City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Impressive
I don't know, its just necessary.

I'd love shallower waters.

We often drift fish for rock fish in 600'+ of water. Thats a long way to reel up to check your bait.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #102
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
600' of 5/8 and 45' 5/16"HT. Kevin, are you going to top your nylon with the new chain or switch to all chain? My boat is too small to stow that much chain on the bow. I have another 400' of 5/8" and 25' of 1/4"HT for a stern line, with a big stainless snap hook on the end for a shore line. Keeps the chafe off in the tide zone.

AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #103
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
600' of 5/8 and 45' 5/16"HT. Kevin, are you going to top your nylon with the new chain or switch to all chain? My boat is too small to stow that much chain on the bow. I have another 400' of 5/8" and 25' of 1/4"HT for a stern line, with a big stainless snap hook on the end for a shore line. Keeps the chafe off in the tide zone.
hey Doug

Your boat doesn't happen to still be in Seward is it?

I'm eliminating the line and its a PITA to use with the capstan side of the windlass. Going with all chain.

I can actually use the chain weight forward. With my skiff hanging off the back of the boat deck I'm trimmed too far aft as it is. The chain will help level it out.

If you think about it It's probably about 400 lbs additional I'll be adding to the bow. Thats like two guys standing at the bow, or 70 gallons of water.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #104
Guru

On the hard in Homer, at the Boatyard. It went in this morning for new bottom paint, from the new barrier coat on up with three coats of high copper and a new boot stripe. My front deck is getting all of it's new holes through the core sealed and a windlass platform installed. It is a torn apart disaster area :-) And that is no exaggeration. I tore the dinette out and am completely redesigning the fore and aft seating into an "L" shaped settee, better bed, and going with a new propane oven this year. Did I mention it's all torn apart? I would be worried about it going together, but I have money :-) That helps! Of course I won't have any left when I am done...
Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #105
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's funny Doug. I'd love to tear out my L shaped settee and install a dinette.

FUNNY

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #106
Guru

When I sleep in the bow, it's dark and I sleep too much. The fore and aft dinette was too narrow for two people, one was always in fear of falling off. When I go "L" shaped I drop my seat height from the cabin floor and can run the bed back under the rail to the hull instead of to the cabin wall. If I sleep in the main cabin, the sun comes up much better, I sleep less, and I can reach the controls for the heater from bed :-)

On the thread, if my new LoFrans Vertical windlass doesn't like my 5/8" laid line I will be looking at brait. The laid rode pretty much fills the anchor locker to the limit, brait should lie flatter in the box. Maybe get another 200' in there, sometimes 600' isn't enough, would love to have 800.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 AM   #107
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I will be buying 550ft of 5/16s BBB in a few weeks for my trip in 2016
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #108
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Does anybody on TF use a combination rode on a vessel weighing more than 30 tons?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #109
Guru

That's a good question Tom.
As much as I prefer combination and if I were facing that question I wouldn't consider it practical unless I was ....
1. Very confident in the combination splice.
2. Using a hydraulic reel winch.
Otherwise I'd use all chain w a boat over 12 tons. That despite my long standing opinion that mostly nylon makes a better rode.
Handling a heavy rode w a captain and making the switch to a gypsy .. as I said .. dosn't seem practical.

One far out option may be to use all nylon Brait with a winch designed for line and chain. The chain function of the winch not being used. I could see doing that w an anchor larger than usual. That would be a 40lb anchor for me. Just a thought. But re your question that wouldn't be a combination rode.

edit ... Does anyone market a combination winch suitable for a 30-50 ton boat?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #110

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
The 30 ton boats here usually use a reel with a combination of chain and wire rope.
Old deckhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #111
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Does anybody on TF use a combination rode on a vessel weighing more than 30 tons?

Real tons? Or Coast Guard tons?

Ours is documented at 35, actually about 28K lbs, and we use a combination rode.

-Chris
Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #112
Guru

So if some don't like all chain or mixed rode and chain or all rode the answer is all cable (as I often note on fishing rigs) and exchange the weight of chain to a heavier anchor. I don't buy the centenary argument for all chain because when the wind pipes up it disappears. I also don't buy the easier set with chain because letting out more cable or rode has the same effect and can be shortened after set. The only advantages I see to all chain is ease through a wildcat and abrasion resistance both problems can be solved without all chain. I think the all chain thing grew out of the need of old school none digging anchors they need all the help they can get. Sparks will fly.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #113
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Great story here of an all chain rode failing;

Hurricane Hugo
Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #114
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Great story here of an all chain rode failing;

Hurricane Hugo
I know this guy is a lot more experienced than I am, but being very familiar with the coast of sc including Charleston, he made a critical mistake in where he chose to anchor. Noticed he said he was the only boat. There was a reason he was the only one there. There are so many places he could of taken that sailboat and faired much better. In these times you need to seek local knowledge! I'm glad they were safe. First, he made a decision too late and second, his choice was bad. Hopefully others can learn from him.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #115
Guru

Dilemma: I have 240 feet of rusty 3/8" chain and it fills the anchor locker. I would like to replace the chain with anchor line but I doubt if the chainlocker will hold enough line. The windless will handle both chain and rope.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #116
Guru

Eye,
There are many here that use all chain but nobody that uses all line ... to my knowledge. So the real question is "how much chain?"

And that leads to the question of why use any chain at all?Ninety five percent of the answer to that is weight to insure or increase catenary from the essence of anchoring posts of the past.

And that leads to the question of how much (if any) catenary is needed?

If "lots" is the answer then chain is best for rodes. If "none" is the answer then line is all that's needed. Excluding the special needs of coral and other troublesome bottoms.

Haven't tried all line but I'm always fairly close to that so it appears both all chain and probably all line works. A asked once if there was anybody here using all line and nobody responded. Do you think if I dropped the 6 to 15' of chain and went to all line anchoring would become difficult or dangerous? Chapman recommends a "short length" of chain but I've never heard anybody using all line on a trawler size boat.

Ancora,
Brait is probably the answer to your "stuffing it all in" problem (or potential problem). Are you thinking of an all line rode? Would the swinging radius at anchor be a problem if you do?

Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #117
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Dilemma: I have 240 feet of rusty 3/8" chain and it fills the anchor locker. I would like to replace the chain with anchor line but I doubt if the chainlocker will hold enough line. The windless will handle both chain and rope.
The "braid" line takes up less room than chain and you'll love it! Very flexible, soft on the hands, easier to store (not stiff) strong, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-03-01 at 9.07.46 AM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	37847  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #118
Guru

I would imagine abrasion would be extreme at the thimble and shackle with no chain. I used 1/2 the length of my boat as a guideline, but will be moving to 1 1/2 times the length when my windlass is installed. I do a lot of anchoring on short scope in deep water during calm weather patterns, and I think the weight compensates for lack of scope. Sometimes the middle of the bay with a breeze beats shallow sets with bugs :-)

I think the chain keeps the rode from tangling on the bottom in current and tide changes, getting the rode away from the anchor.

I doubt a chain locker full with chain will take any more rode than chain, brait or not. Chain stacks pretty tight, so it sounds like it's time to chop into something to make the anchor locker larger. I raised my windlass above the deck to increase the "fall" by getting about 10" above the anchor locker with my pedestal and base.

Braid has a core, brait does not. Brait is limp, braid is not any more limp than laid line in my experience, sometimes less so depending on the line.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #119
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post

What's your goal for replacing chain with line? IOW, why?

-Chris
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #120
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Check out the info on Page 9

http://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/anchoring_tech.pdf

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote