Anchor Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can equate this regulation (as far as pleasure boats go anyway) to the requirement that was in place when I got my driver's license that the driver of a car or truck stick his or her arm out the window and signal right or left turns or stop.
Yep...if you have working taillights and blinkers...no need to signal with your hand....BUT if they aren't or riding a bike...you are legally required to use hand signals...so till they come up with another requirement (and the anchor ball has survived recent NAVRULE changes unlike the "fishing basket dayshape")

Fight the concept all you want ....but opinion is not the law, whether enforced or not...plus it just plain rude to other experienced boaters, whether you think so or not....

after thinking some more...it's really funny the concept is being looked at from the wrong point...maybe it's not so much that the rec boater easily sees that other boats are anchored...it's for the commercial guy pushing even a small crane barge in and around a small boats anchored (not a special anchorage) and by seeing the anchor balls early on, he can make wise decisions out further because of his tow possibly restricting his maneuvering/sight picture....

Last edited:
I think we can equate this regulation... to the requirement that was in place when I got my driver's license that the driver of a car or truck stick his or her arm out the window and signal right or left turns or stop.
The only sure conclusion from a driver`s hand signal: The window is down.

Try this hand signal:

img_209680_0_afed7f64a821decb91b0025f67e666ac.jpg

I think I will paint my satellite TV dome black, and leave it at that.

Never observed even one anchor day-shape displayed among scores of boats anchored in San Francisco Bay enjoying Fleet Week.

img_209683_0_df86e9c3506f337e3a8db69897337016.jpg

img_209683_1_ba453f0acca18799b9415b66947fa032.jpg

img_209683_2_14309b560bda2b8c39c61b3f1d0e6855.jpg

img_209683_3_e386cc35bc26aeae71aeab36d5c5419a.jpg

img_209683_4_9b33e15ad781877b743a4c7c550b1ace.jpg

Last edited:
Never observed even one anchor day-shape displayed among scores of boats anchored in San Francisco Bay enjoying Fleet Week.

Whoa ho ho!. Looks like a payday to me. Ramming speed!

Attachments

• better-call-saul-spinoff-series.jpg
    better-call-saul-spinoff-series.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I think I will paint my satellite TV dome black, and leave it at that.

So while underway you will display > I am Anchored < at all times?

The liars for hire are going to love you after a collision!

Last edited by a moderator:
...had one on all my sailboats but haven't gotten around to one for this boat....

The question in my mind is; Above is your first post on the subject but since then, you've been harping on how it's the law and everyone should be following the law.

So - since you state that you don't have an anchor ball for your current boat, does that mean you never anchor in daylight or does it mean that you too are ignoring the law?

My point in starting this thread was not to ask if you're supposed to show an anchor ball, I already knew that. My point was that in my experience, that particular part of the regulations is universally ignored and I wondered if others had the same experience. Apparently they do.

Again, with the exception of sailboats and some trawlers, most recreational boats have no provision for displaying or storing an anchor ball.

I have my boat inspected by the Power Squadron each year and while they check for anchor and running lights,, they never mention an anchor ball. The safety class I took years ago did not mention an anchor ball.

Last edited:
The question in my mind is; Above is your first post on the subject but since then, you've been harping on how it's the law and everyone should be following the law.

So - since you state that you don't have an anchor ball for your current boat, does that mean you never anchor in daylight or does it mean that you too are ignoring the law?

Haven't day anchored on these trips outside of designated anchorages but do have stuff on board to put one up if I need to,,, one of my projects this trip to make a more permanent one.

It's easy enough if I have to.... my 18" round fender with a black garbage bag around it hoisted on a mast spreader would take 2 minutes to assemble and fly.

The law is not universally ignored, as some have posted here...and just 'cause it wasn't mentioned in a Power Squadron course...really now...you really think they actually cover EVERYTHING you need to know? They don't cover everything in a captains licensing course either....

I figured you'd ask sooner or later...people that vigorously defend against something that required by law yet simple and inexpensive to do are usually upset they didn't know it was required even though they have been boating for years....usually someone points it out to them so they start asking the oldtimers is it true????...then they don't like the answer....saw it in many of my classes....

OK...so you now know the reg and still want to know why one should do it when so many do not...simple answer from someone who is on the water all year long as either a pro or a cruiser....to me it's just plain courtesy even more so than regulation as I have posted...for how simple/cheap it is to do it allows other to be better skippers in some instances...that all....

Last edited:
I've known about this regulation for many years. I didn't just find out.

As far as "asking oldtimers", well their observations have been pretty much the same as mine. One in a hundred, one in a thousand are showing an anchor ball.

Remember we're talking about "boats" here, not ships and we're talking about all kinds of boats. Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. There's no way they show an anchor ball when anchored in the daytime.

I've known about this regulation for many years. I didn't just find out.

As far as "asking oldtimers", well their observations have been pretty much the same as mine. One in a hundred, one in a thousand are showing an anchor ball.

Remember we're talking about "boats" here, not ships and we're talking about all kinds of boats. Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. There's no way they show an anchor ball when anchored in the daytime.

Never considered myself or other trawler owners or even most experienced cruisers to be one (1) in anything.... but just a group of boaters who should know and boat better than the rest...right up there with the rest of the people that use the water regularly and not just as activity like strapping on skis for a couple hours a weekend, a couple weekends a year. Most of my serious boating friends don't even come on boating forums but as a rare occasion as they are in a totally different minset than most trawler types/cruisers. I always figured people came here to discuss matters of mutual interest...not sure how many pontoon boaters, jon boaters and bow rider types we have here mostly unless it's their second or temp boat.

Maybe the "old timers" you are hanging around spent much or their sea time in jon boats....:D

Hey don't fly one..it's isn't a huge deal...I gave you my reasons to fly one...and you have posted your reasons not to.

That's what forums are for.....

sooooo......maybe I'll start a separate poll thread and see how many here have a Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. as their primary and long term dream "boat"....:rofl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom