Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
You can get away with mostly line and some chain in most places. On the northern Mississippi/Alabama/Florida gulf coast, that was all we used. Once I got to the Bahamas though, I realized you really needed all chain. All you have to do is walk barefoot across some coral, to see what it can do to line.

Your only alternative, is to anchor very carefully, with no coral heads anywhere near that your line can foul on.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Rock Island, IL
Thank you all for your comments!! Decided to go all chain this time around. My backup anchor will have the combination chain rode. Thanks for reminding me about the muddy chain. Will have to figure out how to deal with that. Sammy

sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Chain will be needed for the Bahamas because of the coral.

Otherwise a few ft of heavy chain (need not go thru the windlass ) and all line does not need to be scrubbed clean daily before going below.

The stench of stuff dying in the mud left on the chain does not add to the cruise pleasure.
Well put!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You can get away with mostly line and some chain in most places.
Once I got to the Bahamas though, I realized you really needed all chain. All you have to do is walk barefoot across some coral, to see what it can do to line.
Your only alternative, is to anchor very carefully, with no coral heads anywhere near that your line can foul on.
I realize that the OP has already decided to go all-chain, but just to comment on above statement. I still think that if this Bahamas trip were an occasional, or one-time trip, then an alternative would be to anchor with floating line. Get the line OFF the bottom. Likely he'll be anchoring away from the crowds anyway. Polyprop won't rot in the sun in a couple of months. Or use some LuggerLine, which is superior to PP and still floats.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I won't tell you what to do but I'll say what I did.

I have a Lewmar 1000 with 120 ft of 5/16 chain and 240 ft of 5/8 Brait. The good folks at Defender recommended the 5/8 Brait over the 1/2 Brait to get a better bite on the line in the gypsy. I'm glad I did!

For anchoring in 30 ft or less, I essentially have an all chain rode. When I want more, I let out some of the line rode to get the length I need. It works great and the bow handles the load just fine.

My anchor system has been battle tested in real world conditions with regular anchoring for sturgeon fishing and even held my 34 LRC with a 60 Hatt stuck on the bow during a SF Fleet Week allision. I'm sold on its performance and strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulpit.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	91014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty Pulpit 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	91015  
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy999 View Post
Thank you all for your comments!! Decided to go all chain this time around. My backup anchor will have the combination chain rode. Thanks for reminding me about the muddy chain. Will have to figure out how to deal with that. Sammy
Time to invest in a raw water washdown pump and spray wand. Regardless of whether you use rope or chain, there is always chain and an anchor that need to be demudded.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"Thanks for reminding me about the muddy chain. Will have to figure out how to deal with that. "

"Time to invest in a raw water wash down pump and spray wand."

Yes but what setup?

A 1 1/2 or better 2 inch Jabsco belted on the engine or noisemaker makes the pressure and volume to make short work of even sticky mud.

Second choice might be a 120v house well pump (inverter or noisemaker powered).
Either , with a few valves could function as bilge pump or fire pump.

Most boat deck wash pumps are puny and expensive.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #28
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got a freshwater spigot in a bow locker and 100 gallons of wateer on-board. It's ok for light chain washing, but for a few days worth of anchoring on the Chesapeake... I'm starting to want a raw water setup for it.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #29
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've got a freshwater spigot in a bow locker and 100 gallons of wateer on-board. It's ok for light chain washing, but for a few days worth of anchoring on the Chesapeake... I'm starting to want a raw water setup for it.
When we bought it, our boat was also set up with fresh water wash down at the bow. But this is a horrible waste of precious fresh water. A couple of years ago I installed a 6gpm 60 psi pump just for anchor wash down and it's a godsend. In fact, I'll be using it later this morning as we weigh anchor to head home. We are anchored in 60' of water that has a very sticky mud bottom. It takes a lot of water at decent pressure to get all the mud from the chain.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I installed a 7 GPM 60 psi 12 VDC pump and added a pressure wand that works well on mud. Mine was a long run from the engine room to the windlass. Using 1" hose ensured no loss in pressure or volume.

Keep thinking about an inexpensive pressure washer. The water flow is a lot less, but the pressure would be spectacular. Pretty sure it would run off the inveter. Hmmm...

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Keep thinking about an inexpensive pressure washer. The water flow is a lot less, but the pressure would be spectacular. Pretty sure it would run off the inveter. Hmmm...
Sounds like a great idea! keep us posted if you decide to pursue it!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

My washdown pump is plumbed so I can switch it from fresh to raw water. Most of the time I use fresh water as I carry 350 gallons. However, when there are more folks on board for longer periods, I switch to using raw water.

My 12v washdown pump is rather puny and ineffectual however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #33
Guru

Tangentially, I put some Dri-Deck tiles down in my anchor locker. No easy way to take pix, and even enlisted my 11 year old to climb down in there to aid the placement. Good news was full load of chain didn't crush the tiles. At least not enough to prevent being able to wash down the locker and get the crud out.

I think what prevent most folks from pursuing the raw water washdown idea is putting yet another hole through the hull. I know that's my starting issue. Then there's the question of routing the plumbing and how many cabinets would have to be pull apart. I at least already have a spigot in a bow locker, so I'd just have to find where that taps into the freshwater system and change it over. According to the manual it's tee'd off the same feed as the day head.

The manual diagrams also mention a sea water washdown... which I'm not sure was installed in mine... hmmm... bilge inspection now on the to-do list...
Old 07-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My washdown pump is plumbed so I can switch it from fresh to raw water.
Given the risks of water-borne illness I'd likely want one setup to be totally separate. I can live without a washdown should it's pump fail. I'd really want to having anything risky getting back into the freshwater system.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Guru

City: Atlanta
Quote:
Tangentially, I put some Dri-Deck tiles down in my anchor locker.
Very good idea. Did you fix them in any way, or just lies at the bottom of the locker?

That would probably be an even better advantage for a steel boat to prevent rust in the locker - always an ongoing battle for me in the past.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #36
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Given the risks of water-borne illness I'd likely want one setup to be totally separate. I can live without a washdown should it's pump fail. I'd really want to having anything risky getting back into the freshwater system.

Yeah that is something that Iíve thought about, but not worried about. The system was installed for the PO at commissioning I believe. Iíve looked at it and the way it is plumbed and I have a hard time imagining how raw water could back contaminate the fresh water. However, Iím sure it is possible.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Very good idea. Did you fix them in any way, or just lies at the bottom of the locker?

That would probably be an even better advantage for a steel boat to prevent rust in the locker - always an ongoing battle for me in the past.
I just cut them to fit and laid them on the bottom of the locker. The weight of the chain is going to hold them in place quite effectively. I used a pair of fiskar utility scissors to do the cutting. Dri-Deck tiles are pretty rubbery, so you don't need anything else to cut them. A utility knife would work also.

My hope is to allow room for water to dry and allow crud to be washed out the locker drain holes. I try to wash the chain effectively while retrieving it but some crud always makes it past. With the tile down there I can potentially blast a hose onto the chain pile in the locker and not have water/crud get caught behind links of chain.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #38

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Instead of a new thru hull for the wash down pump, I installed a T in the line coming out of the generators strainer. The generators thru hull and strainer are oversized to handle total combined flow.

There is a shut off valve to the wash down pump.

I have a separate fresh water outlet near the bow if I want to use fresh water to wash the anchor, but saltwater is preferred.

I run the complete rode out of the locker in the fall, wash it, repaint the depth markings if needed, reverse the chain and wash the anchor locker before putting the rode back. And service the windlass at the same time.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #39
FF
Guru

Instead of washing the chain by hand on deck , I have seen a watertight anchor locker built in above the WL with l2 inch thru hulls as drains.

The chain was simply fed into the locker as is, and a deck wash pump run for a half hour or so.Got rid of enough mud so the boat did not have the "low tide" aroma.

After setting the anchor, the wash pump would be switched on to clear the locker of any remaining gunk.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #40
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Instead of washing the chain by hand on deck , I have seen a watertight anchor locker built in above the WL with l2 inch thru hulls as drains.

The chain was simply fed into the locker as is, and a deck wash pump run for a half hour or so.Got rid of enough mud so the boat did not have the "low tide" aroma.

After setting the anchor, the wash pump would be switched on to clear the locker of any remaining gunk.
Our last boat was set up like that, but with only a one inch thru-hull, which was the only flaw in the system as shells brought up with the chain were constantly clogging the drain. Other than that it was a great way to wash the chain off.