Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #101
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The question in my mind is; Above is your first post on the subject but since then, you've been harping on how it's the law and everyone should be following the law.

So - since you state that you don't have an anchor ball for your current boat, does that mean you never anchor in daylight or does it mean that you too are ignoring the law?
Haven't day anchored on these trips outside of designated anchorages but do have stuff on board to put one up if I need to,,, one of my projects this trip to make a more permanent one.

It's easy enough if I have to.... my 18" round fender with a black garbage bag around it hoisted on a mast spreader would take 2 minutes to assemble and fly.

The law is not universally ignored, as some have posted here...and just 'cause it wasn't mentioned in a Power Squadron course...really now...you really think they actually cover EVERYTHING you need to know? They don't cover everything in a captains licensing course either....

I figured you'd ask sooner or later...people that vigorously defend against something that required by law yet simple and inexpensive to do are usually upset they didn't know it was required even though they have been boating for years....usually someone points it out to them so they start asking the oldtimers is it true????...then they don't like the answer....saw it in many of my classes....

OK...so you now know the reg and still want to know why one should do it when so many do not...simple answer from someone who is on the water all year long as either a pro or a cruiser....to me it's just plain courtesy even more so than regulation as I have posted...for how simple/cheap it is to do it allows other to be better skippers in some instances...that all....

Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #102
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I've known about this regulation for many years. I didn't just find out.

As far as "asking oldtimers", well their observations have been pretty much the same as mine. One in a hundred, one in a thousand are showing an anchor ball.

Remember we're talking about "boats" here, not ships and we're talking about all kinds of boats. Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. There's no way they show an anchor ball when anchored in the daytime.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #103
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I've known about this regulation for many years. I didn't just find out.

As far as "asking oldtimers", well their observations have been pretty much the same as mine. One in a hundred, one in a thousand are showing an anchor ball.

Remember we're talking about "boats" here, not ships and we're talking about all kinds of boats. Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. There's no way they show an anchor ball when anchored in the daytime.
Never considered myself or other trawler owners or even most experienced cruisers to be one (1) in anything.... but just a group of boaters who should know and boat better than the rest...right up there with the rest of the people that use the water regularly and not just as activity like strapping on skis for a couple hours a weekend, a couple weekends a year. Most of my serious boating friends don't even come on boating forums but as a rare occasion as they are in a totally different minset than most trawler types/cruisers. I always figured people came here to discuss matters of mutual interest...not sure how many pontoon boaters, jon boaters and bow rider types we have here mostly unless it's their second or temp boat.

Maybe the "old timers" you are hanging around spent much or their sea time in jon boats....

Hey don't fly one..it's isn't a huge deal...I gave you my reasons to fly one...and you have posted your reasons not to.

That's what forums are for.....

sooooo......maybe I'll start a separate poll thread and see how many here have a Jon boats, bow riders, center consoles, pontoon boats, etc. as their primary and long term dream "boat"....

Closed Thread