Tornado in Sydney?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
At 1151 the Weather Bureau issued a "severe thunderstorm warning" with destructive winds, large hail and heavy rain/flooding likely. A likely tornado with 213 kmh winds was reported at 1030 at Kurnell (near Sydney Airport).
We are maybe 20km north of Kurnell, I`ve seen brief heavy rain, heard thunder, but nothing like what is being forecast, so it must be localised. The forecast covers a wide area north south and west of Sydney, we may see something yet. We do need rain, but not "feast or famine" weather.
It`s 1216 here now, next forecast at 1255. Calm, quiet,dry, here right now.

Warnings still current, now extending well north of Sydney up the coast. Early studies of the events at Kurnell support it was a tornado. At home, all quiet except distant thunder. Most cells are going across the coast out to sea except for one moving up the coast after giving Kurnell another whack. Rain radar is very colorful. Lots of work for panel and paint shops coming up.
I`d like some rain please, my 5000L tanks at 50%, but no tornado, thanks. No, we do have reticulated water, the tanks are a convenience, useful to avoid water restrictions when/if imposed. I installed them when Aussie "warmists" said it would never rain again(it has rained ever since).

If you get thunderstorms, you can get tornados, too. Peas in a pod....

We get plenty of thunderstorms, but not tornadoes, we`re not used to that. All seems well except for the good people in the Kurnell area. The airport, closed periodically,has reopened.I`d have liked more rain less noise.

If you get thunderstorms, you can get tornados, too. Peas in a pod....

Not Sydney. Those winds hit 213kph (do the old imperial maths), and they are the strongest winds ever recorded in the whole of New South Wales. Some places had hail the size of cricket...ah make that baseballs. True. Not climate change, surely..? :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom