Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
But anyway, you're not monitoring their anchor dragging; you see their boat move and are only guessing why.
Well, you'd need to read another newsletter about Community Anchoring to get the full design. But yes, it would be trivial to provide all information about the anchor set like I wrote in my posting a couple above.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Well, you'd need to read another newsletter about Community Anchoring to get the full design. But yes, it would be trivial to provide all information about the anchor set like I wrote in my posting a couple above.
Ok, but what about this part?

Quote:
While your system is innovative, if the boats around me don't agree to share their information with me over your system, then they don't exist to me on your system, do they?
Ted

Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #43
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
It's just a little odd that we're willing to spend $10K ($40K?) on electronics for our trawler and yet don't expect it to work together to solve basic trigonometry to provide one of the most important alarm systems on a boat. Worse than that, most people don't even know the problem exists or why they need to set an anchor alarm at 200' when they only put out 75' of chain with 5:1 scope. Making that sound like it's the accuracy of a "gnat's a$$" shows a total lack of understanding about the potential issue unless you live in the world of giant friggin' gnats. I mean, the Chesapeake has bugs but my experience there has been volume of bugs, not size.
Indeed. And of course the difference between 75" and 200' would be way honkin' bigger than a measly ol' gnat!

But that last 5-10' of accuracy? Even if easily doable... trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
As a sidelight to this discussion, I wonder how many here turn their radar on to calculate and mark other boats and shoreline or points of reference.
Yep, all the time. Not so worried about the other boats -- usually -- but that can be useful sometimes... and distance to shoreline is almost always useful in our circumstances. Usually that means some follow-on calculations (estimations) about distances to charted shallower water in between boat and shoreline, another useful factoid we pay significant attention to.

-Chris
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Ok, but what about this part?
That's where being able to hack into another boat can come in very useful. Don't want to share your data? No problem.

Of course, I'm kidding. Or am I?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
As a sidelight to this discussion, I wonder how many here turn their radar on to calculate and mark other boats and shoreline or points of reference. We have poor ability to judge distances for one thing. And chart plotters only give you a good theory as to where you are. I found the radar handy on a few occasions, even in daylight, and alsways in poor visibility, as it was already on anyway.
Several times I have used a combination of radar, digital charts and eyesight to draw a chart of the various boats around me in an anchorage in advance of a sever storm front hitting after dark. If my anchor lets go, or the mooring ball fails in the dark I feel a chart of the other boats may be useful.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #46
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
As a sidelight to this discussion, I wonder how many here turn their radar on to calculate and mark other boats and shoreline or points of reference. We have poor ability to judge distances for one thing. And chart plotters only give you a good theory as to where you are. I found the radar handy on a few occasions, even in daylight, and alsways in poor visibility, as it was already on anyway.
I do just that a lot.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #47

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
We anchor quite a bit but I have never used an anchor alarm. Headed out for two days on the hook tomorrow, solo, and I won't use an alarm. I get it, a good thing to do. But I feel if I set the hook well, watch it all day and into the evening, things are normally solid. The only time I had issues coming unglued was at the initial drop off when I caught a plastic bag or other things down there and it was apparent the anchor was not holding.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #48
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:

I'm waiting for the real anchor drag alarm system. You will attach a transmitter to your anchor. There will be a receiver hanging off your boat (has to be below the keel). The receiver measures the distances and direction to the transmitter. The receiver takes that information and a GPS position to determine an accurate position of the anchor (transmitter). So instead of monitoring a 200' swing radius of the boat, we keep the anchor in a 25' (to allow for GPS error and anchor reset) radius circle. The transmitter and receiver for underwater use have exited for 20 years already. Someone just needs to build the unit and and the top side box.

Ted
Something similar actually exists, but the approach is a little different. A device is attached to the anchor chain, a few feet up from the shank. Inside the device is an accelerator -- if the chain moves, it knows and sends the equivalent of a sonar signal toward the mother ship. A device on the mothership receives the signal and, based on sensitivity settings, etc., alarms as appropriate.

I had one on my last boat and like it quite a bit. As I recall, the only improvement I wished for was an ability to detect when it lost communication, as might happen if the sending units batteries were drained, or if the signal wasn't directly enough pointed back to the boat (the signal being fairly directional).
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Something similar actually exists, but the approach is a little different. A device is attached to the anchor chain, a few feet up from the shank. Inside the device is an accelerator -- if the chain moves, it knows and sends the equivalent of a sonar signal toward the mother ship. A device on the mothership receives the signal and, based on sensitivity settings, etc., alarms as appropriate.

I had one on my last boat and like it quite a bit. As I recall, the only improvement I wished for was an ability to detect when it lost communication, as might happen if the sending units batteries were drained, or if the signal wasn't directly enough pointed back to the boat (the signal being fairly directional).
Sounds interesting, who makes it? Does it alarm on wind or current reversal?

Ted
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

This was around a while back, its a phone app called Drag Queen. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/drag...489294173?mt=8
I`ve not used it, it has not rated a mention here, maybe it should.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
Fascinating discussion and info, I am doing a great audiobook on the settlement of America by the British in the 1600 to 1700's, wonder how they did it B
Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch View Post
Fascinating discussion and info, I am doing a great audiobook on the settlement of America by the British in the 1600 to 1700's, wonder how they did it B
Probably had someone stand watch 24/7.

Ted
Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #53
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
This was around a while back, its a phone app called Drag Queen. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/drag...489294173?mt=8
I`ve not used it, it has not rated a mention here, maybe it should.
I ain't putting any App with that name on my phone or iPad...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #54
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

I ain't putting any App with that name on my phone or iPad...
Jeffrey ?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Jeffrey ?
Yeah, there's a reaction like that from some people, I guess, who aren't sure about their sexual orientation so they can't stand to see something called DragQueen on their phone. I guess it makes them ask questions every time they see it...

There have been 80,000 downloads of the app. It gets launched a few thousand times every week so someone is getting some utility from it.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #56
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Yeah, there's a reaction like that from some people, I guess, who aren't sure about their sexual orientation so they can't stand to see something called DragQueen on their phone. I guess it makes them ask questions every time they see it...

There have been 80,000 downloads of the app. It gets launched a few thousand times every week so someone is getting some utility from it.

Or we could have young children who use our iPads.

Smart name, but stupid, and not Credo based, at the same time.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

It`s just a pun,not calling for the revival of the Spanish inquisition.
But should you google it around Mardi Gras time? Maybe not.
I heard the phone should be on charge as the app draws substantial current. (Oops, another pun).
Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #58
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I heard the phone should be on charge as the app draws substantial current. (Oops, another pun).
I think people who don't like the name are rather sad. It's funny how most people tell us how much they love the name. They're usually the ones out there really anchoring...

To significantly reduce the battery usage, turn the brightness down all the way (it's still too bright in bed at night) and put the phone into airplane mode. At least for iOS, Apple changed airplane mode a couple of versions ago. It now turns off all radios but leaves on the GPS.

With those settings, a fully charged normal iPhone 6 will run all night with DragQu$$n (the name that must be kept hush).
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #59

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
My two college age children had a field day harassing me when they saw the app on my phone.😄
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #60
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
My two college age children had a field day harassing me when they saw the app on my phone.😄
Exactly. People living a happy life generally have that reaction.

Closed Thread