adding a windlass/hoist options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
have anyone added a windlass/hoist to their boat? not talking the anchor type..
i am talking something with lifting capacity of 500lbs, manual or electric.

not for dinghy
a scooter
lobster hoops
other gear

We use a simple bent pipe style of crane aft with mounts both P&S .

The unit is aluminum with a Jeep style 12V winch with about 1200 lbs of ability.

Works well when we carry a 12ft Dyer as sailing toy , the Dyer is too heavy to simply lift aboard as we do with the Grumman sailing/rowing tender.

A fouled anchor can be lead aft to lift the anchor to clear debris , usually discarded steel cabling.

About 3 years ago I had the shop make a pipe crane like FF mentioned for a neighbor out of 3* SS pipe with an electric winch on it.* SS was used instead of aluminum because aluminum tends to bend under weight.* We mouned ion the stern deck drilled a hole through the roof and mounted the foot to the stern deck with a 1X 1 plated bolted through the deck.*

In April I had the shop make a new aluminum mast and boom to replace the old wood mast.* It was built out of 4 thick all aluminum rather than SS because of the upper stays supporting the mast where as the crane had not upper support and the bend/curve is where crane tends to bend.* **We use the mast boom to lift the dink onto the roof and plan to lift scooters on to the roof.*

So what kind and where do you want to install the crane/boom?

Phil Fill wrote:

About 3 years ago I had the shop make a pipe crane like FF mentioned for a neighbor out of 3SS pipe with an electric winch on it.SS was used instead of aluminum because aluminum tends to bend under weight.We mouned ion the stern deck drilled a hole through the roof and mounted the foot to the stern deck with a 1X 1 plated bolted through the deck.

In April I had the shop make a new aluminum mast and boom to replace the old wood mast.It was built out of 4 thick all aluminum rather than SS because of the upper stays supporting the mast where as the crane had not upper support and the bend/curve is where crane tends to bend.We use the mast boom to lift the dink onto the roof and plan to lift scooters on to the roof.

So what kind and where do you want to install the crane/boom?

well this is why i am asking, really i dont know.
FF/PH do you guys have photos of your crane/boom set-up?
the motor winch can easily be purchased online.

i have seen some on the 34' version of my boat, the mast is on the most forward on the transom deck or the aft of the fb deck.
i could mount it on the aft of the fb deck but not sure if it is sturdy enough?
the aft of my fb has a 1 or 2 ft lip so i could drill a hole for the mast to come through and then secure it on the transom deck, but since the transom saloon door is in this area it would probably be best if the mast/boom setup was detachable, i could probably secure it below deck when not in use. the attached photo has a good view of the aft fb and sliding transom doors.
anyone have schematics?

Attachments

• dscf0106.jpg
    dscf0106.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 91
I had the plant design/mfg/install the hoist and mast/boom. *So the best is to draw out what you want, take it to a fabrication/welding shop that does this type of work.* Ask around the yards/marinas for recommended shops as the tube thickness, the plate support, welds, angles and winch are all important.* Both the hoist and mast/boom cost about 2 grand to have made, so its not cheap.* I tend to go to the commercial docks/yards as they have built hoist/booms/rigging before.* ***

A hoist would probable fit/look better than a mast and boom on your boat. By hoist I mean a round tube that is bent about 35 to 40 degrees that can swivel/turn on a base. I used 4 round aluminum thick wall as 500 lbs is a lot of weight when leverage out there. **The hoist or mast/boom cost about 2 grand and not something you will be taking off and on.*

"Do you do anything special to protect it from salt?"

No the rain washes it off every so often.

PF: thanks for the advise, i will try your approach.

Back
Top Bottom