Advise For Chain Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
These are the pictures of my windlass configuration. The fourth picture is what I am considering using to lock the chain when anchored and to take the strain when I have to "Pull" my anchor loose. Obviously when at anchor I will use a line snubber with this anchor chain lock as a back up. Any thoughts or experience with this device? Thanks. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435269664.507652.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435269678.823425.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435269690.006695.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435269702.140660.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. P. Where the heck would you mount it? Doesn't appear to be any room with the anchor nested...

My opinion is that if you are using a snubber at anchor you do not need the chain lock, for while at anchor.

Also, you do not have room for a chain lock based on photo #1. The use of the chain lock to me would be as a means of avoiding an accidental anchor deployment while under way. Since, it does not look like you have room I'd consider something else.

What about a clevis pin through side of your cradle? Just pin through a link and it should serve the purpose without adding any clutter or holes in the deck?

What about a clevis pin through side of your cradle? Just pin through a link and it should serve the purpose without adding any clutter or holes in the deck?

Many recommend against pins as a big wave can bend them and make it very difficult to deploy the anchor...

But alas...that is my setup and I am not worried. :D

That would work. Drill through the SS channel and pin the chain. We had/have what Pgitug pictured in the first post. It didn't last. When we changed anchors we used the pin and now it secures the anchor while under way.

Attachments

• Chain stopper.jpg
    Chain stopper.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 105
Many recommend against pins as a big wave can bend them and make it very difficult to deploy the anchor...

But alas...that is my setup and I am not worried. :D

Whata bozo......:rofl:

PGI, Your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.:D

The anchor chain is red, as he said, for the first five feet to warn me. Sounds like what I have set up now is what works best. I will forget the chain lock. No more toys on the bow.

Without a chain lock or pin all the pressure from the anchor being moved by an active seaway will be on the windlass gears. This would not be beneficial. Suggest the pin or at least a line passing through the cradle so that when the boat pitches in a seaway the pressure is on the cradle not the windlass gears.

A chain stopper is used to take the load off the windlass while anchored with all chain.

Since the chain can not stretch once it is bar tight the stopper must be able to take the load of the anchored vessel including the shock or surge loading as the boat veers.

It is usually the strongest item on the fore deck (windlass loads are minor in comparison) and will need very secure mounting.

If you could use it to lift the boat , thats perhaps enough.

Where's the cleat on the bow? None seen?? The chain can be made fast to the cleat to get the load off the windlass. If you don't have a cleat, that is what I would invest in. Some day when you need a tow you will appreciate a good deck cleat with proper back up under the deck to pull on. And smooth chocks.

Back
Top Bottom