All chain rode stopper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the snubber line runs through an eye mounted low on the hull even when in use? No chafe protection?

Yes, the people I've talked too said they haven't had a problem with chafe at the eye, if it does chafe I will set some anti chart into place. I will have chafe protection where the rope contacts the roller though.

Two things. When you replace your windlass buy an above deck horizontal shaft windlass. They last at least three times as long as a vertical shaft windlass just due to the salt water intrusion.
View attachment 37147

I don't agree either.
I just replaced my 33 year old vertical windlass with another vertical windlass. Yes, if you have salt water intrusion there will be problems, - just like any other deck fittings.

The solution is simple. Ensure the windlass is properly bedded, so it doesn't leak.

Oliver, where did you get the stainless bracket that your chain stop is mounted on? We need to raise our chain stop like you did and it would be great to find something like that. Thanks and sorry all for the slight hi jack of the thread.

I don't mean to offend Mariners with verticle shaft windlass..

I guess Hobo has the best/worst...,horizontal retrieval and vertical motor. Are we bi? :)

It's a design, installation and maintenance function. Good design and properly maintained, each one will last equally as long. :thumb:

Attachments

• cut-away2[1].jpg
    cut-away2[1].jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Oliver, where did you get the stainless bracket that your chain stop is mounted on? We need to raise our chain stop like you did and it would be great to find something like that. Thanks and sorry all for the slight hi jack of the thread.

Not sure as it came with the boat from the factory. Possibly Aritex made it.

Rolling Hitch

Hail Bill!

That's what we use on Infinity. We do have all the other methods, the chain hooks, the 'C'-plates, bridles, etc. I have used them all with success, but in my quest for simplicity, I always go back to the 25' piece of 3/4", 3-strand nylon. Rolling hitch goes on chain, other end made fast to the mooring cleat on deck. I find it simple, fast & efficient. The hitch binds tight, tight, the more weight and dynamic loads put on it, the better. The hitch has never come undone (and no real biggy if it ever did), and it's simple to undo once recovered to deck. :dance:

I have not heard of doing this for your snubber. Does it make a difference if you use braided or three strand? Which one do you use? Thanks

I have not heard of doing this for your snubber. Does it make a difference if you use braided or three strand? Which one do you use? Thanks

Three-strand has flex, that's why it's widely used for snubbers.

Rolling hitch

Thanks for the post. Next time out I will give the rolling hitch a go.

We can make that at my Stainless Fab shop. If you want to persue that PM me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

I should take that bet.....he is replacing a Muir Cougar....which I think is horizontal...but can't be 100 percent sure.
Take the bet. Aussie built Muir Cougar and Cheetah are both horizontal. Excellent winches, and they do not come cheap.

... KSANDERS, said he was replacing his chain AND his windlass. 5-1 odds says the windlass he is replacing,is a verticle shaft design. Any takers on that bet?

Am I allowed to bet??? :ermm:

I am replacing a perfectly good Muir Cougar windlass, which is a horizontal model.

The ONLY reason I'm replacing it is because I need increased capacity to reliably break out and lift 325' of chain plus my anchor. This represents 374 lbs of chain plus my 66 lb anchor which Im considering upsizing to the 110 lb model. With a 1200 lb motor stall capacity I am over the generally accepted 3:1 ratio of motor stall to working load capacity.

For the record I could have saved money and hassle if I would have switched to a vertical windlass. I chose not to do that because even though haulling a rope through a capstan isn't much fun I want that capability, and because in my opinion horizontal windlasses look better.

Last edited:
Kevin there's a boat in Craig that has a 500lb anchor.

Your listing of the weights of all the pieces of your rode totals over 500lbs. That reminded me of this 500lb anchor.

I suspect your ultra deep anchoring needs are for fishing .. not anchoring. Have you considered two rodes? Most of us have two but not as "working" rodes. I have a rode longer than yours almost all nylon. Cable could be an option for your deep rode too. Are you sure chain is the only option?

Attachments

• DSCF0759 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0759 copy 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 227
I suspect your ultra deep anchoring needs are for fishing .. not anchoring. Have you considered two rodes? Most of us have two but not as "working" rodes. I have a rode longer than yours almost all nylon. Cable could be an option for your deep rode too. Are you sure chain is the only option?

Eric You are correct, my anchoring is for fishing. One of my favorite spots is a 325' deep hole. I love to anchor there, and the current gets pretty strong.

I have a strong desire to be able to push a button to get the 600' of rode in. I have a capstan now and am going through all this hassle because I do not want to use the capstan any more.

All chain rode is not my only option.

* I could have went for a reel type windlass and carefully considered that option and the manufacturers.

* I could have put in a vertical windlass and used my existing rode.

I could have used a all line fishing rode but I still would have had to use the capstan and I am unsure of what size anchor would hold my boat in a current at over 300' down. I'm suspecting not much lighter than my 66 lb current anchor.

So, yes I believe I have considered all or at least most of the options available. We're beyond that point now anyway. My barrel of chain and new windlass is probably sitting at the Span Alaska facility waiting to get on the barge right now. :)

I really like the reel windlass myself and actually have one but it's too big for my boat. And they often don't hold enough line or chain unless they are very big. And the bigger they are the more the industrial look. That probably keeps most here from using them ..... in addition to their cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom