Advice sought for new windlass on 49ft MT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redhook98

Vessel Name
Tatoosh
Vessel Make
1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
I bought a restored/refitted 1979 Marine trader Pilothouse recently. It has an older Good rope windlass with 1/2 inch of rotting anchor line. No chain, just line. Looking to replace the entire assembly. I anchor in the Potomac and Chesapeake only. In other words, relatively shallow water with muddy/sandy bottom.

Hoping the power lines already in place will suffice, but otherwise I will just stick another booster battery up by the windlass to assist if needed. (My last boat, a 38-ft Carver, just had two 6-volt golf cart batteries in series and it's own charger for the windlass. Easy to install).

Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20190705_141437_resized_1.jpg
    20190705_141437_resized_1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 40
Replace the line with the same size line so the windlass can grab it.

Any short robust chain between the end of the anchor shank and windlass would be fine,if there is room.

That is a tiny windlass for a boat of your size , be sure to belay the anchor line to a cleat , and not ask the windlass gears to take the load.

For most summer use a Danforth 35H should be fine , use the boat to break out the anchor , not the windlass , it just hauls up the anchor after its free.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom