UP-DATE for ''I got a boat !!!''

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogranjac1

Well guys and girls,
A little up-date on "I got a boat ".
After flying to Queensland and buying her in January, returning home to West Australia and organising my life, then packing the Landcruiser with tinnie on the roof and crossing Australia - I finally got to take possession of Nimiane in late March.
I have spent the last 4 weeks learning to drive her in a paradise of smooth protected water at Hervey bay Qld. Making endless mistakes - running up on mudbanks, leaving the sea cock closed after cleaning the strainer, collecting the jetty at fueling docks harder then expected etc etc , i'm sure you all know the story.
But hey - i got a boat !!
a few pics :-
1. some where in the 'outback' on the crossing
2. Nimiane anchored of White Cliffs - Fraser island Queensland
3. same
4. Gary's Anchorage - Great Sandy Straights - sunset -19/April/2015
Hope you are enjoying your boats as I am.
regards Brett

Attachments

• DSC01008 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01008 (Copy).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01051 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01051 (Copy).JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC01053 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01053 (Copy).JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01099 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01099 (Copy).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 201
Awesome mate! Do you tow the tinnie? How are you getting the Landcruiser back to perth?

Congratulations on your new boat!

Ted

Hey....really spiffy! Oh Cardude ....check out that forward bimini!

Congrats Brett, looking forward to reading your reviews. Considering a boat of similar design and layout.

Congratulations, awesome styling. It's how the rest of us learned, trial and error!

reply to Dimer2

hey Dimer2,
I do tow the tinnie !! and I use the Landcruiser to trailer the boat between long or boring stretches of Queensland coast or keep it in storage.

After reading many opinions on towing in T.F I decided to have two (2) tow ropes.:D One connected to the tinnie eyelet where you normally would winch it onto a trailer and the other rope to the handle on the very front top of bow where u put a mooring line.
Both have a kids "floattie" threaded onto the line to keep it out of the prop - hopefully :lol:
regards brett

Attachments

• DSC01089 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01089 (Copy).JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 162
Congrats!!

love the forward bimini!!

Super cool!

Great (and very interesting)looking boat. If you make it out of the Sandy Straits and into Bundy - I'd love have a beer, say g'day and have a look at her in the flesh.

Very nice to meet you last week, Brett. Hope you got your car/trailer storage issues sorted out. Where are you now?

I can faithfully report to TF that Nimiane looks just as unique and pretty in person (albeit on her trailer) as she does in pics.

hey shufti, car and trailer is in Blue water club secure storage,all good.
me and nimiane are swinging on the pick 'LOL love this boatie lingo' just down river from the old defunct cable ferry on the Burnett.

Attachments

• DSC01177 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01177 (Copy).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01178 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01178 (Copy).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 155
Hey Brett,
I was heading north to the Sunshine Coast today and passed what must have been you and your boat heading south about Caboolture.
Don't often see a rig like that going down the hiway.

I was talking to my mate today who was telling me about a strange boat he saw yesterday on the highway on his way from Gympie to Brisbane, he said "it was really strange, it had two bows, two cabins and a propeller on the rear bow" I told him to "google a Finn 8" and he said "yes, thats it"

hey Guys !!!
That was 'Nimiane' you saw !!!! :)...... Cool to be noticed.
I did consider yobo's generous offer of parking but decided that the allure of the rivers in northern N.S.W. was to great.
I put her in the chocolate waters of this amazing great waterway last Sunday at a small town called Woodburn and motored up to Coraki and have completed the round trip to Lismore just as of now.
At the moment she is on the Richmond river at the junction of Richmond and Wilsons river near small town named Coraki - be holed up here for 2 days till this lousy wind subsides, then on downriver to Ballina and return to Woodburn to complete my investigation of the first of three great northern rivers.
The others of the three great Northern rivers I intend to look at,being namely the Clarence and Macleay.

hope u enjoy and recognise some places and shared moments.
regards Brett

Some pics of Richmond/Wilsons river
1.river vegetation near Coraki
2.'Nimiane' at Lismore's only functional jetty/pier viewed from traffic bridge
3. river near Wyrallah
4. almost jungle vegetatation around Lismore
5. upriver of Woodburn
6. my favourite pic of an amazing passage - 'the narrows' Curtis island.
7. 'Nimiane' with her 'ass' in trailer mode - Camilla Beach (south of Sarina)

Attachments

• DSC01654 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01654 (Copy).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01644 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01644 (Copy).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01639 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01639 (Copy).JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC01638 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01638 (Copy).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC01635 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01635 (Copy).JPG
    109 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01584 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01584 (Copy).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01569 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01569 (Copy).jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 112
Great pics, and takes me back to the sheer flexibility we also used to enjoy when we had our trailer yachts and towed then all over the North Island of NZ to many of the lovely crystal clear lakes over there. There are definitely are advantages to being able to get to great waterways either inland, or up and down the coast without traversing long distances of potentially nasty exposed coastline and in a fraction of the time it would take on the boat's own bottom, even if capable of it. I long ago decided I'd rather hire a boat up in the Whitsundays, for example, than take 2 weeks getting up there and back in our own boat, even though with previous owners she has been up there a couple of times.

Peter you may not realize it that the best part of going to the Whits is all the fantastic stops on the way. The Whits themselves are just a bit of icing on the cake and they in comparison are probably a bit over rated and over crowded.
This can all be achieved with just day cruising so lots of drink stops.
Benn

Peter you may not realize it that the best part of going to the Whits is all the fantastic stops on the way. The Whits themselves are just a bit of icing on the cake and they in comparison are probably a bit over rated and over crowded.
This can all be achieved with just day cruising so lots of drink stops.
Benn

I don't doubt that Benn, but two problems for us.

1. Just the trip up would use up my entire holiday, as I am not retired yet.

2. The 2iC won't have it on in any case. I'm afraid her love of the sea is several scales below mine, and I suspect that is so for many on here. Very occasionally it is the other way round, but that is rare...rare as hen's teeth...possibly rarer... ;)

Hi all,
Just returned to Perth with 'Nimiane' under tow after 12 months cruising the east coast of Oz.
What a brilliant experience.
From being nothing more than a tinnie owner to having a live-on cruising boat.
So many brilliant places, people, experiences and so much to learn and learnt about boating along with the way.
Just a few pics of the trip across Oz for now.

Attachments

• DSC01831 (Small).JPG
    DSC01831 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01841 (Small).JPG
    DSC01841 (Small).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC01853 (Small).JPG
    DSC01853 (Small).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 80
I love that first picture! A boat on a trailer in a desert.

I think it deserves a "caption this photo" thread. :D

Hi all,
Just returned to Perth with 'Nimiane' under tow after 12 months cruising the east coast of Oz.
What a brilliant experience.
From being nothing more than a tinnie owner to having a live-on cruising boat.
So many brilliant places, people, experiences and so much to learn and learnt about boating along with the way.
Just a few pics of the trip across Oz for now.

Not only do you guys down there drive on the wrong side of the road... you also load your boats on the trailer the wrong way!. :rofl:

What a great trip.. nice looking rig!
HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD,
We had quite a discussion about which end was which some time ago. In pic #1 you're looking at the stern on the customary end of the trailer. It's an aft wheelhouse/cabin like the "Piper Trawler" that advertises here.
I like this boat a lot. Not anything like it in this country.

Last edited:
Not only do you guys down there drive on the wrong side of the road... you also load your boats on the trailer the wrong way!. :rofl:

What a great trip.. nice looking rig!
HOLLYWOOD

But if the trailer is on the wrong side of the road...isn't the boat facing the right way? :D

Besides...down there aren't trailers biorientational? :eek:

I love that first picture! A boat on a trailer in a desert.

I think it deserves a "caption this photo" thread. :D

I knew I shoulda took that right turn at Albuquerque.

townsville-magnetic isl-palm isl-hinchinbrook isl

After reviewing some of my pics of a year cruising the east coast of Oz, here is a taste of a particularly enjoyable cruise.
1.fueling-up at Townsville
2.horseshoe bay -magnetic island
3.whale rock -baring bay-magnetic
4.palm island with orpheous island in far distance
5.hinchinbrook island
6.hinchinbrook passage
7.woke to this on first morning in passage
8.& 9.& 10. along the passage to cardwell

Attachments

• DSC01325 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01325 (Copy).JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 127