring to US Modifications to IRPC valid only in US Waters. Antigua (where I witnessed the cruise ship allisions) is covered under International Regulations For Preventing Collisions at Sea and makes no exception for being in a designated anchorage (unless under 12 metres and aground). This is why only the vessel with the signal was compensated.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Good point. I would still like to see documentation that a cruise ship hit anchored sailboats. The story is missing something.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Good point. I would still like to see documentation that a cruise ship hit anchored sailboats. The story is missing something.
Sorry, there wasn't much on the internet 20 years ago.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler

And yes, I do always display the anchor ball when anchored. It's the rules and were something to go wrong (like that little boat that almost hit me a few weeks ago) well, I'm not at fault.

A friend commented that he'd seen one in Bayou Chico after I left -- the first one he'd seen! I've yet to see a boat display one though I've not been far. What would be REALLY NICE is if all boats would use a real anchor light. Honestly!!!

Frankly, the only boats I see displaying anchor lights are cruisers. The rest either have nothing or those cheap lawn lights.

As for displaying... well, here's where you can help: I took a stainless pipe (3/4") and a flag pole (18") cobbled together. On the pilothouse overhead was an antenna mount (hole through same) so I drilled a hole in the stainless pipe and it's up. However I measured poorly and now when the wind blows more than gale force it wobbles and falls over. Does anyone have a better way to attach the stainless pipe to the antenna mount? That is one hole (3/8" or so) that is fore and aft to the boat. My system isn't right (it works, but could be better)

And it's got to be that high so that it won't block the anchor light at night.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
The anchor light is a Bebi- Owl mounted on top of a non-functioning GPS puck that came with the boat. It looks sort of like a little space ship, just forward of the anchor ball in the picture. (Anchor light in center of boat, anchor ball is port side outbound)

Addendum: I've been visited (not inspected) by FWC (Florida Fish & Wildlife Commissions cops) on three occasions. It's my belief that just the display of an anchor ball indicates a willingness to follow the rules and abide by regulations.

Now before I switched over I was questioned as to why I had Georgia registration numbers on a boat with a Pensacola home port. No warnings, citations or other. Knock teak. The only thing wrong at present is I noticed last night some of the new dinghy numbers did not adhere well. The next time I go to dirt I'll either buy black paint or new numbers. I've got to take care of that for certain though, ASAP.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
Guru

Our anchor ball, Beaufort NC, circa 2002.
Attached Thumbnails
Day anchor signal.jpg  
Closed Thread