Tidahapah Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hendo,
For once I can't take the credit for this job , I am just coughing up the Doh Ray Me.
The boys are doing a fantastic job and she is going to look like a new boat when completed.
Will get some more pics posted as work progresses.
Cheers
Benn

Well yesterday we went back into the water.
Most of the repairs and upgrades are done.
Masts will be stepped next week sometime, paravane arms finally fitted and halyards and other ropes fitted.
Dinghy chocks to be installed, gas bottle box back on deck and the 4 stick on/walk on 90 watt solar panels to be fitted to go with the 2 existing 85 watt conventional panels.
All going well the next 3 weeks should see everything done except for the final set up of the paravane arms and fish.
A few photos attached and also one of the new masts in the shed.
Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• P1000005.jpg
    P1000005.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 113
  • P1000010.jpg
    P1000010.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P1000012.jpg
    P1000012.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P1000013.jpg
    P1000013.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
Well, go Tidahapah, you good thing.

Looks great! :thumb: Gee, I hope the Eagle does not see the re fit as she can be so fickle! ;) What did they paint her with?

First class work. Beautiful lines. She will be capable of going anywhere.:thumb:

Nice! Between the sails and the paravanes she'll be rock solid in almost anything.
Have you chosen a sail design yet Benn? How much sail area will you have?

Thanks Guys,
Really looking forward to getting all the appendages on and the sails on the furlers.
Not sure of sail area but will post details once they are all worked out.

Phil,
You will be pleased to know the hull is painted with Dulux Weathershield enamel.
As good a finish as I have had with International Brightsides/Toplac and at 1/2 the price.
Cheers
Benn

Great restoration refit to a lovely lady. Qld seems to have some of the best classic timber trawlers anywhere, from special traditional designers, a pleasure to see.

Looking great Benn! As giddy as I am to see her rigged with sails up it's hard to imagine your level of anticipation :thumb:

Check that graceful bow and fine entry. She should ride as if on shock absorbers in a head sea.

Must admit I can't wait to see her with the masts up and sails on , rigged ready to go.
Stabiliser arms and fish are rigged just the stays to be made and retrieval winch positions to be sorted.
Some of this stuff will have to wait until I get home and on board.
The Boss and I will then head north to Hervey Bay for a short cruise and shake down.
Possibly leave the boat in Urangan for my next stint at work.
The anticipation is huge.

Don you are right on , she is one fantastic sea boat have punched home from the reef into some big seas over the last 17 odd years and she handles them with ease and also likes a following sea and goes as if she is on rails, 35 knots , 3 mt sea up the arse and I can leave the auto pilot on, she tracks like a dream.
Cheers
Benn

Last edited:
Gorgeous, Benn! You must be so pleased with the results. Lots of time, work and $$ to get here, no doubt. Will enjoy the picture of her under full sail with you and the Admiral smiling from the side deck. Nicely done.

Hey Benn,
It will be really interesting to hear from you how the paravanes perform in smoothhing out any roll, in comparison to the sails under the same conditions.

Not many boats have both, giving you the opportunity to do a real life test.

We are waiting with great anticipation!

AusCan,
Funny you mentioned that.
My mate on Waverly has just headed north. Crossed the Wide bay bar a few days ago.
He has both, a good big powerful rig and paravanes.
He swears by both in different conditions.
Any body up north see Darren and Pieta on Waverly give them a hoy.
She is one beautiful vessel and an absolute credit to them both.
They are headed north and then across to the Louisiades and beyond.

This boat is a bit special as it has a marinised Mac truck engine and a very well done job.
The patterns for the manifolds actually came from Mac in the USA many years ago.
Picture of Waverly attached, she is a bit different now with a slightly bigger rig and longer and more robust outrigger arms.
Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• Waverley.jpg
    Waverley.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Oz has the best population of motor sailors on the planet IMO. Speed through your shift Benn and when ya get back let's see how good Tidahapah 2.0 looks. :thumb:

Craig,
It looks like the masts are ready and should be down the yard in a couple of days time.
Doug is standing the outrigger arms as we speak and all going well masts may be stepped Friday or very early next week.
Will post photos as I get them.
Cheers
Benn

AusCan,
Funny you mentioned that.
My mate on Waverly has just headed north. Crossed the Wide bay bar a few days ago.
He has both, a good big powerful rig and paravanes.
He swears by both in different conditions.
Any body up north see Darren and Pieta on Waverly give them a hoy.
She is one beautiful vessel and an absolute credit to them both.
They are headed north and then across to the Louisiades and beyond.

This boat is a bit special as it has a marinised Mac truck engine and a very well done job.
The patterns for the manifolds actually came from Mac in the USA many years ago.
Picture of Waverly attached, she is a bit different now with a slightly bigger rig and longer and more robust outrigger arms.
Cheers
Benn

Yes - it would certainly be nice to have both. The sails hold us steady 75% of the time, but for me aren't much use heading within +/-25 degrees of the wind; or during the day or two after a big blow when the seas are still confused but the winds are dead calm.

Waverly appears to be a beautiful beast!

looking forward to the new Avatar

Must admit I have had a good run with contractors and suppliers on this project.
Yesterday yard rang me to say we required another wing ( I know sail guy stuff)
I reckoned we had it but apparently Ronstan had supplied a size 18 instead of a 28 ( Andersen s/s winches)
I rang them re this, they checked invoice, what stock they had , packed new winch and had it air freighted yesterday, included in the package is bag etc for return of smaller winch.
Can't ask for better service than that. I know it was their fault but they addressed it simply, quickly and no fuss whatsoever.

Other than that all is coming together nicely.
Mast standing day is now Wed.
Cheers
Benn

You must be pacing the docks like an expectant father paces the halls of a hospital. We're all sitting here in the waiting room with you, Benn! Hope your baby is as pretty and as healthy as you envision!

Looking good Benn,
I'm looking forward to seeing where you're positioning your rig and winches.
cheers, John

John
Fwd mast is just in front of the wheelhouse eye brow (50 mm)
Mizzen mast is virtually on the aft eng room bulkhead.
Winches will depend on Cookie the rigger as I am not at home to have much input.

Attache are a couple of photos of todays gloss 1 st coat.
using standard Dulux exterior Gloss enamel.
I used International Toplac last time ( Brightsides replacement) Now they want $80.00 per 2 lt tin , like bloody hell.
This is a timber plank boat the paint job is not going to last more than a few years.
Cheers
Benn
Just looking thru this subject thread. do you two guys have the same type vessels?? ...appears as though they look very similar.

Well yesterday we went back into the water.
Most of the repairs and upgrades are done.
Masts will be stepped next week sometime, paravane arms finally fitted and halyards and other ropes fitted.
Dinghy chocks to be installed, gas bottle box back on deck and the 4 stick on/walk on 90 watt solar panels to be fitted to go with the 2 existing 85 watt conventional panels.
All going well the next 3 weeks should see everything done except for the final set up of the paravane arms and fish.
A few photos attached and also one of the new masts in the shed.
Cheers
Benn
Nice looking vessel :thumb:

Brian,
Both boats designed by Fred Fleming, flamingo was built by Fred himself ( as his own boat at the time)and mine by Bert Ellis.
Both very fine timber boat builders here in Qld.
Fred has passed away but Bert is still going but not building.
Actually called in to see him a couple of weeks ago.
I have to give him some photos of Tidahapah when the refit is complete.
Go to classic boats again and view photos of Flemingo and Waverly both boats were featured in the book.
Fred also built Rufred for himself also featured in the book.
Cheers
Benn

Cheers
Benn

OK a bit of action today.
The boys moved Tidahapah down to the travel lift bay and the 2 masts were stepped.
Rigging now being fitted.
The original s/s funnel now has to be cut and shut to fit around the mizzen mast lower spreader.
This spreader allows the stays to run perpendicular to vessel sides and not impede side decks.
Booms and furlers next
Solar panels to be stuck to side decks of wheelhouse top tomorrow and all mast wires to be connected, VHFs, HF, radar and lights.
Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 110
Extra pic

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 113
WOW!
Looks so well balanced, like those masts were meant to be there from day one.

Crikey, with those masts, and therefore sailing/steadying potential, you just might be wasting your money on paravanes Benn..? Looks fantastic...I'm envious...I still have many happy memories of our sailing days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom